The Roman Catholic Church

Discussion in 'Religion, Spirituality and Philosophy' started by Beat-man, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Beat-man

Beat-man Active Member

2. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

I was raised religiously, but began moving towards my present-day atheism from the ages of 9-11. My family is Catholic, AME and Episcopal. I don't think the Catholic Church is the antichrist or Babylon or any of that, but I do believe that, like most hierarchical organizations, it seeks to preserve itself and its power. And that's enough for me to avoid it like the plague.

3. Since1980

Since1980 Well-Known Member

I also grew up in a religious household but the older I get, the lower my opinion of organized religion has become.

I'm guessing the video here is critical of the catholic church but aside from them spending years covering up rampant child molestation, they aren't any more ridiculous than any other mainstream religion.

4. K

K Well-Known Member

They aren't the only ones. They have just had the spotlight.

I'm in the same boat with how I feel about organized religions/cults.

5. Since1980

Since1980 Well-Known Member

Oh I don't think they're the only ones covering up something awful. But I doubt that it would be as big as that scandal, though.

6. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

I'm still religious. In my religion called learning, professor Einstein is a prophet.

7. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

I agree with both of you. The Catholic church only gets the focus because of the concentrated attention from the press, but there are pedophiles in most denominations - religion is one of the institutions where people are regularly encouraged to surrender their autonomy to a higher authority (God, but usually mediated by the 'one' who has the 'message', i.e. clergy). Mormons, prosperity gospel Protestants, etc.