BM/WW IR sightings on TV

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Kid Rasta, Dec 21, 2005.

1. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

I mean to be fair its hard enough to find an example of a black guy just in a straight-on IR in TV and film. To come across a love triangle involving two black dudes and a non -black woman is some unicorn shit.

"Sorry for Your Loss" almost counts although part of the triangle is the memory of one character.

2. JamalSpunky

As much as I diss her Shonda may be the lone exception, although even in her case the rug of such a relationship may get pulled eventually. Also she doesn't do the day-to-day running of her shows anymore. She hires people for that.

3. JamalSpunky

Hmmm. What was the history with Gloria V?

4. JamalSpunky

And this is why I never gave the show the time of day.

As I saw the casting of the show and became more aware of who the main characters were going to be and who were hooking up with whom, I noticed that white chicks were pretty much non-existent. On a show. That Takes Place. In Beverly Hills. Nah.

Secondly as I wrote on this site before the show aired, the obvious premise that should have been explored as a Fish-Out-of-Water scenario with the lead character would be him hooking up with a white female student at the BH school he would be attending. That would be the ultimate cultural shock for him and in retrospect (based on all I've learned about the series thanks to you guys) that would have presented a father-like-son scenario for him, something that have caused an interesting dynamic. Some people may disagree thinking that would be too stereotypical and predictable but its viewed in that way largely because its a common occurrence. Also Hollywood tends to ignore such pairings which means it becomes the opposite of stereotypical or obvious if the show had gone there. Ask yourself is a relationship "stereotypical" by its very definition if films and TV rarely portray it?

Instead we get a white football star dating a black chick. Good luck finding such a pairing on social media pics of kids in high school. And the white footballer-black girlfriend/wife is a rare phenom among white guys who play the sport in college and the pros. Again, not saying it doesn't happen; it just doesn't happen all that much relative speaking.

Shouldn't be surprised that there are black chicks more interested in this relationship. If a movie or TV series stars a black male you have black women clamoring for them to have black love interests because they claim how importance it is to show Black Love. But provide an alternative coupling involving a white male and a black female in that same show or film, and those black chicks will demonstrate just how unimportant Black Love actual is. Black Love is only useful if it keeps the black male characters tied down to black female characters, ESPECIALLY if that black male character is the lead of the production and his relationship with a woman is the only relationship of the story.

5. JamalSpunky

Godfather of Harlem's main two showrunners is a white male and black male. The IR presentations involving black men and white women don't happen if a black chick ks running things. I'm certain that for many AA viewers it was a shock that the passionate young story involved a black male and a white female. Typically when doing shows, especially period dramas, TPTB tend to go with a WM and BW if they are going to go down that IR road.

6. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Maybe in earlier episodes of Grey's Anatomy (my girl and I are currently watching it from the beginning) but the only black guy getting any real love is the half black guy with blue eyes. And oddly his white wife ends with up with a white guy while he has two unsuccessful relationships with black women. Americans especially bw and wm simply can't write these stories for bm and ww. It's always some clunky stereotype fest.

7. The Dark King

The black women who complain or "support" black love do it only because their options aren't as vast as other women. That's why when the depiction is a bw with a wm not a single critique or objection because if they were honest they'd admit deep down they want to be with non black men more so than black men. And the only time they prefer black men are the most alpha of the alphas. Deep down they want a John or a Jose to have kids with giving their children (mainly daughters because they shame boys) a chance to escape blackness. That's why they uplift and support couples like Meagan Merkel and Prince Harry (even though she herself claims to be mixed race not black) over a Beyonce(their queen) and Jay-Z (a fricking billionaire)
    Serena Williams and dude from Reddit.
    This is low key wish fulfilment for them. Like I've said before I have never once in my life seen black women show as much support for black on black couples the way they do black women with white men.
    That's why I can never trust that an American black woman show an honest loving portrayal of a black man in any relationship unless ironically with another man usually white by the way.

8. Reverie

Reverie Well-Known Member

@The Dark King

It is true.

The support Meghan Markle got is insane. Especially when Meghan pulls out her black mum only when it suits her needs.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  9. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

LOL, I'm surprised @JamalSpunky didn't also tie the lack of younger white female characters on "All-American" to the fact that the showrunner is a BW.

Anyways, the black chick that the show is currently pushing a 'ship with the white dude Asher is biracial IRL & on the show. Her character is the daughter of Coach Billy Baker/Taye Diggs & Laura Baker, Olivia Baker.

Anyways once again it's hypocritical & weird AF that chicks who are rooting for Asher & Olivia the hardest are probably the same type of chicks who whine all the time that "BM only like lightskin/biracial/mixed/exotictical BW" or "Entertainment & fashion industries only cast & push lightskin/biracial/mixed/exotictical BW". They can't seem to be consistent at all. They normally hate lightskin/biracial/mixed/exotictical BW, but here they are rooting for 1 to be in a IR with a white dude just like they did with Meghan Markle. They probably didn't support or care about Olivia Baker dating the star QB of South Crenshaw H.S. in the 1st season.

10. ColiBreh1

Yeah, that average person doesn't know anything about the Vanderbilts. @Soulthinker you can't just drop that random tidbit about Gloria Vanderbilt without giving us some backstory of what you're talking about.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  11. Reverie

Reverie Well-Known Member

I just knew Gloria was a lover of black men too. <3

12. The Dark King

True story

13. The Dark King

We know what it is pure wish fulfilment. They want to be biracial mixed exotic bw. They want to garner the attention of white men. They see no real value in their African roots they want to escape it and live the way they think all white women live

14. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

Same thing with The Flash. That is one of the reasons why I never understood biracial men and women ESPECIALLY those with white mothers could not be offended by the anti bm/ww rhetoric and I even seen some participate in it. smh.

15. The Dark King

Wait what's the same thing with the Flash

16. darkcurry

Iris West being one of those lightskin women they normally don't root for.

17. ColiBreh1

I think he's talking about certain group of online females, while usually hate biracial BW, rooting for Iris & Barry despite the fact that chick who plays Iris, Candice Patton, is either biracial/mixed or can pass for biracial/mixed.

18. The Dark King

You know what's funny is I never saw her light skin more of a brown skin girl who gets her hair straightened. But either way I agree. Not even into comics but want to run it.

19. ColiBreh1

I googled "Candice Patton parents". Multiple sites have her listed as biracial/mixed/multiracial, with a black mother & white father.

I've seen nothing but conflicting info on her over the years.

20. darkcurry

The season finale of Godfather Of Harlem aired last night and...

The cute and tragic love story of Stella and Teddy came to a heartbreaking ending.
    Snapshot 5 (12-2-2019 6-33 AM).png Snapshot 6 (12-2-2019 6-35 AM).png Snapshot 4 (12-2-2019 6-32 AM).png

Against Chin's orders the murderous goofball Ernie and Chin's friend went and killed Teddy right in front of Stella and played it off like he was there to warn them. Stella wasn't buying it called him a murderer and told him to get the fuck away from them.
    Snapshot 3 (12-2-2019 6-31 AM).png

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List