Beyonce and Colorism

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Thump, Feb 7, 2018.

1. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

Bullshit. If anything, a young Thandie Newton would have been perfect to play Storm

Lupita looks nothing like Ororo Munroe and no "fanboys" would endorse such fuckery so keep it moving :D

2. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Call it what you want. She's not cute to me.

3. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  4. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Thandie Newton? Have you ever read an X Men comic or watched the cartoons?

5. RicardoCooper

Naw a Younger Thandie couldn't have been Storm, what was I thinking. Eyeroll. Stick to Bitcoin

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. RicardoCooper

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. andreboba

Every X-Men artist who ever drew for the comic put their own spin on Storm, and lately more recent artists have drawn her lighter than originally intended.

Marvel artist Dave Cockrum is the the one who created the original Storm character and she wasn't no redbone.
    [​IMG]

John Byrne, probably the X-Men's most popular artist, always drew her as a dark skinned Black woman, albeit with Euro features.[​IMG] Black woman,
    [​IMG]

Thandie Newton and Halle Berry were really too light to play Storm, just like she was too light to play Nina Simone in her biopic.

8. AlmostThere

AlmostThere Active Member

Maybe it is stemming from the never-ending requirement that BM have to find at least 1 BW pretty or else, and the darker the better. It is a requirement that no other group of Women seem to need.

9. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Lol. This shit just don't stop. Neither Kim K or Lupita do anything for some of us. No need for theory or psychoanalysis. They are not that special lmao.

10. RicardoCooper

Those guys just drew her. The colorist colored her. And the old school flat color method back then didn't really allow variations in skin tone especially for black characters.

And it was Zoe Saldana who played Nina Simone which I didn't agree with at all

Carry on

11. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

Neither did her family. They had to use make-up to darken her skin. Funny how they didn't use skin color makeup with actors who played Obama in movies and Chadwick Boseman who played Thurgood Marshall or Will Smith who played dark skinned people in Concussion and the Pursuit Of Happiness.

Anyway I waited to see the movie Nina to judge and the best thing to happen to Zoe through all that criticism was that the movie was terrible! Her family dodged a bullet NOT endorsing or co-signing that movie.

12. The Dark King

You gotta wonder why she took the role. Are these people that money hungry? She's already rich did she really have to take that role.

13. andreboba

This is the problem that happens when you don't have enough diversity of people working for major studios involved in casting.
    India Arie should have been screen tested for the Nina Simone biopic, given an acting coach for 6 months then primary shooting should have begun.

Some people are born to play certain roles and that was totally India.

14. The Dark King

FACTS

15. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

You would think with some of these music artist crossing over and wanting to do acting and are already trained in performance arts that when biopics about singers are made a actual singer would be main objective. Jamie Foxx and Andre 3000 are the only musician/actors I have seen play other musicians on screen.

16. RicardoCooper

Agree 1000%

17. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

Movie studios are all about maximizing profit and hedging their bets. They will always err on the side of casting a bankable "name" over a person who looks the part.

Honestly, in some cases, I'd rather see a good actor take the role over a person who resembles the real-life person. I kind of think one of the flaws with All Eyes On Me was the choice to go with look-alike casting instead of finding a strong actor.

18. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

Just thought of another darkskin chick who is bad AF (& is obviously better looking than Lupita), Instagram model Bernice Burgos.

19. The Dark King

The Puerto Rican girl with long wavy hair who could pass the paper bag test? Is Beyonce dark skin to you too?

20. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

I just did a Google search, I see your point. In some pics Bernice Burgos looks darker, in other pics she looks lighter.