The Nerdz Lounge.

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Ra, Dec 12, 2010.

1. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Then you haven't been watching the numbers. Arrow and Flash have been tanking like an anchor since they've pushed this water down nonsense. Women may shop more but as far as entertainment goes men fuel this engine. If you think the superhero genre is going to survive without men we'll have to see I guess. Black Lightning is a great example of what happens when you make something strictly for women in the action genre.

2. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I own it on DVD. The show was meh.

3. The Dark King

Half? Less than that. This may sound sexist but women aren't entertained the way we are and more importantly they don't live with in their imagination the way men do. Women aren't buying life size action figures of Batman, they aren't playing pretend with a bow and arrow to the degree men do. The reason you have characters like Superman and Batman last for several decades is because little boys and grown men fantasize about being them. If the action fantasy genre becomes "uplifting" women at the expense of men at every turn everyone loses. Girl fans actually like seeing men kick ass and save women as long as they aren't overbearing about it. The current writing appeals to fans with fleeting interests who will flock to the next thing men like because they either want to be men or envy them. I probably sound like a broken recodrd with the Buffy example but a large part of why that show was so damn successful was because it was so light hearted and the character just so happened to be a woman and it didn't dominate the show and they didn't need to make men look bad in order to deliver a good show.

4. The Dark King

Has it? Yeah there were female leads like in Charmed but Supernatural was a great example of a male lead show that didn't pander to girls but did great. Smallville was pretty great as well and even though some might disagree but shows like Xena and Hercules did great as well.

5. ColiBreh1

I did mention in my previous post there are plenty of exceptions. "Supernatural", "Smallvile", "Angel", & etc. are examples of those exceptions.

6. SilverSmith

SilverSmith Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Amazon Greenlights Hanna Season 2

Hanna has been renewed for a second season at Amazon.

The series, which debuted on March 29, is based on the 2011 film of the same name. It follows the titular 15-year-old Hanna (Esmé Creed-Miles), who was raised in total seclusion in the remote woods of Eastern Europe. She has spent her entire young life training to fight those who hunt her and her mercenary father, Erik Heller (Joel Kinnaman). Her survivalist skills are finally tested when she and Erik are separated upon their discovery by a rogue CIA operative, Marissa Wiegler (Mireille Enos) and her team of agents. Hanna must fight for her life to get back to her father and stop those who are targeting them.

Season 2 is slated to air in 2020.

http://tinyurl.com/y2g4sltd

7. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Like it's been mentioned CW since it's WB days has primarly heavily women driven shows. The much praised Buffy the Vampire Slayer and it spin-off child Angel was aimed at a female audience. Supernatural went beyond it ending rightfully years ago due it's female fan base. The diffence now is more women actually working as producers, showrunners, writers and directors on shit so now it's actual female voice and slant to content than when dudes do it. Nobody had issues with shit as long as dudes were the creative talent and controled content.

Same exact thing going on at the comic book end of things as far as female characters, non white characters & gay characters. More women helming female characters, more non white folks handling non white characters & gay folks handlling gay characters rather than the long standing practice of primarily white dudes being the voice for everybody & everything. Motherfuckers wanting to maintain the status quo & gate keep shit are the ones having problems and showing their asses because it's no longer about the limited bullshit they want everything to be about.

8. meowkittenmeow

meowkittenmeow Well-Known Member

Solid points. I get a bit annoyed when they add sexism in their stories, but it was inevitable for things to end this way. IMO, the CW is a tad bit too tame for the dark matters of what comics are doing now. So, I am glad that the shows are venturing to streaming apps that can better handle the more adult subject matter. The CW was always for a more cookie-cutter teen audience (mostly female teen audience). Hell, smallville was a purely teen super hero soap opera. I think most of us are tired of the soap opera stuff and look forward to the larger subject matters dealt with in an adult manner (Titans and Doom Patrol are doing a great job of that).

9. SilverSmith

Saber Interactive and Focus Home Interactive have unleashed the World War Z promo trailer, which you can watch below. Available on consoles and PC on April 16, the co-op shooter was inspired by Paramount Pictures‘ action thriller.

[​IMG]

10. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

I would take away sexism and add feminism to what you said. Sexism is real and something women do face and a problem I'm on their side with in fighting against. It's appropriate to add to these stories just as racism is. Ignoring bigotry doesn't do anything against it just helps keeps folks ignorant on the matters. The Feminism is the problematic thing seeing how those women think and how anti-black male they are. As I have said before is something that black men should not EVER support.

11. meowkittenmeow

You misunderstand. Sexism is real. When they make comments like "toxic Masculinity" etc. it genders toxic behavior which is the sexism I am referring to. I don't plan to go too far into it, but we are essentially saying the same thing. IE. Sexism= ok when it is directed at males=feminism.

12. darkcurry

Feminism got a hold of sexism and made it that way and does things like that which is why I pointed it out. Much like these pro-black airheads got a hold of racism. People following the wrong folks (blind leading the blind) when it comes to those things. I was just trying to be clear because I know some times folks on here will lose sense of those things. I knew what you meant. I should've made that clear myself. lol.

13. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Last little thought I forgot to put in my last post: Black Lightning isn't tanking due to trying to appeal to a female audience. It's tanking because Salim Akil's dumb ass is going above and beyond in trying to make that show into a typical black family melodrama to try to appeal to black folks rather than let it be a comic book adventure show that features a black family. Shit load of black nerds (male & female) that were willing to ride with the show after the first season have said they are now out after this last season due to it not being the comic action/adventure show it should be.

14. meowkittenmeow

Sounds like a few of the problems that Luke cage had.

15. SilverSmith

Hold up, she was previously confirmed in a live-action TV spot, but today we’re getting the offical Kitana reveal trailer for Mortal Kombat 11.

16. darkcurry

They over do this shit. To the point it turns people off like hell!

17. The Dark King

I guess that explains the decline in sales and interest.

18. ColiBreh1

19. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

20. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

According to who? The same lying & complaining mostly white male wanna be gate keepers?