Trump floats pardon for Ali & 3000 others

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Bliss, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Despite that, he was not aware that no pardon is needed, as Ali's lawyer has explained.

However, l think the 3000 others sounds promising to anyone innocently convicted or completing unreasonably long sentences, especially from the Clinton era.
    I hope that is who he focuses on.

More importantly, are those who were railroaded/wrongly convicted and since released, but they still never received pardons.
    I hope he does right by those victims first.

By Veronica Stracqualursi, CNN
    Updated 10:14 AM EDT, Fri June 08, 2018

"I'm thinking about Muhammad Ali. I'm thinking about that very seriously and some others," Trump said, while speaking to reporters at the White House before departing for the Group of Seven summit. "And some folks that have sentences that aren't fair."

In a statement, Ali's attorney, Ron Tweet, said that although he appreciated "President Trump's sentiment, but a pardon is unnecessary

JUST IN: Muhammad Ali attorney Ron Tweel: “We appreciate President Trump’s sentiment, but a pardon is unnecessary. The U.S Supreme Court overturned the conviction of Muhammad Ali in a unanimous decision in 1971. There is no conviction from which a pardon is needed.” (h/t @wlky)

....Trump told reporters that the legendary boxer is just one of 3,000 names he's considering pardoning, because "many of those names really have been treated unfairly."

story:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/06/08/trump-floats-possibility-pardoning-muhammad-ali.html

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/08/politics/trump-muhammad-ali/index.html

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  2. Frederick

Frederick Well-Known Member

More buffoonery. Ali can't be pardoned because his conviction was thrown about by the Supreme Court in 1971. Even if it hadn't been, he would have been covered by general amnesty that Carter gave to draft dodgers.

That being said, if Trump is serious about getting rid of the federal prohibition on weed and putting Sessions in check on drug sentencing, I'll legitimately give him credit.

I don't care how dishonest his motivations are, the war on drugs is a crock of shit and it needs to end. Fuck Obama for being too scared of the Republicans do anything more than pay lip service to ending prohibition on recreational drugs, and fuck the Democrats who went along with these draconian criminal justice policies while pandering to black voters. That includes the Congressional Black caucus, which overwhelmingly supported Clinton's crime bill in the 90s.

3. hulkx

hulkx Active Member

While the Republican party has been garbage for a while; the most recent presidential election has shown that the Democratic party is essentially a criminal organization. It's har to imagine I'd ever seriously vote for a Democrat again; especially an established person.
    ...And while Trump may not get it right 100% of the time, this man is shaping up to be truly the greatest president in the modern era.
    It's almost a given now he'll have a second term.

4. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

???????

What has Trump done exactly to make him the greatest president of the last 50 years??

If the DNC is a criminal organization for not fully supporting a candidate who was never a Democrat anyway, what do you call a party that suppressed 75,000 Black votes in Detroit to make sure Trump won Michigan??

The Dems have issues but they don't come close to the corruption inside the GOP.

We have a POTUS who would prefer to be allied with Russia, China and North Korea instead of France, Canada, Germany and the UK.
    How is that 'American'??

For those who question whether or not Trump conspired with the Kremlin to win the presidency, take note that much of Trump's foreign and domestic policies coincide with Russia's own strategies to bring down the USA.

Putin wants to weaken NATO, break up the EU and fracture the US/EU alliance. Apparently, so does Trump.

Trump said during the campaign he was going to enact sanctions against China.
    Instead, Trump said that Canada was a national security threat, put tariffs on all their exports and decided to accept imports from a Chinese cell phone company the CIA has determined is vulnerable to foreign hacks.

Trump is not a stupid man. So why the emphasis on pardons all of a sudden??

Because Trump wants to normalize to voters that pardons are a good thing and not a big deal, so when he pardons all his indicted co-conspirators, most Americans will already be conditioned to believe they were innocent victims.

Putin admitted he talks to Trump 'regularly'. Why?? Since when does an American POTUS talk to a Russian dictator regularly??? Putin is a thug who has robbed Russia blind. The man has never held a private sector job and yet is estimated to have the largest personal fortune of anyone in the world.

Trump is going to be remembered like Nixon, in that yes he did do some good things while in office, but ultimately his greater crimes took him down.

Trump barely beat HRC the last time. There's little chance he wins Wisconsin, Michigan and Ohio again.

Unless the Russians help him out.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018