NFL QB National Anthem Protest

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Thump, Aug 27, 2016.

1. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Dying to see this. It's gonna be a nerdfest lol

2. meowkittenmeow

meowkittenmeow Well-Known Member

Never used the word sausage fest. I personally like talking to other like minded brothas, as oppose to you, bliss who just wants to argue. I hadn't been on here for a long while a couple years. You stayed,and are arguing just as much as back then, using as much deflection and disrespect as always. I realize that you need the attention which is why you argue. It's fine, I'm over it. You lost what little remaining respect I had for you when you used rape to try and win an argument. Even K called you out on that. Have a good one. I'll just focus on the positivity in this thread (because literally everyone here is positive, but you).

3. meowkittenmeow

I know!!! Going to ask my father if he wants to come see it with me.

4. K

K Well-Known Member

How do you put someone on ignore?

5. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

The trailer looked pretty cool.

6. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

Bliss, where did you get this??
    And why did you believe it to be true??

Personally I have this internal radar that clicks on whenever someone tries to rewrite the history of slavery in America to show that Whites suffered almost equally under the same oppression.

The far right wing is wholly invested in presenting an alternative narrative about slavery in America.

The first part is to sell to folks that African slavery in America wasn't that harsh or dehumanizing.

The second part is to convince people that White people suffered just as brutally under American slavery, and yet they NEVER complain about their historical struggle.

From HS, I've always been taught about the history of indentured servants in the early colonies.

But this narrative about Irish slavery is just revisionist history and a poor attempt to white-wash the institution of slavery in this country.

IMO you need to take a more cynical view about right wing sources who suddenly have discovered the 'real' history of America and slavery in particular.

This sounds like Alex Jones level propaganda.

7. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

It came from this book
    I didn't know about the Irish slave trade - this is not something we were taught in school in Australia and it's not something that I was ever exposed to here. So I only learned about it when the guy posted the thread on here. I don't know either way except for what's written.

What's unsettling to me though, is the lack of sympathy from anti-oppression et al activists who refuse to even acknowledge it. If it did indeed happen, the first people l would expect sympathy from are those oppressed. Whoa. Are my eyes opening.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  8. andreboba

It happened, to a degree.
    Nonetheless, I think it's in error to relabel indentured servitude as White slavery. because it diminishes both.

THe reason the burden of African American slavery still exists to this day is because of race: Blacks simply could not blend and disappear into the dominant White society the way many European immigrants could.

Out Blackness was apparent from 100 feet away.

There is no legacy and never has been of Whites who generations past suffered under 'white slavery'.

You should read this NYT book review on said book;
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/27/books/review/Lau-t.html?_r=0

There's nothing wrong IMO on the surface of this book, but there are political movements in this country who have perverted this historical study in order to marginalize the experience of slavery by Africans in AMerica.

9. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Yes l know the War wasn't just about abolishing Slavery..it was economics as well. But freeing the Southern Slaves WAS a huge factor. And there were many white abolitionists as well as a free North. My point was you said everyone (White) wanted slavery to continue and it's wasn't true.

10. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with your argument here as you know I'm a History Enthusiast and things like this are extremely interesting to me. I don't agree as well that it should be called White slavery either it should just be slavery. Indentured or not, they still were a slave until their debt was paid and many people never were able to become free, because from what I understand reading around is that Masters would tack on more and more onto the debt and thus they went to the Grave never paying off and basically a Slave.

Slavery is ancient and each historical event of it has its unique sufferings. The African Slave trade was in particular abhorrent because of the imense suffering. No one should or could ever downplay or dismiss what they endured. I think therin lies the schism..if indeed it's agenda/ politically driven to marginalize African Slavery then it's utterly disgusting. I will reserve my judgement until I look more into it. I don't want to dismiss them so quickly f they were indeed suffering slaves.

11. andreboba

Honestly, I was surprised from just a superficificial search how well reviewed 'White Cargo' was by mainly liberal literary critics.

To a person it's considered a scholarly work and emphasizes that indentured servitude was highly oppressive, if not exactly on the same level as chattel slavery.

Back in college at my university a professor was forced to resign for calling the Black students in his lecture, the 'descendants of slaves.'

I didn't care either way if he kept his job or not.:smt102

Now when I look back, I realize the institution of slavery was never local to just the USA.

Slavery is GLOBAL and still exists to this day.

I'm sure that Greeks don't see slavery as a permanent stain on an individual and rather more a part of the human condition, man's inhumanity to man.

Like crime and murder.

12. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

*sigh* kitten.Yes yes, because I'm the only one that argues on this forum..lol :smt083. Blind bat.
    I'm allowed to defend my position. Its a DISCUSSION board..people disagree. Stop being such a baby.

Honestly, I could give two fucks what "you and K" do because you are still desperately throwing mud trying to make it stick on your feigned rape outrage at me. Way to keep bringing it up. Smh.
    Run along now..seems l wasn't on ignore afterall. Don't speak to me again.

13. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

I'm kind of shocked at this post..It moved me.

I think looking at slavery from a humanistic perspective at, ironically, the inhumanity of it, allows us to empathize with any, if not all, that were forced to live lives against their will. None more prevalent and evident than African and African American Slaves... which by way allows open compassion for others who suffered in their own hell, regardless of their skin color.

14. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

Denver Broncos' Brandon Marshall takes a knee in protest during the national anthem.

[​IMG]

15. meowkittenmeow

That book is filled with inaccurate data. I made a post about it a page or two ago. FYI

16. meowkittenmeow

Good for him

17. meowkittenmeow

Go to user cp. On the left column you will see ignore list. Just add the name to the ignore list.

18. meowkittenmeow

I think Affleck is making a huge comeback and I am excited to see the film. Planning on seeing it?

19. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p09WfNmxznU
    [YOUTUBE]p09WfNmxznU[/YOUTUBE]
    I didn't not know this rumor has gotten so big, they're talking about it on Fox News.

Just in case y'all didn't know who Kapernick's Girlfriend is that they were talking about in that TYT video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WTLZKRwUxE
    [YOUTUBE]7WTLZKRwUxE[/YOUTUBE]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaVm-f8674Y
    [YOUTUBE]OaVm-f8674Y[/YOUTUBE]

Nessa is fine AF. I didn't know she was Muslim though.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  20. 4north1side2

4north1side2 Well-Known Member

Bout time y'all hit her with the

[​IMG]

BTW meow, Sampson, tdk you all dropped powerful factual posts earlier. Props.