Random Conversation 2.0

Discussion in 'Conversations Between White Women and Black Men' started by Bookworm616, Oct 7, 2011.

1. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

I'm in Canada and Atlanta for two weeks in June but otherwise free. It would be dope if we can meet up. First round on me

2. Stizzy

Stizzy Well-Known Member

I'll be 35 miles south of Atlanta next month. You're too late fam. Lmfao

3. The Dark King

Lol if you're out there again let me know. I'm visiting some hs friends and we love to lift. You'd fit right in kid.

4. Cherok33

Cherok33 Well-Known Member

ATL wouldn't be a bad spot either...

5. Since1980

Since1980 Well-Known Member

Did somebody say Atlanta? Now y'all are talking about my neck of the woods lol.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  6. z

z Well-Known Member

LORD give me the strength to accept the things I can not change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

7. Tamstrong

Tamstrong Administrator Staff Member

Question for coconut oil users:

Is it one of those 'flavorless' oils or does it have a strong flavor?

I've been wanting to try it out, but I don't care for the taste of coconut and wanted to know before I spent my money.

8. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

It's been a long time since I used that....a filipina coworker of mine hipped me to it a few years back

I can't remember what exactly I used it for tho...that's the damnedest thing

9. Tamstrong

I've got some new recipes that call for it that I've been wanting to try, but I won't bother if it's too coconutty. Coconut itself tends to overpower/ruin everything for me, and I wondered if the oil would do that too. I also hate the texture of coconut...it's like trying to eat paper soaked in suntan oil. lol

10. The Dark King

Depends what you're using it with. In smoothies I taste nothing but with other things I taste it a little. Nothing too strong though

11. Tamstrong

Thanks, DK. I appreciate the feedback. One of the recipes is pretty spicy, so it sounds like it might work since it's not too strong. I guess if I try the others and don't like the taste, I can always give the food to my parents.

12. lippy

lippy Well-Known Member

In most recipes the spices overpower the coconut oil...I use coconut milk for soups now instead of regular milk and once I season the coconut flavor is gone...

You are using solid coconut oil? If you decide you don't like it for cooking...you would love it in your hair and on your skin...you can even use it to cleanse your face

13. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

What about palm oil?

14. Tamstrong

Thanks, Lippy, I appreciate the info. It sounds worth a try if i don't have to taste it.

I've heard a lot of good things about all the different uses, but not being a coconut fan made me leery. I'm sure it has its signature smell, but is the scent very strong?

I'm sure I've used all kinds of products it's in since it's commonly used, but I've never bought or used the oil itself. I have heard some horror stories about damages caused by the palm oil industry though.

15. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

Going point. Didn't take that into consideration. I've never cooked with it, but my friends from Nigeria use it as their go-to oil for cooking.

16. K

K Well-Known Member

I use coconut oil all the time for all sorts of things. You can get it in most grocery stores now without any scent/taste to it. Typically food grade coconut oil has no scent. Coconut oil solidifies and then will melt at about 70 degrees. It's really good for skin, hair, etc too. Good quality coconut oil has a really good feel to it, absorbs well, and doesn't stain.

I actually won't eat processed coconut on anything (can't stand it) even though I use coconut oil all the time.

17. FG

FG Well-Known Member

Never EVER use palm oil. Ever. Google it, its basically slaughter of orangutans and other species as they burn the palm forrests down to gather the oil. Its also responsible for large scale deforrestation. I never buy any thing that contains palm oil

18. CAkicker

CAkicker Well-Known Member

Today is International Women's Day. Happy International Women's Day to all the women.:)

19. Unique4ever

Unique4ever Well-Known Member

Thank you Kickster :D

20. Tamstrong

Thanks, KinCA, much appreciated. As someone who can't stand to eat processed coconut either, I'm glad to hear that.

I appreciate everyone's feedback, and I'll definitely give coconut oil a try.

I thought I'd seen another convo somewhat recently about it, but I couldn't find it. As out of it as I've been, it may not have even been on here that I saw it. lol

I remember a photo of a bloody & mangled orangutan that was killed during the process that never left my mind. It's also mind blowing just how many everyday products contain it. It's the most widely used vegetable oil there is. There is, according to WWF, certified sustainable palm oil that is produced & harvested in a environmentally & socially responsible way.