IR in Music Videos thread

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Nellie, Apr 21, 2006.

1. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

2. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

Yeah, I understand that but a lot of the times when it comes to music videos the artist have the power and say so.

3. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

She always seemed Egyptian or something to me...some Middle East extraction...what do I know

4. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

Start that thread. I look forward of those videos.

5. ColiBreh1

This is the thread. That post you quoted was the OP of the "IR in music videos thread" thread I originally created earlier this month. It looks like my thread was merged with an older similar thread.

6. chamber

chamber Active Member

She is from Kosovo and her parents are Albanian. Some of those South Eastern European Balkan states have people that look a bit racially ambiguous. Ora has said people often think she is black.

7. ColiBreh1

As something to note, there's a reason a lot of white supremacists don't consider easten europeans & southern europeans white. They're often more racially ambiguous. The chicks in that Migos' "T-Shirt" music video I posted in this thread are a good example.

8. medullaslashin

medullaslashin Well-Known Member

Not sure if it's been done before, but howsabout a thread of music that explores the IR theme?

Here's an interesting hip hop vid I stumbled across recently. I kinda like the sound because I like hip hop that borrows from jazz... and the lyrics get into the IR stuff...

Some of the youtube comments say the song is "coonin'" -- maybe because of the "fried chicken" theme? o_O Well, at least it's interesting, unlike the "mumble rap" stuff about gangbanging and all the other unoriginal "gangster" shit the kiddies seem to be hooked on these days. Plus the dude doesn't have a tattoo on his face, so that's a plus...

Any others?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  9. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

There was a music video by jazz vocalists The Manhattan Transfer that featured one of the female vocalists embracing a muscular black man wearing an open shirt. The singer is Cheryl Bentyne. I don't remember the song but I do remember that video.

10. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Interesting video. Peppy tune. My only gripe is that Charlie Curtis-Beard didn't have to defend his choice, even in song. He should've just rolled with it. Just saying.

11. Reverie

Reverie Well-Known Member

Madonna made a controversy in her Like a Prayer video with a black Jesus figure.

12. flaminghetero

flaminghetero Well-Known Member

The garbage that passes for music never ceases to amaze.

Dear Lord.

13. ColiBreh1

14. medullaslashin

medullaslashin Well-Known Member

I actually kinda intended the thread to be about music that has overt commentary about interracial relationships (rather than just featuring couples interacting interracially), but I don't mind the thread merger.

On that note, I bring you "Suzy Wong"... Not sure what it means, but it's overt commentary on an interracial relationship... Any others?

15. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Suzy Wong is a character in the novel The World of Suzy Wong. It became a stage play with France Nguyen and William Shatner in 1958. In 1960, it became a movie with Nancy Kwan and William Holden. Suzy Wong was the archetypal "woman with a heart of gold." Suzy was a prostitute in Hong Kong. She has a relationship with a British man working in the foreign service. It was even made into a ballet.

Lou Rawls sang a song called Groovy People and mentions Suzy Wong.

16. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

That was true. But the controversy was not only because she kisses a black man who is a Christ figure, it was to say that Jesus was described as a black man and Madonna giving him praise and love. Fundamentalist Christian groups had a fit.

17. ColiBreh1

18. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

I wasn't feeling it. It reminded me of 2 Live Crews' Pop That Coochie video. The uncensored version was like this. It all seems typical in rap music videos.

19. ColiBreh1

Found a Behind the Scenes featuretre for this music video:

20. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

Demi Lovato - Tell Me You Love Me (Teaser)

She'll be releasing the full video today.

I features Jesse Williams as her love interest.