The Nerdz Lounge.

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Ra, Dec 12, 2010.

1. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

I'm skipping until I finish streaming the season.

2. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

I agree with most of what he is saying, but not all of it.
    I've always said that fans are a part of the creative process. Anyone who creates a piece of fiction and sells it to the public has entered into a defacto covenant with their consumers. So when Marvel, Star Wars, or Game of Thrones tease people, string them along, or outright lie to them, fans do have a right to voice their displeasure. The people who made Wandavision are the same people who made every other Marvel project, so it's disingenuous for the writer of this article to imply that fans are out of line for expecting this show to follow the Marvel formula. Marvel has a long history of teasing upcoming plots and shoehorning characters into movies or shows to titillate fans. For example,
    • The Captain America prototype shield in Iron Mans workshop in Iron Man 1
    • Hawkeyes first cameo MCU appearance in Thor
    • Spider-Mans first appearance in the MCU was out of left-field and only done for fans service.
    • The "green guy" and "magic hammer" references in The Netflix shows.
    • The earthquake under the ocean reference in Endgame was confirmed to be a nod to Namor.
    • Roady's looking back at the chrome Iron-Man suit in IM1 and saying "next time" was a tease for War Machine
    • Captain America being able to budge Thor's hammer in Age of Ultron was a tease for the big moment in Endgame.

These are just a few examples.

So when they cast Evan Peters as fake Quicksilver, and when Paul Bettany and Elizabeth Olsen joked about the big "Luke Skywalker" moment, what were fans going to think?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
  3. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Zack Snyder's Justice League Love Triangle Proves He Doesn't Get DC's Trinity

[​IMG]

Zack Snyder's vision for Justice League has been quite divisive, and not just for fans who wondered if his bleak, violent vision was the way to go, but for Warner Bros. It's why executives were keen to have Joss Whedon add humor and that Marvel spin to the film when the Snyders stepped away, but with the #SnyderCut coming to HBO Max soon, audiences are getting more insight into the behind-the-scenes battles that took place creatively. However, Snyder's revelation that a love triangle between Batman, Superman and Lois Lane would take place in the sequels shows he doesn't get DC's Trinity at all.

After Superman's death, Bruce Wayne would have gotten Lois Lane pregnant. Bruce then realized Superman was needed again, and he'd help revive him to fight Darkseid. Eventually, the Bat sacrificed himself and Superman raised the child as his own. Later sequels then had Lois showing her grown-up son the Bat-cave, admitting the truth of his lineage and giving rise to a new Dark Knight.

This is problematic for several reasons. Firstly, Lois and Bruce had shown no prior romantic interest in each other. Also, it'd be odd for Lois to find solace in someone who had a hand in Kal-El's death. Had Bruce not acted out of rage, maybe they could have fought Doomsday differently and Superman could still be alive. It doesn't make sense for her anguish to lead her to Bruce, or for him to cope with his own grief by wooing her.

Furthermore, stoking the drama through their love child simply retreads areas of Superman Returns. Lois hiding the truth from Bruce about being the father of her baby feels extremely similar to when Brandon Routh's turn in the cape had Lois hiding that her son was Superman's kid. This kind of drama just feels out of place in a movie where Earth's at war with Apokolips. In addition, the fact that Snyder has Bruce and Wonder Woman flirting in both Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice and Justice League, yet doesn't follow up on that relationship shows that he doesn't understand what makes these heroes tick. In actuality, Bruce's resolve goes beyond the grave, so it doesn't make sense for him to pursue a romance with Lois after ruining her life or to just move on from his established flirtation with Diana.

[​IMG]

Loyalty is a powerful thread between the Trinity, after all, so apart from Bruce moving in on Lois, it doesn't sit right that he and Diana didn't form a deeper bond. They've had multiple sentimental discussions on loss, duty and if they could move on and have happy lives in time. Thus, a romance between Bruce and Diana feels more organic.

Discarding Diana as a potential love interest who may sincerely care for Bruce also feels like Snyder didn't know what to do with her character. Instead, this new love triangle feels forced in terms of emotion, drama and shock value, and rather than cementing the heroes as pillars of virtue, it feels more like a lusty soap opera than an epic space drama.

4. Skaddix

Skaddix Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Every DC Related Project that WB and HBO is working on with an eye to come out in 2021 or 2022.
    I am looking forward to Static, and I have always wanted a good Static and Blue Beetle Teamup.
    As I mentioned in my long breakdown of DC diversity, I think they have the best chance on the Teen Front to push Marvel.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

From what I’m hearing, they wanted to have a much bigger payoff, but COVID messed everything up and they had to cut things and finish it the best way they could. When, I heard that, a lot of the gripes I had with the finale made sense.

The thing that kept bugging me was this:
    What I still don’t understand is how was Vision’s body property of the
    U.S. Government? He was made from Stark Industries materials and intellectual property. And, he died in Wakanda. A nation that is notoriously heavy handed about letting foreigners in. No way Wakanda let’s them take his body. Especially, given that he was in their care when he died.

Did I miss where they explained it?

6. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

They didn't touch on it. We're talking about a five year time span where the entire world was traumatized & dealing with half of it's population just dusting out of existence, so I'm sure there will be things we eventually find out about the state of the world & how they handle things after the snap eventually to expand on the little bit we got in Endgame.

People need to start watching these MCU projects as live action comic book stories rather than conventional movies IMO because that's how they are & have been playing everything. We aren't going to get all the answers in one single go around.

7. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

The surviving heroes from the battle in Wakanda probably took Visions body with them back to Avengers HQ. Since The Vision was technically Stark technology and Stark Industries is/was an American arms manufacturer, the U.S. government (and by default SWORD) probably claimed it as American property. The surviving Avengers were probably in no mental shape to be thinking about the final resting place of Vision when the Universe was falling apart.

8. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be surprised if the why & how of Vision's remains ending up in SWORD's possession is something that gets mentioned in the Armor Wars series. Could also possibly be where we next see the White Vision unless the plan is to use him to be the motivation for a different phase centric story arc altogether.

9. SilverSmith

SilverSmith Well-Known Member

Batman: The Court of Owls Coming to the DC Animated Universe

The world of Batman: The Animated Series continues to live on via new comic books. DC Comics has announced a follow-up to 2020's digital-first series Batman: The Adventures Continue, and it's bringing another major piece of comic lore into the BTAS universe.

Batman: The Adventures Continue Season II reunites the entire creative team from the first volume - writers Alan Burnett and Paul Dini, artist Ty Templeton and colorist Monica Kubina. Whereas the first series set about adding former Robin Jason Todd into BTAS continuity, the sequel focuses on a more recent addition to Batman's rogues' gallery, the Court of Owls.

Here's DC's official description for the series:

Gotham City is changing. After Mayor Hill is killed by a mysterious assailant, Batman finds himself tracking down an ancient order that’s long been buried under the streets of Gotham: The Court of Owls. But what does this group have to gain from the death of Mayor Hill…and how can Deadman help the Dark Knight? Will the clues lead Batman to an ancient Gotham City legend?

[​IMG]

https://bit.ly/3vjD1nq

10. samson1701

[​IMG]

11. samson1701

12. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

13. jerome kent

jerome kent New Member

14. jerome kent

jerome kent New Member

Yeah! That's right! Give me some 80's love!! This picture is my childhood in a nutshell!

15. SilverSmith

HBO Max has dropped a new trailer for Zack Snyder's 4-hour director's cut of Justice League, which will be available to stream on March 18th.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
  16. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

4 HOURS?

Well I guess while everyone will be watching March Madness I'll watch this. lol.

Gonna need our OWN halftime! lol.

17. SilverSmith

Here's the final trailer for The Falcon and The Winter Soldier, which debuts on Friday, March 19th.

18. samson1701

D60E1F5C-7F3E-44C6-A18C-3B407C336D25.jpeg

19. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

20. Young Herschel

Young Herschel Well-Known Member

I identified all these shows which I lobed in my youth but failed on one name of the characters . . . the antagonist from "Thundercats"