Movies with BM/WW Couples

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Kid Rasta, Jan 13, 2006.

1. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

I'm finally watching "Someone Great". Watching the trailer before I started the movie, I have to wonder is this movie the reason Lizzo blew-up, specifically her hit single "Truth Hurts"?

2. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

This has been my take of the Rock to an extent for years as well. The only issue is that because of his physical appearance he is one of those black people that don't necessarily have to play black characters. If its Will, Denzel, Idris, etc or eve a lightskin biracial black actor such as Justice Smith, their outward appearance will always make them black ON THE SCREEN regardless of the nationality of their onscreen characters. Johnson on the other hand is more tricky. If I wanted to I suppose I can assume each time he steps out on the screen he is a black person of some sort of mixed racial heritage. But often enough I don't do that ad I'm not certain why. Obviously most people feel like me otherwise black people, especially black women, would be all over him a lot more for being a sellout for being on the screen With All Them White Women. But fortunately for Johnson because of his outward appearance he is free from all that nonsense, both off screen and onscreen. He is treated like a non-black man of color which means he has a lot more options in who he gets to woo in movies. I tend to chalk up his IR hookups when his character is defined as being black. Movies such as "Walking Tall" because we see his black father and his black siblings or a more recent one like "Skyscraper" because his two kids he has with his onscreen white wife are played by two black children. In Rampage his character is named Davis Okoye and Okoye is a Nigerian surname which made me do my mental gymnastics as picturing him as a child of a Nigerian dad and white mother who was raised in the USA. I would have been happy to assume Hobbs is black too despite not seeing any trace of his kin in previous F&F movies, but with this play up of his Samoan heritage in this recent flick I can't say I feel that way anymore. Hobbs isn't exactly a Samoan surname of course, but maybe its a nickname.

3. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

He is like the perfect mixture of his mom and his dad.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

But when The Rock he was with The Nation Of Domination it was more clear and obvious he was half black because he was able to play up that image. Even The cocky "The Rock" character played up to that image.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Which shows you how tricky the social construct of race is and how image obsessed Hollywood is. When he started to get Bigger and Bigger he had to become more racial friendly. Meaning he became more racially ambiguous. Especially with him being half samoan. But to be honest with you there are some samoans out there that look like they could pass for black. When Jason Momoa was on Stargate Atlantis I thought that was some light-skinned or biracial black dude. lol.
    [​IMG]

I had to look at him hard before I came to the conclusion that "nah I don't think this dude is even half black" lol.

But it just goes to show that it is important to folks that WE meet those guidelines of the social construct of race whether they love us or hate us. Because Justice Smith can pass more for a black man than The Rock can and Justice Smith is half black and half WHITE!
    [​IMG]

The Rock is a black and brown man. So The Rock with a white woman is more IR than a brotha that is half black and half white. BUT since Justice has embraced that image on and off screen more while Dwayne became more racially ambiguous and played up to the image of his samoan side off and on screen he slowly drifted away from being looked at as Black.

But the fact is... Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson is black. lol.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  4. darkcurry

Apparently there is some IR in the new Netflix movie OtherHood with the guy playing Angela Bassett's son and a female named Angel.

Elizabeth Cappuccino Underwear Scene in Otherhood - Pic - small.png

5. meowkittenmeow

meowkittenmeow Well-Known Member

Is that movie any good?

6. darkcurry

I don't know I just seen the pic on someone else's twitter feed and they mentioned it.

7. meowkittenmeow

Then watch it and report back.

8. darkcurry

Since it is throwback thursday here is a movie I never heard of but I might check out.

Wuthering Heights(2011)

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

An epic love story that spans childhood well into the young adult years, the film follows Heathcliff, a boy taken in by a benevolent Yorkshire farmer, Earnshaw. Living in Earnshaw's home, Heathcliff develops a passionate relationship with the farmer's teenage daughter, Catherine, inspiring the envy and mistrust of his son, Hindley. When Earnshaw passes away, the now-grown characters must finally confront the intense feelings and rivalries that have built up throughout their years together.

9. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Kristi bell in house of lies and Margot Robbie in focus are two great examples of golden girls in their prime wh had love scenes with Black menand relationships on film at least

10. meowkittenmeow

Margot was starting out and is Australian. And Kristi... she is just... different, in a good way.

11. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

I get what you are saying foreign women do seem to be more comfortable expressing their interest and attraction to B M.

12. darkcurry

That's because negative views of black men run DEEEP in this country. Not to mention we have the Black Gynocracy acting like The Loving Decision only applied to them.

Most of the mainstream models that date black men are foreign. If you spot some American Model with a black man you might have to check if she have an accent. LOL!

13. ryanpaulstewart

ryanpaulstewart Well-Known Member

Kristen Bell is different in the best way possible.

14. meowkittenmeow

It’s refreshing to see an individual in a herd of followers.

15. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Amen to that she’s pretty much close to my dream firl

16. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

Julia Stiles is like Kristi different.

17. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

I learned something every day.

18. darkcurry

Watched some of Otherhood and honestly couldn't get through the rest of it because it dragged. But as far as the IR goes
    It turned out that the girl was 17 years old and he did not know it even though he told his Mother he has been seeing her for four months. Odd. Matt plays this womanizer who it looked like he was about to find somethin in another female a black female that his mother befriended named Julia.

So it's a pass on the IR. Too weird. lol.

I'm on to checking out Wuthering Heights. I have a feeling this movie is going to be good. But I don't want to jinx anything. lol.

19. darkcurry

Travis Scott - Look Mom I Can Fly | Extended Trailer | Netflix

20. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

I'm almost done watching "The Last Summer". I wouldn't consider this a love triangle at all. Jacob Latimore & Halston Sage's characters are an established couple who break-up early in the movie and they both date other people after the break-up. They get back together at the end of film. There isn't really love triangle between Jacob Latimore, Halston Sage, & Tyler Posey as the trailer implies because Jacob Latimore's character is dating Gage Golightly's character during the break-up.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019