Weekly Workout Progress

Discussion in 'Health, Fitness and Fashion' started by babybro, Apr 23, 2011.

1. swirlman07

swirlman07 Well-Known Member

No, I think that you misunderstood. I do 16 - 20 sets per body part. I could never do more than chest and triceps together. I meant that I do the weighted push-ups at the end of my chest routine, and it's one of the exercises that will stabilize and strengthen the rotator cuffs.

2. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Today was just cardio. 20 minutes on the elipitical then two miles on the treadmill.

3. swirlman07

Make sure that you are doing your cardio at least three times, better four times a week. It should be challenging to do, not just a leisurely activity. Utilizing high intensity in your cardio will help you in two ways, you burn calories and you increase your metabolism, for hours after you finish your routine. It will help you to lose weight.

Good luck!!

4. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Thanks fam I really appreciate the input. I'm trying to look like an action figure by next year lol

5. 4north1side2

4north1side2 Well-Known Member

Someone told me that black people calve muscles sit lower than white people's that's why we can't build big calves... is that true? Like you guys, I have a hard time growing my calves...I noticed white folks who don't even work out be having monster calves.

6/5/11

Fallout:New Vegas has completely consumed my life. I haven't been to the gym for over a week and been eating garbage all day, everyday since then.

6. Leksola

Leksola New Member

Whoever brought up carbs.. You definitely should not cut them out, especially if you are pushing yourself daily with exercise. Just cut out the junk. Eat a moderate amount of wholegrains- dark rye bread, brown rice, quinoa, oats, barley, even some pasta at times. I find in America particularly a lot of bread has too much sugar. Cut out that crappy stuff and eat good quality carbs along with lean protein and veg and you can't go wrong.

Edited to add.. I'm no expert, but this is what works for me. The premier Australian scientific research body, the csiro has an eating plan developed by doctors, nutritionist and scienticists that is balanced and meets nutritional needs including vitamins and minerals based on this principle called the total well-being diet. It's good healthy, not fad eating which is high protein and moderate carbs.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  7. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

lol

we all get like that..when NCAA 12 football comes out, i'll probably take a week off from everything

my current vice now is Planetside, as old as it is. There is a 45-day free play for veterans going around, and i'm eating that up. I only worked out twice this week....TWICE!:smt100

8. swirlman07

Actually, just the opposite, many black people have calves that are higher and white people have calves that are lower. Black people also tend to have a more athletic build, wider shoulders, smaller waist and hips. Even among elite bodybuilders you can see the difference in calves between most of the top black bodybuilders and their white counterparts. You will also notice that black men tend to have incredible upper bodies with small waists.

9. swirlman07

Ditto, I agree completely. You need carbs to get you through a work out as they are most readily converted to energy. You also need carbs to assist in the metabolism of protein. Carbs are not a bad thing. Too many carbs are a bad thing, and the wrong kinds of carbs, those low on the gylcemic index. You should try to avoid too much of the simple carbs, sugary soft drinks and processed foods with sugars, white rice, white bread, processed carbs. It's better to take in complex carbs, brown rice, sweet potatoes and brown pasta. I actually avoid even brown bread though it's not bad if you can find a true whole wheat bread, not the typical Wonder WW bread. The bread is often doubly bad because it contains sugar as well as being processed.

Even in preparing for a contest to get razor sharp, I take in carbs, just less as I get closer to a contest, but never would I cut them out completely. After a contest I return to eating a much higher calorie diet with lots of carbs and I have never gotten fat or smooth as a result.

10. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

interesting you would mention that. i was browsing around a jiu jitsu forum and came across guys debating which diet methods were the best to prepare for tournaments. I never really looked into that and their strategies on making the weigh-in then adding nutrition before their actual fights. Carbs seem to be popping up everywhere.

11. swirlman07

If you recall one of message exchanges, I mentioned that in many competitive sports you want to be as strong as possible, at a minimal weight. All things considered, the strongest guy has the advantage.

One strategy that is similar, but used for different reasons is modifying your nutrition as you approach a competition.

Marathon and other long distance runners typically consume a large amount of carbs the evening before a race. The carbs provide the athlete the energy for the endurance aspect of long races.

Bodybuilders consume significantly less carbs as the contest approaches, often taking in only enough to just before workouts to have the endurance to make it through to the weigh-in which occurs the evening before the contest. Once they have made weight, they will consume food on a regular basis, called "junking up" or "carbing up" as many take in carbs to "fill out" their bodies and attain that "veiny" look.

Boxers and other fighting competitors employ similar methods to bodybuilders. They will diet down and make weight to be as light as possible. Once they weigh in they start adding carbs, protein and some fat back to their diets and more water to rehydrate themselves. Fighters can add up to 10 pounds of weight from the time they weigh in, which explains why some boxers look much bigger than the other during the fight. Of course with that additional weight comes increased strength and endurance.

Both bodybuilders and competitive fighters often walk around, meaning when they aren't competing, at weights that a up to 20 lbs. more than the weight they end up at by dieting for the weigh-in.

12. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

forgive my ignorance

i never had to worry about cutting weight or really taking care of my nutrition before now. Unlike football (where you can pretty much weigh whatever you want), every part of your body gets pushed to the max in competitions and dieting plays a huge factor. If they had some tournaments around philly, i'd definitely look into my diet and creating a solid week by week plan before the matches.

13. goodlove

goodlove New Member

wouldnt a vegan or veggie man be better off than most.

14. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

that's what people are turning to. If I were smart, id just ask my coach. I even contemplated taking pre-workout energy drinks before class, to see if they would give me any more fire.:drinkers:

15. swirlman07

It's never about ignorance, you only know what you know. We all learn as we talk to people, read about a topic or study it formally. Now, I've shared enough so that you can that information and do more research for yourself. That's the reason that you see these guys who are over 6' competing at a bodyweight of 180. Even Jon Jones at his height of 6'4" competes at 205.

16. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

i havent been 205 since...2003-04

that would be the class id like to compete it, or something similar

i used to weigh 225-230 (when I was bulking up), but that would make me a small heavyweight. I rolled with a guy who's listed as 320+ before, but that shit aint fun.

17. goodlove

goodlove New Member

well stated.

"Educated people know they dont know thus they ask. fools say they know it all."

18. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Im still trying to figure out if Im doing what is rite in my workouts. Im steering a little bit toward veggie but I dont know if i can gain weight doing that

19. swirlman07

When I was a competitive power lifter I was as ovo lacto vegetarian, meaning that I consumed dairy products and eggs, otherwise no meat whatsoever. I was as strong as I have ever been. Of course, I was lean, but very muscular. You can become a vegetarian but you have to really do the research to understand how to combine foods and utilize vitamins to get what you miss through meat. For instance, you still need protein but you get it by mixing grains and legumes together in one meal to supply all the amino acids necessary to have complete protein. There are studies that support the fact that creatine increases muscular and endurance. But, the prime source of creatine is red meat and fish. So, you might look into that as well.

As for energy before a workout, it's good to take in carbs before you work out. Personally, I mix blueberries, strawberries, yogart, sunflower seeds and a few walnuts a hour before I work out. Then, 15 mins. before I go to the gym I have a protein shake. Some people even have a cup of coffee as some studies suggest that it might help with endurance during the workout.

20. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

im still waiting for you to tell me where the frozen meal comes into place:smt043