Star Wars

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Thump, Dec 13, 2015.

1. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Wow that's crazy because before that first film I was never really interested in Star Trek. I was Star Wars only but he made the action way cooler. The next two were meh don't even remember them outside of Cumberbatch being in them

2. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

I will give him that he made it all pew pew for the non-Trek fans, but if you were coming from the TV shows story-wise they were horrible. The casting wasn't so bad but I only just now as of Wonder Woman started buying Chris Pine as a grown man. I hated how Uhura went from African queen to valley girl with a tan, also that Spock relationship ugh

Merry Xmas to you guys.

3. The Dark King

Yeah never got the Spock relationship but I looked at it as fan service for nerds who felt like they were Spock.
    Live long and prosper

4. Frederick

Frederick Well-Known Member

The shit with Spock's fake stepsister in Discovery is far worse than the relationship with Uhura.

Although, I'm less pissed off about the new Trek after I read about the rights split between Paramount and CBS, and the fact that Paramount has to substantially change Star Trek in order to produce new Trek related content.

It was actually Les Moonves who killed Star Trek by refusing to produce any new TV shows or movies under the CBS banner because he doesn't like Sci Fi.

Here's a video on the topic for anybody who's interested:

As fas as I'm concerned, none of the stuff from 2009 onward is really Star Trek, including the new Picard show, which is reportedly so bad that it's unwatchable after the first test screenings.

5. Frederick

Finally saw a person with a verified account on Twitter call out JJ Abrams for how poorly Finn's character is written and how it plays into stereotypes. This got a shitload of likes, and the usual annoying new Star Wars defenders avoided the thread like the plague.

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1208564204103356416?s=20

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. The Dark King

Saw the movie yesterday to appease the group. There was nothing to really do since it was Christmas and after gift giving and breakfast not much to do till dinner so we went. Men to Star Wars the women to Little Women.
    Action wise it was pretty cool story wise it was dumb af.
    They totally phoned it in.
    Aside from obvious story problems can someone please explain Kylo's saber. Why did it have exposed wires?
    And most importantly part of what made someone a Jedi was not giving into the dark side of the force. So we're gonna ignore the legions of people this piece of shit slaughtered because he was mad at his uncle?
    Totally disappointing

7. The Dark King

All I can say is true fucking story.
    Hollywood is such a great window into the psyche or what they think the psyche of the American public is. They act like racists will burn down all of California if they see black men as full romantic characters in a mainstream movie smh

8. Frederick

This what's so ridiculous about the Reylo/Ben Solo fangirls. The character literally perpetrated genocide, but they wanted him to redeem himself by using a different colored lightsaber so that he could hook up with Rey.

Shit makes no sense at all. Anakin/Vader could only redeem himself in the original trilogy by giving his life. The Kylo/Ben fans are just a bunch of females (and a few dudes) who want to fuck Adam Driver and didn't care about a coherent story so long as his character got the most screen time and Rey.

I'm glad that Reylos got curbed hard with the ending. They were by far the most annoying group of fans for the past few years.

9. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

They were annoying, but I think the worse fans were the Finn/Poe shippers, they actually convinced themselves that Star Wars was going to have a lead character gay relationship in their billion-dollar international franchise. It's even more silly when you think about the fact that the............

** very mild spoiler**

..............two-second lesbian kiss at the end of the latest movie has been edited out of the film in ultra-conservative countries.

10. SilverSmith

SilverSmith Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Official concept art from Chapter 7 of The Mandalorian
    by Christian Alzmann and Ryan Church.

11. Frederick

Yeah, I was going to post about the kiss being edited out of the movie in Singapore for a PG-13 rating. It's funny as fuck that the pro-LGBT crowd is angry about this considering this is the same shit that happened with Finn's character getting de-emphasized in the TFA poster because the Chinese market isn't receptive to black leads.

[​IMG]

The funny part is that Disney played themselves by trying to make these movies friendlier to the Asian market considering how unsuccessful that they've been there. The Joker did a billion without a Chinese release. If you make a quality product, people will come.

12. Frederick

RE the Poe/Finn crowd. You're probably right about them being the worst group.

This also goes back to what I wrote a couple weeks ago about these fake woke liberals using minority characters as empty vessels for their diversity checklist. The "strong" white female lead and her white male (or able to pass for white male) love interest get to have the conventional hetero relationship, but the token minorities get saddled with some kind of non-standard sexual orientation. Having a strong straight black male character in a mainstream production is anathema to Hollyweird liberals at present. It just doesn't happen.

I never thought that I'd say it, but I long for those 80s-90s movies where you'd get a strong black character that didn't have a love interest because the studio didn't want to offend racists. Yeah, it was frustrating, but at least many of those characters were badasses, and they weren't totally undermining the concept of black male masculinity in every release.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  13. Frederick

IMO the Reylos aren't quite the same as people who just want identity pandering.

It's a small group of weirdos who wanted Star Wars to be turned into some kind of YA Sci Fi romance story like Twilight, and Kathleen Kennedy and Rian Johnson were stupid enough to think that they could carry the franchise after disposing of the old fans. Yeah, most of them probably subscribe to the empty feminist BS, but the issue is that they wanted a total transformation of the nature of the series as opposed to just tokenism and the head of Lucasfilm agreed with them.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  14. meowkittenmeow

meowkittenmeow Well-Known Member

I think what is happening here is that we both agree on the same thing. The difference is I got the impression that you seemed surprised this was happening. It appears neither of us are surprised, both of us have seen this coming, and we are all tired of the weirdos trying to turn every film, franchise, and story into a “purple haired gender-werewolf piercing-empowering-snapchat filter”. So, we are in agreement.

15. The Dark King

Dope

16. Frederick

It's just a semantic quibble imo.

Honestly, I will admit that I'm still in denial about how incompetent Kathleen Kennedy is as a studio head after decades of being one of the most powerful producers in Hollywood.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  17. meowkittenmeow

We discussed this earlier, but I think Thump mentioned that being.a good producer doesn’t translate to understanding the creative side of things. It can, but it rarely does. It is made evident by KK’s poor work and leadership.

18. Frederick

It's not just the creative shortcomings though. It's the strategic incompetence on the business end.

They generally thought that they could change the entire Star Wars universe and bully the majority of fans into continuing to pay them money while bringing in a crowd that isn't interested in the brand at all to offset the fans that they lost.

19. Frederick

Anyway, enough arguing.

What I think that everybody here can agree on is that well-funded contemporary fan fiction/fan re-imagining is MUCH better than anything the current regime at Lucasfilm can churn out.

20. meowkittenmeow

I wasn’t arguing. I also agree that the fanboy community makes better films on a lower budget.