Heads up on Ukraine

Discussion in 'The International Perspective' started by karris, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

2. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

Things change within years or months. Don't forget Bush said he saw Putin's eyes and saw his soul.

3. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Putin never disrespected Bush by testing or defying him. Now, Putin does as Putin wants.

4. Soulthinker

Putin just took parts of Georgia and no peep from the GOP.

5. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Who's our President again?

6. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

7. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

An ongoing conflict that continued well into 2009. Keep in mind, Georgia with U.S backing, invaded South Ossetia, so how is it only "Russia" invaded Georgia?

Like I said, last I checked, the GOP was not the President.

8. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Per below there were many motivations and provocations going on, my point was that there are so many articles and noise coming from the right saying that the President is showing weakness, when in reality he is taking calm measured action on the issue, and not just saber rattling or war mongering, the way McCain and Palin would like to see.

"Both sides have deeper motives for fighting. The Russians have an interest in preventing Georgia from joining NATO, as Georgia, a Western-oriented democracy—George Bush called the country a "beacon of liberty"—has long wanted to do. In this, the Russians will almost certainly succeed. There is no Western power that has any interest in a military ally that is involved in a major military conflict with Russia.

The Georgian leadership, by contrast, had come to believe that the constant pressure of Russian aggression, coupled with the West's failure to accept Georgia into NATO, compelled them to demonstrate "self-reliance." Georgian President Mikhail Saakashvili has been buying weapons in preparation for this moment. Those who know him say he believed a military conflict was inevitable but could be won if conducted cleverly. As of Friday night, with Russian soldiers fighting in South Ossetia—only a few dozen miles from Tblisi, the Georgian capital—it seems as if he might have miscalculated, badly. Russia has not sent 150 tanks across that border in order to lose."

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/foreigners/2008/08/world_inaction.html

9. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

So you don't think Putin is disrespecting Obama?

When Obama promised Putin political leniency for the future Russia once he was re-elected (see video)...he expected OBAMA TO MAKE GOOD ON THAT. After Syria and the red line being moved over and over, I think he doesn't care one bit what Obama thinks because not much comes of Obama's threats.

Furthermore, Obama mocked Romney's warning on Russia's political and military might, so I'm guessing that ignorance got back to Putin.

10. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Obama's actions on Syria, diffused a VERY bad situation, he stood up to Asaad and Putin and the chemical weapons are being dismantled. As far as Putin, he signaled his true intentions back in '05 when he said the following, per politifact.

"The breakup of the Soviet Union was the greatest geopolitical tragedy of the 20th century."
    Putin did say those words, or at least words close to that, in a 2005 address to Russian political leaders.
    Those words are evidence Putin wants to expand Russia’s influence to where it was in the Soviet days.
    The record there is not as clear. We found some experts who agree with that interpretation, while others say that quote that does not quite mean what he says it does.
    We rate it Mostly True.

It does not matter who is president, Putin is putting his plan in action and hopefully he will not bring us to the brink of another world war. IMO those who think threatening him or using strong arm tactics would bring him to heel are kidding themselves. Hitting him where it hurts, economic sanctions and political isolation on the world stage, are the only hopes of him seeing sense.

11. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with your last line. Though I don't think Putin can be told what to do unless there is severe sanctions, and even then so.

Also, your SLATE link said, "...While the world watches", yet for two days, GEORGIA bombed Ossetia while the U.S and Euro media remained silent. From what I've read, Russia was protecting South Ossetia, while Georgia wanted to invade and forcefully take it. Thus, I prefer additional research other than rely on heavily leftist SLATE.

As for the S.U break up, it was the very reason Georgia took advantage and invaded S.Ossetia, since both broke from the Soviet Union at the same time (despite S.Ossetia wanting to remained independent). Most S. Ossetians didn't want any part of Georgia and pledged allegiance to Russia. Because I don't/can't know the full effects of the break-up, I have no opinion on what Putin feels has been the effect of a fractured S.U. They witnessed the Clinton/US NATO led bombing on the defeated Balkans and couldn't help them much, so who knows what grudges stand to this day, since the Ukraine is U.S. backed.

But despite it all and once again, while the world watches, innocent citizens are killed at the expense of political territory. The players change, the victims never do.

12. newjazz

newjazz Member

Wow!...Loki you must be one of those black conservatives! I bet you like Clarence Thomas too!......or you believe everything "massa" tells you!
    I shake my head whenever I see brothers that refuse to see what really happening!.....

13. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Some cognitive dissonance going on here, I am actually supporting the President with my comments so not sure what you are talking about. If you care to do any reading of my previous posts you would see that I vet many sources before forming opinions. Perhaps you should increase your reading comprehension before casting aspersions.

14. newjazz

newjazz Member

Exactly!.......that's what I am talking about! You have a right to believe what you want and I am trying to be careful not start a conflict! However, I do firmly believe that one way we all have as people on this planet to make it better is to speak up about what we feel is unjust or in this case inaccurate. The US shouldnt have absolutely anything to do with the politics in any other other nation! Point blank!....any meddling, funding to overthrow, bribing etc. is WRONG! I do feel this basic common logic especially for someone who seems as intelligent as you appear to be.......

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  15. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Ok, so it seems that you are advocating for an isolationist foreign policy. Interesting viewpoint, the history of isolationism in the United States reaches as far back as the first President. In his farewell address, George Washington advised as follows:
    The great rule of conduct for us in regard to foreign nations is in extending our commercial relations, to have with them as little political connection as possible. So far as we have already formed engagements, let them be fulfilled with perfect good faith. Here let us stop. Europe has a set of primary interests which to us have none; or a very remote relation. Hence she must be engaged in frequent controversies, the causes of which are essentially foreign to our concerns. Hence, therefore, it must be unwise in us to implicate ourselves by artificial ties in the ordinary vicissitudes of her politics, or the ordinary combinations and collisions of her friendships or enmities.
    —Washington, George."Washington's Farewell Address 1796." Yale Law School Avalon Project, 2008. Web. 12 Sept 2013.
    Isolationist sentiment kept the U.S. out of both World Wars until it found itself under threat. Problems of the Old World were not relevant to the New World in the eyes of many citizens.

There are some valid arguments imo, supporting isolationism, that being said, the world is a much smaller place now, and it is much more difficult to turn a blind eye to atrocities committed across the globe, especially when help is requested.

16. newjazz

newjazz Member

Hey, what my beef is with black so called intellectuals is that they mistakenly believe that they are a part of the system that's why they fear being truely critical of it! They agree something is clearly wrong but they don't necessarily dislike it! I recently heard that as black people we still own Less than 1/2 of one percent of this nations wealth which was exactly where we were at the civil war.. collectively if you live somewhere that you do not own or control then that make us collectively as black people GUEsts! .....Most of us work for someone else and not business owners.
    Hey, views might seem pretty extreme by most people in this country but, that may be also an indication of how far gone they are!....this country even before it's liberation from England had my ancestors in bondage and were active in extermination of the indigenous people......sad part is we are still very much in bondage and extermination never stopped! Today it's called Globalism! It's never been anything but a highly organize bunch of international white supremacist criminals and maybe will never be anything else! But today right now! people both white and non white in this world that care about the survival of the planet and a afire distribution of the earths resources must actively start replacing this system of mistreatment of mostly non white otherwise will we never have true peace and harmony!

The truth is America (and imperial Europe)has been at war with the world most of its short history!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  17. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

What about the African Union - do you think they care about the plight of Black people in general? They seem to only care about further depositing riches into their bank accounts.

And what of Asian leaders? Do you think they care about BP, WP or even Asian people? (think N. Korea, China, India). That White supremacy mentality extends far beyond White. It's a struggle of classism, not so much just race anymore.

18. newjazz

newjazz Member

Listen, the whole world is a slave ship!i remember One of my professors in college called it nuclear blackmail! Scratch the surface if you dare! White supremacy is the exact cause of what problems the world face today! Just do elementary historical research in India's liberation from the British or the Chinese boxer revolt or Mao. You can deny it! It's your choice!
    According to traditional African philosophical thought there will always be crooks, criminals, murders and thieves but by no means would these types be in control of anything other than his jail cell!!!

19. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Money is the root of all evil. It has become a universal obsession. It suggests power for anyone that has more of it than others. It can change a multitude of outcomes. It can be used for good and evil. People, regardless of race, religion, locality and etc. need it and want it. But those who have more of it must work harder to maintain their wealth and keep it. Money has become another god, unfortunately.

20. Soulthinker

If the Repubicans think Obama was weak why the GOP Congress didn't declare war on Syria? Talk is always cheap when it comes to discussion of foreign wars since some don't have skin in the game. NeoCons for example think war is a video game.