Random Conversation 2.0

Discussion in 'Conversations Between White Women and Black Men' started by Bookworm616, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

I'd love to know where it's safe at.

"All told, more than 2.7 million Californians live in very high fire hazard severity zones, from trailers off quiet dirt roads in the forest to mansions in the state’s largest cities, according to the analysis, which is based on 2010 block-level census data. The California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection says its maps show places where wildfires are likely to be extreme due to factors including vegetation and topography."

https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/fires/article227589484.html

2. Madeleine

Madeleine Well-Known Member

I’ve been in one too. Not the type that buries you under tons of rubble obviously.

3. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

I don't think most of them are deadly, but I understand stuff like stress and strain on materials that buildings are made of so I'm not overly concerned.

4. Madeleine

Madeleine Well-Known Member

The earthquake I was in was in New Zealand. I don’t live in an earthquake area so I’m not bothered with earthquakes at all normally.

5. meowkittenmeow

meowkittenmeow Well-Known Member

I think It’s on The Great Courses

6. meowkittenmeow

Optimistically, T would stand for Tennessee, considering that is location on the profile.

7. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

The ones I see on that site are "My favorite universe," and "inexplicable universe."

Master Class has the one on "scientific thinking."

8. meowkittenmeow

Oh, I’ve been meaning to check out master class. How is it?

9. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

I haven't tried it yet. It caught my attention only because they had Neil in the advertisement. So far the only other class that interest me is the one they have on poker strategy with Phil Ivey.

Interestingly enough, they have instructors for a wide range of subjects, even comedy. How do you teach that?

10. meowkittenmeow

Simple. Everyone has a method of entertaining people. They analyze and break down their method.

11. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

I think I know less about the entertainment industry than anyone here. lol

12. Tamstrong

Tamstrong Administrator Staff Member

I was in an earthquake when I was on a California trip with daddy when I was 13, and I slept through the whole thing. lol

13. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

If you ever been in a "fun house" at a fair, where the walls and floors are moving, Imagine being magically beamed there in an instant while you are drunk. Exactly what it feels like.

14. Tamstrong

Crazy ass Texas weather.

Yesterday morning (4 am until noon):

Slightly overcast and warm enough morning for the AC

Noon to 4 pm:

A couple of hours of extreme lightning and thunder with no rain

The rain finally kicked in off and on, alternating between light and heavy bursts.

Severe thunderstorm with extremely heavy downpour and power surges

Tornado sighted nearby, fortunately no damage or injuries reported

Things calmed down for an hour or so

Thunderstorm with heavy rain started again

Flash flooding like crazy

About 10 to 15 minutes of smallish hail

It was calm again for a bit after that, but it wasn't long before the lightning and thunder were flashing and booming again with a few bursts of rain. I was soaked when I finally made it home from work around 4ish.

The rest of the day:

More thunderstorms with heavy rain and flash flooding and more power surges

The temperature dropped, so I had to turn on the heat.

The lightning and thunder finally stopped, but it still rained off and on for a while.

And finally, the day ended with snow.

Rain and snow (yuck) are in the forecast today. I'm so thankful I don't have to get out in it. I prefer the cold to the heat, but I'm not a fan of the crap that sometimes comes with colder temps.

15. Tamstrong

I have days like that sometimes anyway. lol

I was surprised I'd slept through it, especially since I was in the sleeper cab of my daddy's semi when it happened.

16. Tamstrong

I am now officially trained on how to pack a gunshot wound and apply a tourniquet in the event of a workplace shooting. I just pray I never have to put that training to use.

17. Rochiebabes86

Rochiebabes86 Well-Known Member

You are a stronger being than I. Congratulations and thx for being an awesome friend.

Hope everybody here had a satisfying MLK day, I wanted to observe the man by listening to him so I looked up his speech titled “The Other America” delivered at Stanford U. Wow. I need a nights sleep to put my feelings into words. I’m sure many here have seen it, here’s the line that jarred me the most:

God bless thanks for allowing me to try and be an ally

18. meowkittenmeow

That’s wild, I remember the first time I learned that. It was. The Army. A shame that civilians are forced to learn that now.

19. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

So was the training just specifically focused on handling gunshot wounds or was it overall field first aid ( field dressings, pressure wound dressings, splinting, applying field sutures/stitches)?

20. Tamstrong

I don't know about being strong, but I thought it was a good idea to sign up for the training, especially these days. You're welcome. ;)

My MLK Day was spent at work, but it was still a good day. He was such a powerful and inspirational speaker.

It's a shame indeed. Scary and insane too.

It was specifically about dealing with gunshot wounds.