The Offensive Awards

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Bliss, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

I don't think it is a bad thing. It is part of the Mexican culture. And decorating cookies can be fun.

2. K

K Well-Known Member

Well that's what i was thinking. Then there was some post on FB where some Mexicans were posting something about how they don't want (white and others) people making it into a circus and how people are being disrespectful and so forth.

3. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

I understand that logic.

4. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

How many years?

Also, never heard of Dia de los Muertos. Interesting. Celebrated same day as Halloween?

5. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

In Mexico, it is a two-day holiday(November 1st and 2nd)the first is a day for infants and children who have died. The second day is for the adults. It is a way to communicate with those who have left the natural world and gone to the other side. Food is placed on makeshift altars inside the home in honor of the dead like breads, cake, cookies and candy. Flowers are also used.

This tradition has been in practice for as long as 2,500-3,000 years.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. K

K Well-Known Member

Different cultures have different celebrations (just as with most holiday celebrations) All Hallows Eve, All Saints Day, Dia de los Muertos, St Michael the Archangel, Octoberfest, etc - all around the same time. Pagans, religious, harvest based, etc. All different beliefs and history involved. There's all sorts of information on the internet about it just as with other holidays. You may find it interesting to read about.

In regards to schools being odd about Halloween...it's been going on since my oldest was young (at least) out here. He just turned 29. Some folks feel that it's very disrespectful, that it's some sort of Satan worship and so on.

7. K

K Well-Known Member

This is considered a sacred event and that's why some are not ok with white folks painting their faces, making sugar skulls etc. They feel like they are just going for the fun part and not respecting the culture or paying respect to the dead, which is what it's really about. Many/most have some sort of traditions/celebrations to pay respect to their ancestors.

I totally get the concerns and sentiments. I studied traditional Hawaiian culture and they have all sorts of beliefs and traditions and feel that much of their culture has been turned into a commercialized spectacle. It can kindof be a double edged sword though. They want to keep the culture alive and growing, but they don't want people taking it and making fun of things. Unfortunately, when you bring the culture to others, often they run with it and twist it into something else.

8. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

There are a few "outsiders " who have adopted the ways and traditions of other cultures. The most famous example was Espera Oscar de Corti, an Italian-American actor who was famously known as Iron Eyes Cody. He played Native Americans for years in the movies. He had learned many things about Indians and their culture. He explored all the stereotypes. He was the crying Indian in the powerful Make America Beautiful commercial.

Hawaiian culture is interesting. I recall seeing YouTube videos on native Hawaiian people not liking the haoles or white people from the mainland, especially the rich and wealthy who want to exploit their islands for their own gains.
    Getting a job there is not easy because a lot of the jobs go to the Hawaiians before they go to an outsider.

9. K

K Well-Known Member

This is an interesting thing. My best friend's daughter is in theater and she's Japanese and a great deal has been discussed about Asian characters being played by white people, and of course, there is a lot of upset about it. This still goes on in recent times too. It's kindof interesting though because some are accepted and others are not. In my case, I didn't seek out the Hawaiian traditions....they came to me and wanting to bring me in. This has happened to me all through my life though with different cultures. I think it's partly because I'm genuine in my interest and respectful, appreciate learning and never would think I am "in the know".

You're a cinema buff, so you are much more aware of all the various movies where white Americans have taken roles where others were not even considered.

10. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

John Wayne played Ghengis Khan in the film The Conqueror. Paul Muni played a Chinese man in the film The Good Earth, a film based on the book by Pearl S. Buck. Ricardo Mantalban played a Japanese kabuki actor in the film Sayonara. Warner Oland played many Asian characters and he was Swedish, the most famous was Charlie Chan. Actor Ross Martin from The Wild,Wild West played Charlie Chan. Joseph Wiseman played the titular character Dr. No. Kurt Jurgens played an Asian soldier in The Inn Of The Sixth Happiness.

Christopher Lee, Boris Karloff, Warner Oland and Peter Sellers all played Fu Manchu.

The list goes on.

11. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

I'm aware of the years of feelings of religious disrespect, but how long have the cancellations of Halloween celebrations been in effect. You had said years. So it's about 25 years at your son's school that they cancelled it?

12. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

When l visited in Hawaii, l met many workers and residents who were Japanese.

13. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Back in the 80's, many businesses from Japan came to Hawaii and so did the Japanese people. It boosted the tourism industry for Hawaii. They were also living there before WW2 as Nisei(2nd generation Japanese-Americans).

14. K

K Well-Known Member

Yes, when he was in Kindergarten they wouldn't do the Halloween stuff. (It may have been prior to that - IDK) We were having "Harvest Festivals" and such instead. After that, my kids were homeschooled and just from being around others I know that some of the schools have allowed things and others have not. But much like with Christmas and Easter, they don't call it usually call it Halloween. That goes for many of the community events too.

When my younger kids were little, we lived in a different area that wasn't so PC and when my now 14 year old was in Kinder they called it a Harvest something and the Kinders were allowed to dress up and they did a parade through the other classes. The grades would give out candy/prizes but did not dress up. I remember telling my friends in other areas (many with older kids) and showed pictures and they were really surprised that the school did it.

We are involved with a homeschooling charter now and my daughter goes to a class with them once a week. Last week we had a "Trunk or Treat" and given that the charter is a public school, I was surprised they were ok with doing it. It was an impromptu thing that was set up in a few days (I did most of it) and I really think they let it roll because the organizer of the center isn't one to think about things. I noticed that none of the other locations are doing it - all their parties are "harvest" this or that. Many schools aren't allowing for parties at all now too.

California can be really uptight about things.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Oh FFS, the stupid triggered Liberals who started this whole 'cultural appropriation BULLSHIT, and those who continue to perpetuate it, are just pathetic now.

Little girls should not dress up as Moana this Halloween because it is 'RACIST cultural appropriation' or Elsa from Frozen because it promotes 'white beauty', activists warn
    By Rod Ardehali 28 Oct 2017

[​IMG]

• Dressing white children in a Disney Moana costumes for Halloween 'is racist'
    • A parents blogger has written of the risks of 'cultural appropriation' for costumes
    • Brooklyn mum Sachi Feris claims white westerners risk being racially insensitive
    • Polynesian Moana 'is based on real history and a real group of people,' she said
    • Parents should also think twice about Frozen's Elsa who promotes 'white beauty'

16. hulkx

hulkx Active Member

17. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

I had heard on the radio about the 'Math privilege' whine. It's utterly ridiculous in its premise. The underlining aspect within her disasterous theory is that Math - in all its form, culture and comprehension - is only for/by White people, and elite (smart) Whites at that. She's become a laughing-stock. Thankfully, Mathematics et al, will outlive this ornery pc culture.

18. hulkx

hulkx Active Member

The end of PC culture can not come soon enough!

19. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

20. hulkx

hulkx Active Member

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List