The Nerdz Lounge.

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Ra, Dec 12, 2010.

1. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

@ColiBreh1, @meowkittenmeow, and @The Dark King
    You guys mind editing your remarks about Sabrina by throwing up some spoiler tags? Even if you've got a point to make about the show, some people will want to watch without knowing what happens.

Meowkittenmeow, I included you in this since you quoted the spoilers lol

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  2. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Saw it annoyed me too. I get allowing them to try out but cheating to get her on the team was not only messed up since it took a spot from a kid who hard to get on the team opposed to someone who woke up that day and decided to play its illogical. Is Sabrina gonna cheat for her at every practice and every game? And anyone with a shred of integrity would never want to make it that way.
    You can tell not a single person on that writing staff every played a sport or even competed for anything in their lives.

3. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

I finished the second season last night, and I get what you mean. But I still enjoyed this season. I suspect I don't find the feminism stuff as offensive as some, plus I've seen far worse (the worst I've ever seen was probably The Fall, with Gillian Anderson on Netflix).

That basketball storyline is addressed later in the season, kinda (it's a comment or two, not anything on the court). And the feminism is somewhat toned down in the second half. Or maybe the story just gets more interesting lol.

I think the feminism seems so stifling because it isn't necessarily written that well. There's a way to do it right.

I personally have an issue with their depiction of Christianity. And it's not just that they're satanists, that's par for the show. It's that their illustrations of Christians and angels (angels!) are one-dimensional and borderline offensive, not to mention that it makes little sense in the context of the show.

Bottom line, I see real problems with the show, but I still give the second season of Sabrina a thumbs up and am eager to see what's next.

4. meowkittenmeow

meowkittenmeow Well-Known Member

I think a lot of shows are trying to do what "The Good Place" does, effortlessly. But, as I mentioned before, this is going to be a common and played out narrative in most shows for the next 2 to 3 years. I never made it past the first episode of the first season, so, ya know it is what it is. Netflix knows its demographics and tries to cater to everyone. So, you get some really well-thought-out shows, or some really great action or science fiction with unique story lines. Even some of those are really capable of creating female-driven shows that are unlike anything else (The OA comes to mind). Then you also have the "feminist wet-dream" shows like Unbreakable Kimmy, Santa Clarita, and many others. So, I think Netflix is trying to make something for everyone.

If you haven't gotten a chance to watch OA, I would suggest it. It's a solid show. It has a few social-justicey moments in each season, but it is so understated that you can easily miss it. The feminist shows try to overstate everything, just like a lot of pro black shows overstate the hell out of things instead of telling a good story, simultaneously showing underlining parallels to our current society.

5. Tamstrong

Tamstrong Administrator Staff Member

Yep, the movie being better than the book is a rare thing.

6. SilverSmith

SilverSmith Well-Known Member

A brand-new poster and "undead" trailer for iZombie's fifth and final season.

[​IMG]

7. SilverSmith

SilverSmith Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Spidey's Theatrical Release Date Moved

In a recent press release, Sony announced Spider-Man: From From Home will premiere on July 2 in North America instead of its originally scheduled date of July 5.

https://tinyurl.com/y5dfowox

8. meowkittenmeow

Is this show any good?

9. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

I enjoy it. Mindless entertainment. Some solid IR in the last season or two.

10. meowkittenmeow

Oh cool. I enjoy Infrared.

11. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

That part could actually be anti-feminist because it's true...
    [​IMG]

I could cross this girl up and I rarely play sports. lol.

I checked out after episode 6 of the first season because it got boring. Reading the reviews and fans online they don't seem to like the 2nd season very much.

12. Young Herschel

Young Herschel Well-Known Member

I checked out after they revealed S1 that Sabrina's cousin was a homosexual . . . if he wasn't I'd still be a fan probably

13. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

You may consider giving it another shot. That cousin is actually bisexual. He does plenty of hooking up with one of the minor female characters in season 2.

14. The Dark King

That is the Netflix teen show playbook. Its in Sex Education its in All The Boys I've Loved its in The Perfect Date On The Block Sierra Burgess is a Loser those are the only ones I can think of off the type of my head but it looks like a literal agenda push. For what reason I have no clue but there it is. Straight black men are the enemy for some reason.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

They're trying to hit every demographic, plus you know the gay community has more power in Hollywood than the black community so that combined with the white hollywood community they're going to get whatever they want.

But Netflix has a pretty good percentage of shows and Movies geared towards straight black men in IR relationships. Both Original and from other shows they feature. So it's not something that is overwhelming like it is in other places. Something for everybody. It's just that IR is not in a category like gay is because IR especially between black men and white women are more controversial than gay relationships.

16. The Dark King

I would agree if it were every kind of person in the LGBTQ community its mostly if not only black men. I don't see shows where the gay best friend is an Asian lesbian or a trans Indian guy its almost always a black dude and usually someone who takes on feminine traits.

17. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

True indeed. They want no manly brothers but a gay brother who is not a threat.

18. Young Herschel

I had to stop watching Sex Education because the gay dude was too damn disturbing!

19. Young Herschel

Which is why we must champion "Legacies" on Netflix as much as we can lol. I play it in the background while reading just to boost its numbers which I know CBS productions take into consideration when planning S2 this Summer. I'm gonna be angry if they make any of the brothas on the show gay just to fill a demographic . . . watch it be Caleb (SMDH)

I've asked the writers repeatedly now to give him and MG both some new white girls next year via twitter :)

20. Young Herschel

I cannot identify with a bi guy either. Too unnatural which I know sounds strange regarding a supernatural show but it is how I feel.