Movies with BM/WW Couples

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Kid Rasta, Jan 13, 2006.

1. samwilson75

samwilson75 Active Member

I saw that movie back in the 1990s on HBO. I have it in my VHS tape collection somewhere.

That was movie had a supa-sad ending.

I was sad, and pissed actually.

Any movie that takes you through a set of emotions has to be a good movie.

2. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

RE: The Affair
    I've only see the cover where he is in the helmet looking as if he has no connection whatsoever with her. They use different covers for different markets and also for different products (i.e. VHS, DVD, etc). Europe (I'm willing to bet) had the more sensual/romantic cover. The helmeted one I've seen here and the one where he wearing his dress uniform is new to me.

3. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

I had heard of both and they were mentioned in the threads years back. That flick put Melvin Van Peebles on the map and he inserts IR in Sweetback,and Watermellon Man.

4. 4north1side2

4north1side2 Well-Known Member

I've been meaning to check out The Affair.

5. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

i can't watch racially charged movies like that, where they keep it real raw so you get a small taste of how fucked up we had it

I didn't see Red Tails, but I heard they had to water down the racism in it

:rolleyes:

stark difference between what you'd see now, compared to some of those older films like Rosewood that would make you want to do something violent

6. orejon4

Yeah, Rosewood's race riot scenes were REAL visceral. Red Tails racism was all bureaucratic and not as overtly violent. Ironically, black servicemen experienced less racism abroad than what was waiting for them when they returned to the States, and much of what they experienced abroad was at the hands of white US servicemen.

7. Soulthinker

Yes,O4 time and time again you read of the Black expats who lived in Europe from the First World War,Between,and the Second World War. Of course some received drama from White Southern Troops who tried to enforce their racial code on the soldiers. There was a scene in the movie "Yanks" starring Richard Gere in which the White British Girls came to dance with the Black troops after a big fight with the White troops.

8. orejon4

I don't think I've ever seen Yanks. Is it a decent film?

9. Soulthinker

The movie Yanks is about the American troops who were stationed in the UK before D-day. Check out a book called When Jim Crow Met John Bull. I will give you the author's name later.

10. romeo41

romeo41 New Member

IR Movies.

I saw the Affair on HBO years ago. I always wanted to see Mr. Van Peebles film. I believe that I will see it soon.

11. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Never heard of this one, either...

[​IMG]

By VINCENT CANBY

Directed by: Claire Denis

Average Reader Rating
    4 out of 5 rating, 14 votes

Review Summary

Set in French Colonial Africa, Chocolat is told from the viewpoint of 8-year-old Cecile Ducasse. With no other frame of reference, the innocent Ducasse accepts the subjugation of the black natives by the white colonists as the natural order of things. The girl grows gradually aware of the social iniquities about her, but only in retrospect (the film is related in flashback, narrated by the grown-up heroine) does she fully realize just how cruel and wrong-headed the entire colonial system had been. ~ Hal Erickson, Rovi

Full New York Times Review
    http://movies.nytimes.com/movie/review?res=950DE5DA123EF933A25750C0A96F948260

Movie Details

NYT Critics' Pick Best
    Title: Chocolat
    Running Time: 105 Minutes
    Genre: Drama

12. lottie

lottie New Member

I know I recognise one of the actors - Adrian Lester - on the third cover. I believe he starred in the TV version

13. Howiedoit

Howiedoit Active Member

Is it just me or have you notice that at the end of these kind of movies that the black man ends up . . . DEAD.

Just saying.

14. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Lol

Why are ir movies always focusing on bmww anyway

Shit crazy

15. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Plus...
    This link right here has about 120 IR movies starring BW an WM as love interests..the list is long, lol...

http://jeffandcorey.com/ELIG.html

!

16. qnet

qnet New Member

I sort of feel that way also but, I liked Red Tails. I saw that movie "The Affair" and it is sad. I don't want to watch it again.

I use to go watch all the older Spike Lee and John Singleton movies but, I don't want to watch those kinds of movies anymore. I go to a movie to enjoy myself and escape and, I don't want to leave the theater pissed-off or upset.

17. fantasyfangrl

fantasyfangrl New Member

I could not agree more! Although I hate feeling some of the emotions at the time of the movie, those are the types I remember the most. :D

18. Nick Nitro

Nick Nitro New Member

19. blackbull1970

blackbull1970 Well-Known Member

The Pelican Brief

This flick starred Denzel and Julia before they exploded as big A-List stars.

The film is a adaption of the book written by John Grisham.

The book has a subplot of their characters having a romance. It was omitted when it went to film. If the flick was made today, I bet they would not omit it from the story.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

From what I understood, he said he refuses to or refused to do love scenes with WW in movies because it sent the wrong message to BW, or something like that...It's why he declined the role with Michelle Pfeiffer in this movie...and Dennis Haysbert took the role instead.

[​IMG] (1992)

Last edited: May 29, 2012