BM/WW IR sightings on TV

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Kid Rasta, Dec 21, 2005.

1. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

The Good Place
    Chidi and Eleanor are back together as that corky couple. And they have come up with solutions to save the humanity from being erased and rebooted by the judge.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

@darkcurry @The Dark King I just watched BGS IBMOR's latest video:

In the 1st half of the video he's giving his thoughts on the black male characters on the new NBC show "Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist" starring Jane Levy that premiered this week. Based on what BGS is saying I had go look up the cast info of the show because I watched a trailer for this show a month or 2 ago & don't remember seeing a straight BM character let alone a potential BM love interest for Jane Levy's character Zoey. Skylar Astin (The dude who played Anna Kendrick's main love interest in the "Pitch Perfect" movies) seemed to be the main love interest based on the trailer I saw.

Anyways according to Wikipedia, John Clarence Stewart plays the BM love interest Simon, a senior employee at SPRQ Point. He & Zoey bond over their shared experiences of tragedy, but her love for him is challenged by the fact that he is engaged.

Anyways here's the trailer NBC put out back in late November:

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. darkcurry

I seen the trailer and a few of the commercials but it didn't give anything that would make one think there is something going on with them. Or had him much in the trailer and commercials. I'll give it a watch, but I feel like I seen this concept before with Soundtrack.

I agree with some of what BGS IBMOR is saying I think there is more to it than that about white, latina, asian women with black men but he was rambling in most of it. lol.

That girl in the beginning of BGS's video. LOL! Heck of an opening.

4. ColiBreh1

LOL, looks like it's gonna be a love triangle.

5. meowkittenmeow

meowkittenmeow Well-Known Member

@darkcurry reacting to this news like:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. ColiBreh1

I finished "Soundtrack" last night. Do y'all think they can squeeze a 2nd season out this story or is it just a 1-season show? I feel like there was bunch of stuff from the past timeline that didn't show during this 1st season.

7. ryanpaulstewart

ryanpaulstewart Well-Known Member

The Good Place has the only IR love story that I can think of that is both a fundamental part of the narrative, but the IR component isn't the story. Eleanor told Chidi she loved him at the end of episode 6 and it has deepened every season since.

The early optics of the show seemed like he was being setup to get played, but the exact opposite happened. The show plays with perception and expectation.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  8. darkcurry

I'll tune in for a season 2.

9. darkcurry

Probably and arguably the most well written IR love story on TV right now.

10. ColiBreh1

The stuff they didn't show in season 1, I don't think there's a season's worth of material though.

11. ColiBreh1

I just watched the series premiere of "Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist". Jane Levy's character Zoey & John Clarence Stewart's character Simon definitely gotta will they-won't they connection. But like the Wikipedia character description says, Simon is engaged (India de Beaufort plays Simon's Fiancee, Jessica).

Skylar Astin's character, Max, is basically Zoey's effeminate male BFF. If the trailers/promos didn't promote him as the main love interest, you'd just assume he's gay. A love triangle between Zoey-Simon-Max is going to look laughable onscreen with how effeminate Max came off in this Pilot. Max is the 1 who encouraged Zoey to go finally talk to Simon, like a female (or gay male) BFF would do, even though later in the episode it's revealed Max is secretly in love with Zoey. Zoey-Simon-Jessica seems to be a more legit triangle based on what I saw in most of this pilot.

The trailers & promos for this show are misleading AF (probably on purpose) since Simon is nowhere to be found in them.

12. Young Herschel

Young Herschel Well-Known Member

So has anyone had time to process this signature show of the season from Netflix?? I'm surprised none of you have commented on this intriguing new series. It has tremendous rewatch value because it is so well written and has several black characters too. What is everyone's take on "The Witcher" I'm dying to hear?

13. darkcurry

That's what I thought with Sorry For Your Loss and they shut me up with an EXCELLENT season 2. And set up some good cliffhangers into season 3.

14. darkcurry

I think I gave mines already. I have to go back and see if I did. lol. But I liked it.

15. darkcurry

I saw it earlier and you took the words right out of my mouth. Although I'm not feeling that either. Overall the show was alright. I'm not feeling Zoey's character there was nothing that made me go "I like her" in this pilot. I did get annoyed a couple times by her. lol.

BTW India De Beaufort is BEAUTIFUL!

16. ColiBreh1

17. ColiBreh1

Netflix just dropped trailer #2 for season 2 of "Sex Education":

Welp...this trailer is even more obvious than the 1st trailer where this upcoming season headed.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  18. okay, tinfoil hat on, I think they do this INTENTIONALLY to garner an audience in the first season as a "look at us, don't ignore us we've got D-I-V-E-R-S-I-T-Y" But then once they've gotten that established mainstream audience, they shelf the black character and go with the white male they always wanted.

and remember, they could've shown where it was headed obviously in season 1 trailers. but they didn't.

it was a draw to them as a way to mislead the audience and secure their spot in the minds of the mainstream.

now that the mainstream crowd is fully on board, there's no need to keep up the charade of their ACTUALLY being a black male character that matters -- THEIR AUDIENCE ALREADY LOVES THE SHOW AND WILL BE ON BOARD REGARDLESS OF THEIR SMALL NITPICKS LIKE A CHARACTER BEING SHELVED.

they know this.

I've been seeing it with numerous shows.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. darkcurry

The good news is there are shows and movies that counters this crap. So they are dividing people's view of black men and IR involving black men. But like we said there are still folks in the industry that are still out of touch when it comes to black men and IR love involving black men and white women.

20. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

I remember DWP the flick where that gay homie let a wg touch his hair. No doubt a brother didn't get lovin from a wf.