Star Wars

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Thump, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Frederick

Frederick Well-Known Member

Nope, you're not alone bruh.

There have been people calling this stuff out since the release of TFA.

https://www.indiewire.com/2015/12/h...ce-awakens-while-the-black-man-sleeps-162287/

https://therivardreport.com/comment...sm-and-other-problems-with-the-force-awakens/

https://hannibaltabu.tumblr.com/post/135433506509/why-i-hated-star-wars-the-force-awakens

Hopefully, Kathleen Kennedy will get called out for her bullshit properly in the media after she finally gets the boot from Lucasfilm.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  2. Frederick

Here's a much better written analysis of this phenomenon that actually comes from one of the anti-SJW Star Wars fan sites, but the writer totally nails Kathleen Kennedy, JJ Abrams and Rian Johnson's liberal racism.

https://disneystarwarsisdumb.wordpress.com/2018/03/12/lucasfilms-failed-diversity-fashion-show/

Lucasfilm’s Failed Diversity Fashion Show

In fact, we can demonstrate that the purported “more broad representation” in the Sequel Trilogy is very old stuff indeed, by comparing two characters of color; Lando Calrissian and Finn.

Lando Calrissian, a character that we were introduced to way back in 1980, was the “administrator” of the mining operations on Cloud City at Bespin. Translated into Earth terms, he was essentially the mayor of a small town and the CEO of a mining operation. He then rescued Han Solo from the clutches of the galaxy’s most ruthless gangster, Jabba the Hutt. He then went on to lead the Rebel Fleet as a General, and led the assault on the Death Star 2.0 at which he made the winning shot that blew up the space station and destroyed the Empire for good (at least until that was retconned in Episode VII).

Finn, who we met in 2015, was a janitor for the First Order. The character serves as a comedic foil in the narrative. He piloted a ship in The Last Jedi in an assault against walkers, but Rose sabotaged his efforts before he could have his tragic hero moment.

Keeping these two descriptions in mind, which one more clearly resembles a token character? Lando Calrissian served a vital essential function in the narrative, and played a role of prominent importance. Finn does not. In fact given Finn’s primarily comedic sidekick role, the character is somewhat of a throwback to the 1940s and 1950s, when “black actors had to play dumb for roles as nannies and servants,” often for comedic value at the expense of the dignity of the character and actor.

So the Sequel Trilogy and the Finn character in particular actually represents a regression to very old offensive racial stereotypes that have been outdated for a very long time, but are now unwittingly rebooted because some folks have “let the past die.”

3. shaft2k4

shaft2k4 Active Member

There was better BM representation in the old George A. Romero zombie movies than this current "woke" bullshit being pushed today. And those Romero movies started in the late 60's.

4. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

The first reviews for The Rise Of Skywalker are coming in and they seem really mixed, critics are either enamored or really disappointed. This isn't a good sign because critics mostly liked The Last Jedi (It's the fans that hated it) but if even critics aren't jazzed about it, I can only imagine what fans will say when they see it this Friday.

Even if it turns out terrible at least we have the Mandalorian which is a really solid show the last two episodes, in particular, have been great.

5. ryanpaulstewart

ryanpaulstewart Well-Known Member

Reviews being mixed this early is bad. Went on a Star Wars message board and the fans have seen the leaks already and are divided prior to going to see it.

6. SilverSmith

SilverSmith Well-Known Member

If you weren't aware, the penultimate episode of the first season of The Mandolarian is now available for streaming so that it doesn't conflict with the release of The Rise of Skywalker.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. meowkittenmeow

meowkittenmeow Well-Known Member

It’s so damn bad. I really hope this film flops. This way they can fire Katie, and find someone who wants to hire a qualified staff.

8. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

And write a good story. Appeal to the fan base that got you where you are instead of making wack shit to appeal to a mythical fan base that never shows up

9. meowkittenmeow

That mythical fan base exists. The problem is they only show up for shitty movies based on shitty fan fiction (read 50 shades or twilight).

10. The Dark King

By mythical I mean they aren't being captured by these lame attempts. I honestly don't get what's wrong with serving both groups

11. meowkittenmeow

She thought she could build a feminist utopia without actually hiring qualified people. I suppose she thought the “goddess” would make everything work. Nepotism hires are shitty, but at least find some with some actual credentials.

12. SilverSmith

SilverSmith Well-Known Member

Prepare for your hopes to be dashed.
    The Rise of Skywalker is tracking for a worldwide opening weekend of $450M, with $200M projected from North America alone.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
  13. meowkittenmeow

[​IMG]

14. ryanpaulstewart

That's all brand. The success of this film will be its legs after the initial opening week. It'l probably track somewhere slightly less than Last Jedi--given the reviews, but Star Wars by Disney is losing luster in Hollywood quick. They need to ditch Kennedy and get an organized, creative person with vision to ... "map out" what the fuck this dreck is supposed to be. I don't love Marvel, but their shit is intricately planned and much of their success can be found in that.

15. Frederick

The media gaslighted people hard about how good The Last Jedi was. They're not even trying to prop this piece of shit up.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_wars_the_last_jedi

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_wars_the_rise_of_skywalker

There were opening night tickets available right up until the premiere. I don't think that it'll do a billion.

16. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

I was convinced that Disney was going to hand over Lucasfilm to Marvel's Kevin Feige, but since he has been put in charge of the entire Marvel family (Movies, TV, and print) he is way too busy. So now I think they are going to hand the reins to either Jon Favreau or longtime Star Wars writer-producer Dave Filoni.

However, I don't think they are going to fire Kathleen Kennedy. As I've said before she is one of the most powerful women in Hollywood if Disney fired her and replaced her with a man they would have a PR nightmare, especially since most of the movies under her watch have made money. I predict she will stay in a figurehead role while others make creative and personnel decisions.

The theater by my house still has 4 or 5 showings with seats available according to Fandango.com, the same theater was sold out for a week when Avengers Endgame came out.

17. Frederick

The Force Awakens and Rogue One were successful, but The Last Jedi was only moderately so when you consider the insane budget and the promotional costs. Solo lost money. Also, the revenues from merchandise sales have been steadily declining and Galaxy's Edge is a failure.

It won't be a "firing," but she's going to get moved out after the Rise of Skywalker fallout. She's been on thin ice since Solo tanked. The reason that her contract got renewed was because Disney was in the middle of the Fox acquisition, and they didn't want their stock price to tank.

There'll be some PR excuse like she's moving to a different position/company or going to spend more time with her family, but there's no way in hell that she retains creative control over future Lucasfilm projects.

18. The Dark King

She is clearly not good at her job and I don't get why we have to coddle her. After reading her bio she is without a doubt the greatest executive history of her lifetime the woman is behind every single movie I've loved between childhood to young adulthood. Which makes me wonder who is pressuring her to make this garbage. Hard to believe the woman behind Back to The Future and Jurassic Park is making this nonsense.
    Well she had her shot time to hand over the reigns and try something else.

19. meowkittenmeow

Some... many executives, regardless of gender, get to put their names on things. They may have had little to no input or any decisions to make outside of signing paperwork. This may be her story, and may be why she isn’t doing well in the hot seat. There are plenty of men and women who wind up in similar situations, but they are not Disney or lucasarts. And that is what makes this seem so damn big and terrible.

TLDR... Some people end up getting surrounded by immensely talented people, gain their trust, work for them, and in turn get forever associated with the work. This makes you think they can do the job on their, and sometimes it’s true. And then sometimes... the last Jedi happens.

20. ryanpaulstewart

Producers aren’t necessarily creatives. They’re essential to procuring and solving practical problems and communicating with executives/funders - getting and keeping actors. There’s little they don’t do, but they are seldom creative talent. Her job is to get talent and support their vision of which she’s done a terrible job. JJ is a well-intentioned hack. Johnson didn’t understand what the responsibilities were for a middle chapter in a trilogy. She hired and fired the original talent of both Rogue One and Solo. Only white people are allowed to fail up this high.