Two "Black" girls talking about their racial identity.

Discussion in 'Conversations Between White Women and Black Men' started by Thump, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Madeleine

Madeleine Well-Known Member

Just 4, that’s why I took it;)

2. Madeleine

That’s very true. I know people who say they experienced worse things due to tribalism in Africa than they ever did in Europe.

3. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Having an African name isn't the same thing, it's not even in the same ballpark. He's referring to these silly ass made up names that too many black folk have. Only in America.

4. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

Years & years ago Michael Eric Dyson wrote an article in Sister2Sister magazine in defense of ghetto names. Simptastic

5. Reverie

Reverie Well-Known Member

There is an expression in Norway for silly made up names: Child service names.

6. Madeleine

Hahaha, I love that.

7. Madeleine

Having an African name could be a problem because they might think that you aren’t a native speaker so they might not call you for a job interview (except my pic is on the application). It’s also annoying sometimes when they mispronounce it. It has a j in it which German pronounce as English y. But it’s short and simple and overall I’m living quite well with it.
    A friend who is Nigerian but born and brought up in Germany took up his wife’s German surname so his kids wouldn’t have to contend with a long-ass Yoruba surname and he’d be more approachable for his patients.
    I don’t like the made up names either, especially with a ‘ in it. Looks like a joke. Might as well add a ! Or # then their name can be #Boom’quisha, let’s take it to the next millennial level.

8. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

I don't care what name someone has as long as it means something, somewhere, to someone, in an actual language. These random collections of syllables, punctuation and nonsense irk me, though. Sharquayvious, for example.

9. Madeleine

Sharquayvious? Let me interpret for you: “like a shark” lol

10. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Worrying about the ignorance of others is futile. Not sure if I would want to work for someone that narrowly minded in the first place. The only practical way to be is to not be ignorant ourselves imo. I wouldn't be too concerned about a foreign name on an application, but when it's an obviously made up name they know it was a product of ignorance.

11. Madeleine

Yeah, I don’t give a damn, that’s why I took the name in the first place.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  12. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Yes there are plenty of foreign names in America. If it's not English, it's considered foreign. Not fair of course but it's not considered to be a big deal to have a "foreign" name. Here you can take your wife's name but that is almost unheard of, people here just don't do that. Then you have quite a few black people that take an Arabic name when they become muslims. If you see an English first name followed by an Arabic last name it's usually someone that converted to Islam. Nothing strange or unusual about any of it.