The Nerdz Lounge.

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Ra, Dec 12, 2010.

1. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

Superman and Captain America both had the same issue that Ultron touched on though. They want to protect the world, but they didn't want it to change... How is humanity saved if it's not allowed to…evolve?

2. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

If you notice the vast majority of Superman's heroics involve saving small groups of people from immediate danger, and fighting supervillains. Most versions of Superman don't get involved in national politics and they don't intervene in military conflicts unless one side was committing war crimes. (WW2 comic don't count because they were made as propaganda) Captain America is the same way, the man is 100 years old, so you know there are things about the modern world he doesn't approve of, but he never pushes his politics or belief system on anyone, he just wants to fight injustice and to protect the weak.

3. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

An interesting thought, but I disagree with Ultron. Both heroes desperately want the world to change, for the better. They believe that humanity's evolution is best when it's upward and not self-destructive.

Besides, Ultron is a sociopath. His idea of improving the world is to murder lots of it's innocent residents. Maybe not the best source of quotable wisdom lol.

4. SilverSmith

SilverSmith Well-Known Member

Following this week's 10 character posters, Lionsgate has rolled out the new John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum trailer, with Keanu Reeves playing the titular character.

5. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

That is so ridiculously over the top. I can't wait!

6. darkcurry

Superman and Captain America in real life would get ate up emotionally by how this world is. They shield a lot of these things from them which is why they don't get involve because it is protocol to always ignore the top elite in their stories and basically go after small time earth criminals and the only time they go after the big ones are the Aliens looking to invade the planet.

7. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

Well there are myriad reasons that the comics focus on the stories that they do. But the fact that a certain "level" of criminal is typical to their stories doesn't mean that they couldn't handle others. The CA: Winter Soldier movie addressed this to some extent. But CA and Superman are the best to their cores. The fact that they are who they are means they absolutely wouldn't "get are up emotionally about how this world is," at least not to an insurmountable degree.

Bottom line: if you can find decent writers, those higher-level enemies are no problem.

HOWEVER, an interesting "real world" superhero movie could be about a CA/Superman type who purposely avoids larger problems because he's too conflicted/fragile/oblivious/afraid/whatever to actually handle them. But that character wouldn't be close Superman or Captain America.

8. darkcurry

I'm thinking of Brightburn. That would be probably a more realistic story of a being from another planet growing up on earth.

9. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

I think we all tend to find the doomsday scenario more likely lol. But I completely agree to the extent that it's tough to imagine anyone having as strong and sterling a moral fiber as Cap or Superman. Then again, it's also way more likely that someone trying to be Batman would end up more like Rainn Wilson's character in Super.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  10. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

I think this means that the actual apocalypse is coming.

Holy shit, Supernatural is ending

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  11. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

Say WHAT??? I actually stopped watching shortly after they first defeated the actual devil many seasons ago. I seriously thought that was meant to be there series end, but they went on another decade or so lol.

12. SilverSmith

Below is a new Shazam movie clip in which Billy Batson tries to explain to Darla how he was turned into a superhero.

[​IMG]

13. SilverSmith

A new Hellboy featurette which includes the cast and the character’s creator, Mike Mignola, discussing the reboot.

14. darkcurry

15. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Worst kind of heroes Batman included they all fight to keep the oppressive status quo that only benefits the few

16. meowkittenmeow

meowkittenmeow Well-Known Member

17. meowkittenmeow

meowkittenmeow Well-Known Member

LOL, to be fair, I remember this happened once

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Is that Bruce Wayne or Marcus Garvey? Lol

19. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

I'm saying wouldn't that be how most people talk about him? As a kid it sounds cool "good guy" beating up "bad guys" then as an adult you realize that asshole is just another rich white guy taking out his frustrations on the poor. Get therapy.

20. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

For sociopaths economic standing is irrelevant, like that dude that was kicking that 78 year old lady in the head on the Bronx train. I would have released him of all his debts.