Game of Thrones & GOT Spinoffs

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Max Mosley, May 26, 2011.

1. Young Herschel

Young Herschel Well-Known Member

^^^. It now makes sense regarding the casting choice for ST as he clearly is monoracial black as these Black family reunion BBQ pictures provide . . . in the HBO adaptation of "Fire & Blood" House Velaryon was a predominantly black family. I previously thought that Giancarlo Esposito was the wiser choice due to his biracial parentage but now I have a better idea of what direction HBO was going for. Doesn't make a bit of sense as a book reader but hey . . . it's fantasy after all.

2. Young Herschel

^^ 175 years later and not a Black Velaryon to be found in the Crownlands of Westeros as "Game of Thrones" airs season 2

3. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano Moderator

4. Young Herschel

This is not a fair comparison between the two though. What Peter Jackson and the screenwriters accomplished in the late 90's & early 00's was done on an unprecedented scale by a movie studio that shot everything over a three year span in New Zealand. The HBO adaptation of the aSoI&F book series was not nearly as major an undertaking from the cable station initially.
    The better comparison wouldn't be Amazon's "The Rings of Power" ???

5. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Steve Toussaint Reveals Racist Abuse After Being Cast In House of the Dragon

[​IMG]

Steve Toussaint has revealed he received racist abuse online after he was cast as Corlys Velaryon in the upcoming Game Of Thrones prequel House of the Dragon.

The 57-year-old British actor has previously starred in Doctor Who, Line of Duty and Death in Paradise.

Speaking to the Radio Times about his lead role in the highly anticipated HBO series, Toussaint said: “When they announced [my casting], one of the first things I saw on social media was a drawing of the character [from the books] next to a picture of me.

“And then there was the racist abuse that came with that.”

In the books by George RR Martin on which the series is based, the Velaryons are described as having white skin, ghostly pale hair and purple eyes. However, in the new series the clan are reimagined as black nobles with long silver dreadlocks.

Reflecting on the backlash from fans of the series of books, Toussaint continued: “I kind of thought: ‘Oh, I get it’. When we were criminals and pirates and slaves in the other show, you were OK with that.

“But as this guy is the richest [character] in the show and he’s a nobleman, now you have a problem with it.

“In House Of The Dragon [our colour] is just a given – I quite like that.”

Despite the risk that acknowledging the backlash could give it greater prominence, Toussaint said he thought it was important to address it.

“I don’t want this to be my story,” he said. “But I’m not going to deny that it happened. Because it does. It’s out there. And it should never be something that puts someone off from doing something they want to do.”

The actor also revealed he has wanted to be a part of the fantasy franchise for some time. After being unsuccessful in auditioning for series five of Game of Thrones, he later hoped to land a role in The Long Night – another prequel series which was later canned.

After being offered the role of Corlys, a nautical adventurer known as the Sea Snake, Toussaint felt the previous failed attempts were meant to be.

He said: “When [House of the Dragon] came up it felt as if I’d missed those others so I could be in it.”

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  6. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano Moderator

FB_IMG_1660134552718.jpg

7. SilverSmith

SilverSmith Well-Known Member

GOT: House of the Dragon" "Fire Will Reign" Promo

Based on George R.R. Martin's "Fire & Blood," the series, set 200 years before the events of "Game of Thrones," tells the story of House Targaryen.

8. SilverSmith

The Noble Houses in House of the Dragon

The two prominent houses in the series, the Velaryons and the Hightowers, are discussed in detail.

9. SilverSmith

House of The Dragon: R.R. Martin On Dragons & Their Magic

10. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Have the producers of House of the Dragon mentioned how many seasons they think they will do? Fire & Blood is one novel that is basically a history of the Targaryens from Aegon's conquest of Westeros up to the aftermath of the "Dance of the Dragons" which House of the Dragons is the focus. Interesting that Fire & Blood covers different eras of Targaryen rule in which multiple seasons for a TV series can be made but the original Game of Thrones series dropped the ball in the end due to not having an official end to the story they were telling.

11. Skaddix

Skaddix Well-Known Member

4 most likely, maybe 5 covering the Dance of the Dragons.
    They might do other parts of the story who knows. And of course a lot of spinoffs are in the work.

12. Young Herschel

I've read the doing 4 seasons too. Hope "Princess Nymeria and her 10, 000 ships" is up next in the queue. They have already hired an acclaimed screenwriter for it.

13. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

They just need to focus on one series at a time IMO. If they believe they can get 4-5 seasons just off the Dance of Dragons era, then they definitely could have done the whole Fire & Blood novel in chronological order as the basis for the entire series. Personally would have like to see some of Aegon the Conqueror's story play out as well as all of the shit that went down with Maegor the Cruel.

14. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano Moderator

FB_IMG_1661207619181.jpg

15. glt1980

glt1980 Well-Known Member

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  16. glt1980

The shows they currently want to develop are
    Snow
    The Sea Snake
    Nymeria and her 10000 ships
    Tales of Dunk and Egg
    The Golden Empire(animated)

17. glt1980

I think the conquest would actually work better as movie more so than a show, if you think about it not too much really happens during the conquest its really a total victory for the Targaryens, the most interesting events during the conquest are the burning of Harenhall and the Field of Fire, as Westeros for the most part just submitted pretty quickly. Seeing things Maegor could be interesting as it could paint him in a bit of a different light. He is painted as the worst Targaryen king but the thing is the Targaryen dynasty was on the verge of collapse after Aenys and he basically saved it from ending of course he did many terrible and horrendous things in his time as king starting with killing his nephew Aegon the uncrowned, but his war against the Faith would be pretty cool to see.

18. SilverSmith

House of the Dragon: Inside Episode One

A Look at the Weeks Ahead

19. Young Herschel

I think only "Snow" & "Princess Nymeria" have advanced to the screenwriting stage though. All HBO/Discovery has to do is order the pilot.

20. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

5743C1D4-74F7-4FEE-B936-B8A4B4073148.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 2
    • List