Movies with BM/WW Couples

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Kid Rasta, Jan 13, 2006.

1. SilverSmith

SilverSmith Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

David Oyelowo and Rosamund Pike attend the "A United Kingdom" World Premiere at The Paris Theatre on February 6, 2017 in New York City.

2. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

My mistake, but there were movies that i can't think of right now that were nominated for Oscars that had an international release before a U.S. one. Besides
    a lot of the critics we're calling this movie an oscar contender last year.

3. Elklodge

Elklodge Well-Known Member

I get what people are saying, but I still want to see this film.

4. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

Hope to see the screening of that flick next week.

5. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

New trailer just dropped:

6. ColiBreh1

David Oyelowo did an interview with "Sway in the Morning" yesterday:

7. ColiBreh1

@darkcurry Do you see the info on the director's next film?:

https://twitter.com/shadowandact/status/829718449781927937
    [​IMG]
    http://shadowandact.com/2017/02/09/...-amma-asantes-wwii-romance-where-hands-touch/

[​IMG] I saw a brotha on another forum mention why it would make more sense to do on a bmww couple:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. Soulthinker

I like to know if that biracial German woman was sterilized? Hitler ordered that done back in 1937. Hope to see A United Kingdom next Wednesday.

9. Soulthinker

I saw the nominated Oscar Shorts for Live Action. One of the shorts "Silent Nights" made in Denmark has a IR story.

10. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

The Coen Brothers are doing a remake of Scarface. Patented after the Brian De Palma film.

11. darkcurry

Good find bro.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

But reading the description of the film it seems to be another one of those failed IR relationships
    between a black man and a white woman, but it does sound interesting >>> https://cinemascandinavia.com/shortlisted-danish-short-in-the-race-for-the-oscars/

12. ColiBreh1

What does that have to do with IR in movies?

13. darkcurry

Well Amma is married to a white guy (just making note.) so she probably made it identifying with the bw/ww couples back then. This will be 3rd Interracial film she has made, so I give
    it to her for to have most of her films be IR. It is a shame that Her movies aren't getting much recognition by mainstream being though they are critically acclaimed and
    highly rated on Rotten Tomatoes. A United Kingdom received an 85% rating. But we all know that if it isn't a tumultuous IR relationship between a black man and a white woman then MSM aren't going to care about it.

14. darkcurry

I seen it. Beautifully told. Rare gem told about a IR romance staying strong through the controversy back then. It only opened in limited theatres by judging by the people who went to go see it It is at least a hit with audiences.

"As for limited release titles, Amma Asnate’s “An United Kingdom”, which opened on just 4 screens in N.Y. and L.A., had the 2nd highest per screen average of any film in theaters this weekend, with $17,000 per screen."

http://shadowandact.com/2017/02/12/...ong-hidden-figures-best-picture-oscar-winner/

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  15. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Nothing. But they were going to do a remake of Guess who's Coming To Dinner. I guess they changed their minds and decided on Scarface.

In the film Blood Simple, there was a black male character who slept around with white women but it was not shown. It was an independent film.

16. Soulthinker

DC,you always on the job. I will not tell the ending. Like you said just wished the outcome was positive.

17. Soulthinker

I remember this Danish film Festen(The Celebration) and it had a IR couple a brother whose Danish girlfriend belongs to this disfunctional family.

18. darkcurry

David Oyelowo seems to be woke and is catching on to Hollywood's racism of bm/ww IR romances in film.

An excerpt from an Interview he did with rogerebert.com

It’s great to see “A United Kingdom” come out mere months after “Loving,” another fact-based drama about how the love of an interracial couple had a transformative impact on their society.

David: I’m glad that during the 50th anniversary of “Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner,” we have these two films out right now. Both of them are about people who don’t see each other as black or white. They just fell in love, and there is very real opposition to that love. Of course, there are nuanced and very overt differences between the films, in terms of the locations and the time in which they took place, as well as who these people were. In “A United Kingdom,” you have someone who is on his way to being a king and he marries a commoner, which is already unusual in light of Great Britain and its relationship to class. Ruth marrying this black man is still seen as she’s marrying beneath herself, even though she’s marrying a king. Then you get to see in Seretse’s culture that he is marrying beneath himself not only because she’s a commoner, but because of what white people have tended to subject Africans to throughout history. That is a really interesting juxtaposition that we don’t often get to see. We don’t see black people resisting the marriage of a black man to a white person in the overt ways that we see here.

I’m married to a white woman myself, and I’ve seen how there’s very real resistance to these sorts of films getting made. It’s tough to make a film about a black man and a white woman who are married without it being in a historical context. There’s still resistance to it, even though it happens all over this country every day. This prejudice is unfortunately still with us and hopefully films like this will help in breaking that down. Film is such a powerful medium in how it shapes our culture. I wouldn’t necessarily say that it shapes people’s thinking, but it points people in certain directions and helps them resist certain prejudices.

http://www.rogerebert.com/interviews/eroding-the-excuses-david-oyelowo-on-a-united-kingdom

19. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

The film 5 Flights Up featured Morgan Freeman and Diane Keaton as an interracial couple. I guess David Oyelowo didn't see that film yet.

The fact is that a film featuring an interracial couple (black male,white female) in Hollywood is financially risky. Unless it is a true story(often that story and characters can be altered to fit the film), the story has to be relevant as well as intelligent and heartfelt. And that is the most difficult task. Audience reception is another issue.

The major studios are very wary of audience reception and they stress acceding to the demands of the audience.

The audience provides the revenue.

20. darkcurry

Not really, audiences has taken well when IR romances has been done between a black man and a white woman. Save the last dance, Luke Cage and Jessica Jones, Despite bad reviews the movie FOCUS with Will Smith and Margot Robbie exceeded it's $50 Million budget and made over $159 Million at the box office, A United Kingdom as I reported didn't open on many screens last week but did VERY well "2nd highest per screen average of any film in theaters this weekend, with $17,000 per screen". Racist trolls make it be otherwise but it doesn't work. You can't believe what Hollywood gives you on this, they have been trying to blame it on audiences for years. May have been in years past, but audiences have been ready, it's just now about it being a good movie. Get Out will probably be added to that list.