Game of Thrones & GOT Spinoffs

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Max Mosley, May 26, 2011.

1. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

God if little aria got raped, the show would have been completely destroyed

2. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

yup shit didn't the Stormborn girl go through the same thing with Kaldrago in the first season but I guess it didn't count since he was so good looking?
    Same exact thing, sold against her will to further someone else's agenda and raped on her wedding night. Only difference is that he wasn't a little sadistic weasel about it.

3. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

The Sansa rape scene freaks people out (deservedly so) because we live in a society that is still hardwired to feel overprotective of women. We however are also hardwired to be indifferent to the suffering of men.

It's why a offscreen sexual assault of Sansa causes more uproar than the onscreen sexual mutilation of Theon (Yes violently cutting off someones reproductive organs is sexual assault)

4. The Dark King

Very good point I forgot about that too.
    I hate this Ramsey kid way more than Geoffrey. His death will be most enjoyable

5. Cherok33

Cherok33 Well-Known Member

Yikes I should not be reading this since I just finished season 4 :/

6. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

:freehug:

7. Cherok33

Cherok33 Well-Known Member

Hi honey <3

8. Tamstrong

Tamstrong Administrator Staff Member

A lot of people (even though it's wrong) have little or no sympathy when horrible things happen to those they deem as horrible people. Some also see it as bad people getting payback for the terrible things they've done.

I wouldn't call society overprotective of women, but I do agree that there is a lot of indifference when it comes to men being victims of rape and abuse (I also agree that sexual mutilation is sexual assault). There's also a huge lack of awareness when it comes to male victims.

As for the show, folks have come to know the characters and like/love/dislike/hate them accordingly. Of course they're going to sympathize more with their favored characters and have a stronger reaction when things happen to them. Right or wrong, that's human nature.

9. Tamstrong

[​IMG]

10. Tamstrong

11. The Dark King

What Danerys she was well liked but no one really seemed to care about her rape. Was it because of who was doing the raping?

12. Satchmo

Satchmo New Member

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

13. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

As harsh as the scene was, I don't think it was gratuitous. It was committed by the most monstrous character on the show. Anything less would have been lame. Brutality is a key ingredient in the show, in my opinion. It's the threat that is always in the background of every interaction. I didn't read the books, but I do know that directors have to merge actions and characters to move things along in a movie/series in a way that authors don't. I'm thinking of Peter Jackson's many liberties with The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings.

14. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

And that's the interesting thing about the whole scene however: They didn't actually show Ramsey raping Sansa. Everything was based on knowing what a totally depraved shit Ramsey is, Sansa's painful groans and Reek/Theon's expression as he watched. The actual horror was knowing what was taking place.

15. orejon4

You're right. If I have to hear one more radio round table about how horrible it was, or Claire McCaskill's "righteous" indignation, I'm going to hurl. She can support the use of drones day and night, but one implied scene on a fictional television show offends her fine sensibilities.

16. EuroChick

EuroChick New Member

It's "valar morghulis" and "valar dohaeris," not "valar get raped" :rolleyes:

17. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

18. orejon4

Damn! You beat me to it. Lol. I was dying to post a 'Winter is coming' meme. Hahaha

19. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

20. glt1980

glt1980 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [YOUTUBE]CW9bJCyjMnE[/YOUTUBE]