Two "Black" girls talking about their racial identity.

Discussion in 'Conversations Between White Women and Black Men' started by Thump, Jul 12, 2018.

1. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Funniest and truest shit you ever said. Respect lol

2. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

They sound like drug pushers. LOL. I think you're right though, because there are so many subtle and unsubtle ways in which the US and Western Europe (especially with their soft power) serve up their culture and values as "universal", and they're going to force feed them to the planet, like it or not.

White Americans often (particularly in minority-dominant environments) often emphasize their non-white aspects as a way to tap into the environment in which they find themselves. I think it's the uniquely pervasive US-type of racism that continues to make race so overly salient in everyone's consciousness, etc. I know a few African-Americans who are as pale or paler than her who whites identify as black. The minute they are aware there's a black person somewhere in that person's background, the whites make sure you know it, almost as if they're policing the color line to prevent any blacks from sneaking in.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

4. RicardoCooper

Expressing interest in a culture, yes. Going out of your way to virtue signal that you are "down" with that culture, particular with the black culture of "struggle" and even worse in some cases, the stereotypical hip-hop video lifestyle is a different thing altogether IMO

5. Madeleine

Madeleine Well-Known Member

The US is overly focused on race in a really weird way. I kindly suggest to stop the racial profiling. Why are there all these forms that ask you to check your race? The only relevant thing should be American/non-American. Having to check these boxes forces people to choose a race that’s why they are always so confused. If not for that they could just go about life saying I’m a mixed American and that’s it.
    Last time I seriously considered not checking the “Caucasian” box at immigration because after all I’m neither Georgian nor Armenian or Azerbaijani. But I didn’t have the guts. Those airport immigration people are scary! Lots of black women that were giving us really angry looks but then even the black men were looking pissed. Let me just believe they were pissed off because there was a long-ass queue, else I could interpret a lot of things into what went down at Philadelphia Airport.

6. The Dark King

It's baked into the system the country was founded on it

7. Madeleine

Do you still have to identify your race when applying for a job?

8. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

Racism first started out as a way to divide and conquer.

9. The Dark King

You don't have to but they use it for census

10. Madeleine

Okay.
    Traditionally we put a picture on our application but now officially you don’t have to because it’s been leading to discrimination of ladies with headscarf.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  11. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

What you say would be nice in an ideal world, but unfortunately in this country if you evidence any African ancestry at all, you will be afforded a different status and manner of treatment whether we check boxes or not. It is that reality that fuels all the rest of the neuroses, in my humble opinion. The only reason 'white/Caucasian' is relevant is because anyone of European ancestry, from any European country, is afforded a higher status in the eyes of other European-Americans. I don't think the boxes make it worse. They are necessary because of how bad it is. Without them, we'd never have the statistics to identify when blacks aren't hired/fired, aren't given loans to purchase homes, are concentrated in underfunded schools, etc.

The difference between the US and other nations of European origin is that the US is explicitly founded on white oppression of indigenous and African people, from the first time a European set foot on the territory. It's in the constitution, in the history, from the plantations to the reservations. The only analogous countries in my opinion would be Australia or Canada.

12. RicardoCooper

No, but if your name is Boomquisha or D'Brickashaw, I think your race is fairly obvious lol

13. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Not "started out" but still is. Shit's so woven into politics, religion and taints every aspect of American society that it's beyond depressing.

14. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

Racism started as tribalism. The first "racists" looked and acted just like the people they were racist against. The only differences were small things like 'we live in the hills and they live in the valley.

Three of humanities strongest instincts are fear, competition, and the need to belong to a group, racism is just all three of those things refined and purified.

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  15. Madeleine

Lol
    So I’m basically this white girl who’s surname is the equivalent of boomquisha. Well not like really extreme boomquisha but still boomquisha. Yep. Lemme make a YouTube video out of it.

16. darkcurry

Forgot about that part. Racism has so many roots.

17. darkcurry

Yeah, the shit sprouted. You almost have to start a new culture here in America to raise children in to get humans that are completely cleansed of it, but you have to educate them on racism or the ignorance to it will possibly lead them down that path if they meet the wrong people.

18. K

K Well-Known Member

Then you now have a bunch of people out there who have decided it's "cute" to spell their kids names in allll sorts of crazy ways (even just basic names) which also sends red flags. I've talked about this before. I have a unique name and it probably really helped me in the late 80s and 90s when it was a great thing to be "exotic" or if they thought you may be a minority. Now not so much. I have a unique first name and a french last name (my maiden name is Italian). I think at this point in time, it's better to have a very typical white bread first and last name....because otherwise it's basically just what Ricardo said.

19. Madeleine

My first name is good, I’m talking of my married African surname. ;):D

20. K

K Well-Known Member

Yah I know. Does it have a bazillian letters?