Upcoming IR slate

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by JamalSpunky, May 11, 2019.

1. SilverSmith

SilverSmith Well-Known Member

The studio has set the Fatale release date for October 9th of next year. I reckon the trailer I'd been looking forward to is gonna have to wait.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

Chiwetel Ejiofor - Tonight At Noon

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Lee and Mae are a couple trying to work out their differences. As Mae struggles with memories of a former flame, Lee, who is a writer, works through his frustration by forming his problems into a story in his mind. And that's when everything starts shifting back and forth from reality to Lee's imagination.

https://www.filmaffinity.com/us/film233975.html

3. darkcurry

[​IMG] Charlize Theron potential IR in her upcoming Netflix film The Old Guard. - An Immortal soldier Andromache aka Andy leads a small group of immortal soldiers working as mercenaries through the ages.

Her main character 'Andy' is described in the comics of having a relationship with a former slave named Atticus.

https://aux.avclub.com/the-old-guard-is-an-action-blockbuster-with-historical-1798262512
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chiwetel Ejiofor is a part of the cast in the movie and all of the soldiers on her team are listed but his character's name is not listed, but he's the only black guy in the film. We'll see how that part of the comics we'll be done if it will. It's supposed to come out later this year.
    [​IMG]

4. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

"Tonight at Noon" was filmed over ten years ago. Every year or other year you see some update on IMDb as if its going to be released soon and it never is. I know this because it stood out as being one of the only films in production at the time in which a BM had an onscreen relationship with a WW (maybe two white women if my memory serves me well). The movie is so ancient that Ejiofor's leading lady is the chick who played the daughter on '"Six Feet Under", who was a possible rising star at the time. I have little hope for that film being released. But then again I was saying the same thing about Bolden just a year ago so maybe I'll be proven wrong.

As for Ejiofor's role in "The Old Guard", when his casting was announced months ago his character was described as being a sort of military or government attache who works alongside the immortals. Definitely no description of him as a slave and unless it was a miniseries event with a lot of time to work with I would doubt the story would go that route. I can see black twitter losing its mind over that shit. "He's BOTH a slave and fucks with a white woman? Fuck that coon." Of course Ejiofor's character may still end up having a relationship with Theron's character but we'll have to wait and see.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. SilverSmith

Here's the all-new trailer for the Amazon Prime Video anthology Modern Love.

6. darkcurry

either they didn't feature the ir love story that much in this trailer or their story is very small.

• List
  7. SilverSmith

@darkcurry, I'm choosing a more measured "wait-and-see" approach rather than over-analyzing the trailer. That said, the new poster is giving me hope! lol

[​IMG]

8. JamalSpunky

1- It's an anthology. Every love story gets its own episode. That means the Hathaway-Carr story isn't very small; it will be given the same time as the other stories.

2-They do feature an IR love story in the trailer, it just happened to be that of Dev Patel's and another involving some gay couple.

3-Its disappointing that more wasn't show of the clips of Hathaway and Carr, but the push from the studio have already provided more info, time ad promotion devoted to them than the other stories.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. JamalSpunky

Hope for what? Do you think Amazon trotted out Hathaway and Carr exclusively for a press preview promotion just so it could drop their episode entirely?

Hope for what? Do you think Amazon trotted out Hathaway and Carr exclusively for a press preview promotion this summer just so it could drop their episode entirely? Come on, folks.

10. SilverSmith

Good grief, it was a joke. You guys are far too serious about these projects.

11. darkcurry

my post was out of curiosity. I don't pre-judge which is why I was pondering which will one will it be. Hints why I used the words 'either' and 'or'.

But anyway I got my answer as it turns out they do have their own episode that I have mentioned before awhile back but completely forgot about it. lol.

So their episode is
    episode 7 for those who wanted to know.

12. darkcurry

13. glassesjacket24

glassesjacket24 New Member

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. darkcurry

Well the only differences here is that it's a TV show and they are billing this as a thriller and not a romance, love story like The Mountain Between Us was.

But in the book it's based on it does hint at a close relationship. https://www.amazon.com/Survive-First-Alex-Morel/dp/1595145109

"Jane is on a plane on her way home to Montclair, New Jersey, from a mental hospital. She is about to kill herself. Just before she can swallow a lethal dose of pills, the plane hits turbulence and everything goes black. Jane wakes up amidst piles of wreckage and charred bodies on a snowy mountaintop. There is only one other survivor: a boy named Paul, who inspires Jane to want to fight for her life for the first time.

Jane and Paul scale icy slopes and huddle together for warmth at night, forging an intense emotional bond. But the wilderness is a vast and lethal force, and only one of them will survive."

If I were them I would make it a romance because then it could be like the TV series version of The Mountain Between Us. That's what people are going to get out of it anyway since The Mountain Between Us did pretty well at the domestic and global box office for a non rom-com love story. So audiences that recognize the plot probably will be looking for a love story.

15. JamalSpunky

Love, Guaranteed

Damon Wayans, Jr.
    Rachael Leigh Cook

[​IMG]

New Netflix romantic comedy in the works.

Rachael Leigh Cook, who is fondly remembered for her role in the classic teen drama, She’s All That, is set to star alongside Damon Wayans Jr. in Love, Guaranteed, the Netflix original film which Cook is also producing. Mark Steven Johnson is directing from source material by Cook...

The story centers on an earnest, hard-working lawyer Susan (Cook) who has taken one too many pro bono cases. To save her small law firm, Susan begrudgingly takes a high-paying, high-profile case from Nick (Wayans Jr.), a charming new client who wants to sue a dating website that guarantees users will find love. But Susan and Nick soon find themselves in the middle of a media storm, and as the case heats up, so do their feelings for each other — which could jeopardize everything.

Yeah, sounds like a typical corny Netflix rom-com, but whatever. Cook is one of the producers of the movie and it makes me wonder if she had a say in Wayans' casting. If so it's another example of this type of IR being a greater likelihood when white women are more in control of the wheel.

As for Wayans he seems to be a go-to guy for onscreen IR representation involving bm/ww, ever since his days on "Happy Endings." When it comes to such IR let's call him the Common of rom-com. More on him later.

https://deadline.com/2019/10/rachae...-jr-netflix-love-guaranteed-movie-1202752137/

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. JamalSpunky

UPDATE OF THE "EDDY".

A series I discussed back on page one. Melissa George has been cast in a recurring role as the ex-wife of Andre Holland's character.

upload_2019-10-4_19-34-57.jpeg

As reported earlier in this period series that takes place in Paris, Holland's love interest is to be played by Joanna Kulig, a Polish actress. Perhaps there will be a brief love triangle with Holland being torn between these two women. Or maybe George's character will spend most of her time with her and Holland's daughter, who is being played by Amandla Stenberg.

The Eddy is a musical drama set in contemporary multicultural Paris revolving around a club, its owner (Holland), the house band, and the chaotic city that surrounds them. The eight-episode series will be shot in France and feature dialogue in French, English and Arabic for premiere exclusively to Netflix members worldwide.

George will play Alison Jenkins, a sophisticated New Yorker, comes to visit her ex-husband (Holland) and daughter (Stenberg) in Paris, with complicated results.

https://deadline.com/2019/09/the-ed...ur-damien-chazelle-netflix-series-1202713130/

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. JamalSpunky

Things To Keep A Close Eye On but As of Right Now Can't Confirm Anything:

Mentioning Wayans again as promised. He may have IR hookups in two other upcoming movies: "Long Weekend" and "Barb and Star Go To Vista Del Mar". Don't know enough specifics about his characters in either one to declare anything other than that if he is involved in IR it will only be as a supporting character, not a lead.

Rhenzy Feliz of 'Runaways" fame has been cast alongside Auli'i Cravalho in "Sorta Like a Rock Star". The breakdown goes:

A teenage girl who, despite her difficult circumstances, is preternaturally optimistic about the world and her place in it and often helps those around her faces a devastating loss and can no longer ignore the challenges in her own life.

No confirmation that Feliz plays her love interest at this moment but some sites have him as her co-lead and since they are around the same age its possible that there could be a relationship between them. If I get updated info that confirms these possibilities I will give them their separate postings.

18. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

This series premiered today on Amazon

The IR relationship with Anne Hathaway is not what it appears, Anne Hathaway's character is undiagnosed bipolar who meets the brother when she is "up" but her condition drives him away before anything even starts, by the end of the episode she gets her shit together, but the brother is not a part of it.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. Shulz021

Shulz021 Well-Known Member

From Anne Hathaway's track record when it comes to IR on screen I'm not surprised. lmao

20. darkcurry

lol. I didn't know she had a track record of IR on screen. What other movies are you thinking about?