Weekly Workout Progress

Discussion in 'Health, Fitness and Fashion' started by babybro, Apr 23, 2011.

1. jayarmy

jayarmy New Member

LOL... You get used to it believe it or not. I even slept in mine sometimes with weapon in hand or right under my cot when I had QRF (quick reactionary force) duties. After a while it just felt like a t-shirt to me.

2. jayarmy

jayarmy New Member

I think you will enjoy Level 1 combatives GFunk. I liked it a lot except for some exercises. Some of them like that spiderman really got to me but you dont have to worry about that just yet in level 1.

Learn this as best as you can man because believe me.... you will be an incredible fighting machine when you know what you are doing and why.

Trust me.... IT WORKS WELL!!! A lot of guys are ground fighters and most people are used to fighting while standing. The ground fighter gets you in his environment and kicks you ass badly!!! Been there done that and learned my lesson the hard way.

Good luck!!! Take it seriously, not as a tedious unwanted task you must perform!!! It will pay off in combat on the street or on the battle field!!!

[YOUTUBE]9rfJerp-4ws[/YOUTUBE]

3. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

i can vouch for that

i have about an 80inch reach with my arms, but that gets completely nullified when driven down to the ground by shorter guys. Once you're on the ground, like you said you are in there world, unless you learn. The good news is that ground fighting is easy to pick up, as some stuff you'll learn based on instinct. Like when a guy is going for a rear choke, and you put up an arm to counter the arm he's using to swing underneath your chin. That's just something you won't even think of doing..it'll just become a natural reflex when you see an arm coming around you. As a white belt/newb, you're first training goal is to just survive. Once you can go several minutes against someone more experienced, without getting submitted, that's a win. It's very discouraging for a blue or purple to not be able to tap out a new guy.

even better is if you can keep a more experienced guy on his back. My favorite top position for control so far, is an over-under lock from side control. basically, you slide one arm under the armpit and another arm over his opposite shoulder. It's a good position for a new guy, as you can either go for a few different submissions, or you can just hold it to survive.

4. jayarmy

jayarmy New Member

:smt023

5. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

i added some more to that...had a few flashbacks...

lol

6. FG

FG Well-Known Member

Looks like grappling I just started:)

7. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

My wrist hurts.

Most of the people were bigger than me and got my ass kicked. I could squeeze out of a hold because I'm quick but once they wore me down, it was game over.

8. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

It's not really repetitive yet. Except for the recovery kick thing where you have one elbow to guard and the other one to balance on.

9. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

lol

you got the newguy jitters

with bjj, you're supposed to rely on technique first, and strength/speed/other athletic traits last. I used to get winded because I would end up just wrestling guys and using strength and speed to get out of positions and holds. In the end, I would end up with my body flat on the ground (a no-no), defenseless and tired. That usually led to easy submissions. As I started rolling more, I would get tips from coaches such as holding a position and breathing. If you forget to breathe or work too much when you should not, you'll gas. Always remember to move when your opponent moves. Until then, you can hold on as long as you want.

Until they start throwing strikes....then that's where you get more into combatives or mma-type jiu jitsu.

if you're really serious tho, you'll start doing more muscle-endurance exercises like plate/kettlebell circuits, so you can have more stamina. Straight cardio such as running is good, but it doesn't really all the muscles you need for grappling.

10. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Swimming and bike riding are good for endurance too. Use to do it for Judo.

11. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

anything that works your total body is a must

when you're constantly pushing, pulling and holding guys, your muscles fatigue before your 5 minutes are up

that's why the general rule of thumb is to roll a lot..when you can't roll, then you look for alternatives

building yourself up and knowing when to tap into it, is just as important as knowing the difference between a gable and a catclaw

speaking of catclaws...remember not to grab the inside of a pantleg/shirt sleeve with a grip...you always hear horror stories about broken fingers and the such..

and when possible do a palm to palm gable without interlocking your thumbs, when going for a control

12. FG

FG Well-Known Member

After almost 6 month of low work-out level due to my shoulder and elbow injury, I started up my regular schedule on a conditioning regimen.
    I do work-outs MMA type training 1-2 times a week (prowler, ropes, kettelbell, tracotr tires, firehoses etc). 1-2 times a week with regular free weights and 2 times a week w spinning. My work outs are no joke, all is on time pretty much w rotation.

My metabolism has gone completely haywire, reactive hypogycemia (which I have had a tendency for all of my life). I eat 6 times per day not a joke and I still struggle to keep up w my metabolism. I CRASH as a mufukka w absolutely no warning and its quite uncomfortable and hard to keep up w workouts.

I do take a protein isolates after my work out and have added pre-work out powder too. I eat clean and cook all my food except for Flame Broiler which is my fast food take out at least one time per week. I eat about 2500 calories per day in a well balanced way.

Something needs to change because I cant keep up w my metabolism. Anyone here w reactionary hypoglycemia that have found "tricks"?

I want to add Grappling to my work-out but I need to find a way to keep up first.

13. The Dark King

2500? Wow thats double what most girls eat and you're so thin. Amazing.
    I just bought 30 MMA classes for 100 bucks on groupon but I am going to wait till I get up to running 5 miles a day and doing at least 100 push ups non stop. That shit is too physically demanding to fuck around

14. FG

FG Well-Known Member

My breakfast alone is 500 calories, if I dont do that - I am worthless for the rest of the day. Im worried I start burning muscles if I dont fix this. For the last few weeks, my weight is steady but I loose body fat but by experience, I will soon get into a place where I will drop weight like a mother and is NOT what I want (i.e., burning muscles).

I have stayed around checking out the grappling (I took Jiu Jitsu when I was younger) and boy is that a work out!!!! But if I cant fix this problem, I wont last in the grappling. The pre-work out powder has helped but according to studies, people w reactive hypoglycemia cant sustain in pre work out carbs but need protein so as the pre-work out powder is purely carbs, it may not be enough. I am experimenting w that.

100 bucks for 30 sessions is a steal! Im jelaous!! Let us know how that goes.

15. The Dark King

I took Judo for two semesters in college and I know from that experience you have to be in good physical condition to do a grappling sport. My Oyama karate classes use to run about 2 hours each and it was nothing compared to one hour of judo. You use all your muscles all the time. Great work out though. It'll get you right.

My plan with the jiu jitsu is once a week for 30 weeks. That along with some crossfit and other workouts should get me where I want to be.

If you want to talk to someone about your particular weight gaining problem I have a friend who specializes in that. She has the same exact issue. Its incredibly hard for her to gain weight.

16. FG

FG Well-Known Member

Yes, its demanding... but as I flip the huge tractor tires and 100 yards of the big fire hoses, I think I am up for the challenge - if I can fuel enough. The grappling class I am looking at is 2 h but they clock for 5 minutes and rotate so you sit out once in a while.

What about your friend? Does she work out hard and work w supplements etc? If so, I would love to:)

17. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

lol

working out on your own before you begin training always helps

although most people will say that there training is for both athletes and the common man :smt120

for mma tho, i would definitely throw in some endurance grappling exercises

u see lots of people doing kettlebells, club bells and stuff like that for it

personally i use individual weight plates that you put on barbells, after watching some D1 wrestling conditioning @ arizona state

grappling endurance is a beast of its own..definitely gotta get that lactic conditioning going

18. The Dark King

Yeah. Its been 10 years since I did judo and I remember being sore all the time then so I can only imagine the shit I'm in store for now.

Gotta say I love groupon in this area. I got 10 crossfit classes for 50 bucks back in March. Just working on conditioning before I use it

19. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

if you're doing it for recreation and different gyms, id see where that benefit was

but if you were really trying to stick with an academy/school, i dont know how that would play out

i know around here, these guys have the 30/90 days free shit going on, but after that you gotta pay full price. So either you stay with them and rank up@180-200/month, or you hop over to another place and ask them about their 'new students' program

:smt103

but yeah if you can't find a deal, that shit is very expensive

mainly in part because of the publicity of the arts in relation to the UFC/Strike Force, etc

TKD can still be taken @ McDojo for 70/month down way from me

in fact..there are 3 dojos within a 3 block stretch, i shit u not

20. The Dark King

Oh yeah. Oyama is 80 a month. 70 if you pay the year upfront. Even Krav Maga has come down a bit. When I was into that heavy I was paying 250 a month for unlimited access to krav maga and tai chi but that shit really adds up though. Ideally I'd prefer to be taking Oyama karate for striking, in my opinion no other training program comes close in terms of brute force and stylistic striking. After all the style was developed by a dude literally beat a bull in fight.
    I'd dude BJJ for grappling since judo is too gi focused in its grappling.
    I'd stick with crossfit for conditioning. I did one intro class and that shit is no joke. It works every single muscle to exhaustion.

Unfortunately all that shit combined would run me about 300 a month which isn't bad considering I spent double on that for dates and clubbing when I was younger, but now I have 18k student debt and will probably hit 40k once I finish all my programs. Thats 450 a month for ten years yikes lol