Movies with BM/WW Couples

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Kid Rasta, Jan 13, 2006.

1. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

Yeah I caught that too.

2. darkcurry

Trailer #2 For The Rhythm Section

3. SilverSmith

SilverSmith Well-Known Member

All The Bright Places:

The following synopsis has been provided by Netflix:

Adapted from the novel by Jennifer Niven, Violet Markey ( Elle Fanning) and Theodore Finch (Justice Smith), meet and change each other’s lives forever. As they struggle with the emotional and physical scars of their past, they come together, discovering that even the smallest places and moments can mean something.

[​IMG]

Note: Image previously posted and deleted due to hosting problem.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. darkcurry

Sounds pretty good. Although it would've been something I would have released close to Valentine's day. Just my marketing sense tells me the numbers could be higher around that date. But the book is pretty popular so we'll see. Just need a trailer now.

5. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

Which one of them ends up dead?

6. SilverSmith

SilverSmith Well-Known Member

Both at the same time -in a hail of bullets, I might add, like Beatty and Dunaway in Bonnie and Clyde. Ride or die.

7. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

I was thinking more of your typical tragic romantic death. Maybe a slow-killing illness (lots of guy wrenching hospital scenes) or we-all-saw-it-coming car wreck (why else do they show some random car ride for that long with that ominous music?)

8. Target 02

Target 02 Active Member

9. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

10. darkcurry

For some reason I thought it was coming out this weekend. lol. I got confused. It comes out next week. Still don't know If I'll be able to go see it. I want to. I like these thriller action flicks in theatres. The sex scene would be a first in a while for me to watch in a theatre.

11. Target 02

Target 02 Active Member

Blake Lively mentioned her pre-baby body and how she misses it. Good photo to show off, I say.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  12. darkcurry

Those abs are luscious.:)

13. Young Herschel

Young Herschel Well-Known Member

Wish that dude was substantially darker :(

Just kidding :)

14. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

You may or may not have meant it as a joke but I'm for one am tired of seeing an over representation of one type of skin tone for black actors. So I'm happy to see Justice Smith getting work.

15. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

You think dark-skinned actors are overrepresented? Would your position change if we didn't count Black Panther lol?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

No mention of this supernatural horror film "Fantasy Island" opening this weekend?:

Looks like Maggie Q's character has a BM love interest in the film.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

Lol they turned Fantasy Island into horror?

Fun fact: the Q stands for Quigley.

• List
  18. JamalSpunky

Sterling K Brown
    Denzel Washington
    Chadwick Boseman
    Samuel L Jackson
    Jamie Foxx
    Daniel Kaluuya
    Idris Elba
    Mahershala Ali
    Brian Tyree Henry
    LaKeith Stanfield
    Yahya Abdul Mateen
    Gary Carr
    David Oyelowo
    Don Cheadle
    Trevante Rhodes
    Anhony mackie
    John Boyega
    Forest Whitaker
    Mike Colter
    Aldis Hodge
    Rob Morgan
    Jason Mitchell
    Shameik Moore
    Damson Idris
    Y'lan Noel
    Willam Jackson harper
    Courtney B Vance
    Kevin Hart
    Tyrese
    Derek Luke
    Taye Diggs
    Michael Kenneth Williams'

This was easy to put together and I left off some name. I also tried not to include guys who were still too new and haven't done anything substantial enough to be noticed by the mainstream and I also didn't include guys like Wesley Snipes who haven't gotten much work over the last five years. But the guys I did list represent the vast majority of leading or co-leading roles by black men on western TV and in western movies (Check IMDB if you see names you don't recognize). If you try to come up with a list of lighter skin black males you won't come close to matching the numbers. But, hey, someone here can always give it an attempt. Hell, I didn't even thrown in Michael B Jordan's name.

Don't get me wrong. I do believe that darker skin black men should make up the majority of the talent because in terms of skin complexion they make up the majority of black males in general across the globe. But in terms of TV/Movie representation dark skinned black men are in a great position. This ain't the 19302 or 1940s. There is no under representation going on with them nor is there and undervaluing of them on that front, which is exactly the opposite of black actresses. The Hollywood and UK media industry act too often as if dark skin black women and light skin black men don't exist, relatively speaking of course. Suggesting, even in a joke, that there is some shortage of dark skin black actors if you take away a particular comic book film, is as disingenuous as the ADOS crowd's belief that black British actors are getting all the roles. Numbers tell otherwise.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  19. JamalSpunky

1 - That looks awful. No wonder they buried it.

2- Pena can't keeping being the lone American born Latino male representation in Hollywood. Just as with Chips he is miscast because he reminds you nothing of original Latino actors who filled those iconic TV roles.

3-Not certain Maggie Q has a black love interest. What she may have are memories of a dead black husband and a dead daughter.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  20. JamalSpunky

God bless this woman for having the guts to do this. Other white actresses in that rare position probably would have never drawn attention to being in bed with a black actor for a scene.