Movies with BM/WW Couples

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Kid Rasta, Jan 13, 2006.

1. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

Yeah I had already seen the flick and caught that.

2. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

3. darkcurry

I thought that was Jenna Dewan at first. Sarah Hyland looks different in this movie.

4. darkcurry

This was a good Doc-Flick. If you like documentaries about musicians then this is a good in depth and stylish take on it.

5. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

People just found out about that "Sweetness in the Belly" movie today after this was tweeted out:

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1169262378719956992
    [​IMG]
    https://deadline.com/video/dakota-fanning-sweetness-belly-toronto-film-festival-clip/

LOL, They mad! Here's a twitter search for "Sweetness in the Belly": https://twitter.com/search?q=Sweetness In The Belly

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  6. darkcurry

This is why reading is fundamental(lol) here is the full description of the film which is based on a novel by Camilla Gibbs.

She's a BRITISH orphan that was raised that way. And the media KNEW what they were doing here. The people in this era are angry, afraid and hypersensitive and that is a BAD mixture of emotions. They overreact to damn near everything. The description of this movie which is more than likely how the movie will play out is not what they are thinking and let's you know she is an ORPHAN. But when you have these bad mixture of emotions and on top of that they are willfully and blithely ignorant they are going to take it the wrong way and nothing will change their minds.

That headline shows the media's part in this because the description CLEARLY states that she is British who traveled to Ethiopia after being raised in Morocco. But reasonable and common sense isn't the state that these people are in. Proof: Dakota Fanning even cleared it up and they STILL weren't having it.
    [​IMG]
    https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1169403298945720320

THE MEDIA SHOWS ONCE AGAIN THEY ARE RACIST! They knew what they were doing with that headline.

As I have said before; people live in these boxes in life especially Americans and they think anything outside of that box isn't right. Shoutout to the people that think outside of the box.

7. darkcurry

^^ Now with that out of the way I would just like to put out that both of the Fanning Sisters have IR romance movies with a Black love interest coming out this year.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. ColiBreh1

Looks like this online controversy got big enough that The Hollywood Reporter had to put a report out on it:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...-whitewashing-allegations-muslim-role-1236897

9. darkcurry

Whitewashing? Smh.
    It would be whitewashing if they made the black guy white. She's described as white in the book. Just like he's described as black in the book. You're not allowed to say the term Interracial Romance in Mainstream but that's what it is.

Meanwhile a white ginger mermaid is black and that's just fine. Especially since they kept her Prince white.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. darkcurry

11. ryanpaulstewart

ryanpaulstewart Well-Known Member

12. darkcurry

A list of some of the films debuting at TIFF that features IR(bm/ww):

Waves -
    Set against the vibrant landscape of South Florida, and traces the epic emotional journey of a suburban African-American family— led by a well-intentioned but domineering father—as they navigate love, forgiveness and coming together in the aftermath of a loss. The cast includes Emmy-winner Sterling K. Brown, Tony Award winner Renée Elise Goldsberry, Kelvin Harrison Jr., Oscar-nominee Lucas Hedges, Taylor Russell, and Euphoria’s Alexa Demie.

Seberg -
    [​IMG]

Inspired by real events about the French New Wave darling and Breathless star, Jean Seberg, who in the late 1960s was targeted by Hoover's FBI, because of her political and romantic involvement with civil rights activist Hakim Jamal.

Sweetness In The Belly -
    [​IMG]

The immigrant romance drama sees Lilly Abdal (Fanning), “a woman caught between two places: one of her birth parents and the other, where she was adopted, raised and fell in love. Orphaned in Africa as a child, Lilly’s first experience of her parents’ homeland of England is as a refugee, escaping civil war.

As lost in this cold new world as her fellow immigrants, Lilly becomes the heart of this disenfranchised community in London, attempting to reunite people with their scattered families. But as her friend Amina discovers, Lilly’s mission isn’t purely altruistic and a passionate lost love affair is revealed between Lilly and Aziz (Abdul-Mateen II), an idealistic doctor.”

Thirsty -
    A mosquito — hilariously voiced by Maya Rudolph — drinks the blood of a newly single and broken-hearted man and promptly falls in love with him, in Nicole Delaney’s fantastical comedy about being unconditionally accepted by those who we desire, no matter the species.
    (Uhhh the carpet don't match the drapes on this one, but we'll see. LOL!) It stars Maya Rudolph(voice), Jay Ellis, Anna Cordell.

13. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

I recall The Dark King trashing the casting when I posted it on the Upcoming IR Slate thread. He couldn't buy the idea of Tyler James Williams in a romantic role. But I think he looks pretty solid in the clips we're given.

14. JamalSpunky

Thanks for the mention, Coli.

These folks are too stupid to read and too lazy to learn what's coming down the pipe until they are hit with a trailer. If I knew about this shit how did these easily agitated mofos not know of its development. Its directed by an acclaimed Ethiopian director (I hope he has taken the lead in defending Fanning's casting btw) and it stars a rising African American actor. The book has been out for quite awhile and Saoirse Ronan was to star until conflict in scheduling got in the way. The story has always been about a white chick. Its premise in fact threw me aback a bit and I knew its premise would draw criticism from the usual suspects. But I thought it would have happened much earlier such as after the initial announcement of the film. When I saw the first clip drop for TIFF a few days back I thought it was a careful choice by focusing on Fanning's interaction with black women rather than her love interest.

15. JamalSpunky

"Waves" doesn't have a bm/ww pairing because Alexa Demie is Latino (and NOT a white Latino either).

I was wondering how "Thristy" got past me before I learned it is a short. I myself never count shorts because they are just too many of them and will rarely see trailers or promotions of them to confirm what's going on. And I'm certain 99.9% of the general population will never get a chance to see this because shorts are mostly shown at film festivals. There is an independent film channel that gives them a platform from time to time and ITunes may allow you to buy/watch a handful, particularly those nominated for Oscars, but that's about it.

16. JamalSpunky

How was the media racist? Deadline had previously never even used a reference of her race in the titles of any of its stories/announcements about the movie until this conjured controversy forced its hand.

17. ColiBreh1

I'm assuming because "Sweetness in the Belly" is a indie film. The average person ain't keeping up with news about indie films.

18. JamalSpunky

I get that but if you want to be the fucking guardians of everything black cinema (in order to whine about shit) they should have been on top of it.

19. darkcurry

You just love coming over here picking. How many times have non white latino women have been mentioned before you have said something. We were JUST talking about a Asian woman with a black man the other day. Not to mention Francia Raisa on grown-ish.

I don't believe for one minute Deadline didn't know what they were doing calling her character a "white ethiopian muslim woman" which is why they along with Dakota cleaned it up. It doesn't even say that in the description of the book or film. No one said that but Deadline.
    Other folks caught it as well.
    How did you not catch that?
    I don't get you at times, bro. lol.

20. ColiBreh1

From what I understand, "The Hot Women around the World" thread is a safespace thread to post about non-white women. That's why I posted all the Jeannie Mai stuff in that thread. As for Francia Raisa, I just assume she puts down "White" as her race on the census & other government documents like most Latinos do.