The Nerdz Lounge.

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Ra, Dec 12, 2010.

1. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

THE BOYS Trailer

Looks like a cross between Watchmen and Suicide Squad with a little Jessica Jones sprinkled all over their originality. I like it.
    Also there might be some IR in the clip with one of the black super heroes.

Based On The Comic Book By Garth Ennis and Darick Robertson
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Comes out this Summer. Looks and sounds pretty bad ass.

Superheroes enjoy the kind of global celebrity that the real world’s most popular Instagram influencers are blessed with. The visibility and power that comes along with that reality, naturally, leads to a number of them lapsing on their better judgment. Make of that what you will.

2. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

"The Secret Circle". It was show about a coven of teen witches & the show was supposed to be tied into "The Vampire Diaries":

3. meowkittenmeow

meowkittenmeow Well-Known Member

Oh, alright. Thanks.

4. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

I read some of that comic. It turned my stomach. I'm not one to be squeamish, but this one just wasn't for me. Maybe I'll like the show better, maybe I'll never watch to find out lol

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  5. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

Yeah, dark and twisted "superheroes" aren't my thing and some of the stories from the comic are really messed up, so I'm gonna have to take a pass on that show.

6. darkcurry

I was just put on to it when I saw it was being written and developed by Eric Kripke the creator of Timeless.

Are you able to tell me a couple of the things that are a turn off?

Maybe they went differently for the show. The trailer isn't that dark. Remember they adapt material for the live action universe.

But I would like a heads up to proceed with caution. lol. So what's going on in the comics?

7. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

The whole series is about racism, horrific violence, rape, and straight up murder all done by "superheroes." And the only people keeping the heroes in check are the Boys who themselves engage in horrific violence and murder.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. meowkittenmeow

meowkittenmeow Well-Known Member

It makes sense. People don't just stop doing evil things just because they have powers. If anything, it would embolden the wicked.

9. darkcurry

Yeah, to me that sounds like something that would unfortunately happen if humans really do have abilities. I mean don't we get these things out of those that are sworn to serve and protect? From those that are rich and powerful? From those that are supposed to lead? Human beings are a fucked up species, man. lol.

I have to check it out to see how they adapted it to the screen though. Remember they could very well make it different when adapted to the live action universe. The trailer so far looks dark, but not that dark. Hopefully they keep the series itself like that.

10. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

Yeah, I get that power corrupts and in the real world superpowered people might turn out to be terrible human beings, but what makes superheroes special to me isn't just their powers and skills, it's also their rock-solid moral compasses. I remember a line in some old Superman comic that said something like "even if Clark Kent was only a mailman he'd be the most honorable mailman you'd ever meet." Maybe it's just my inner child talking but I like my heroes to be heroic, If I want to see deeply flawed people lie by saying that they are champions of the people, I'll watch political coverage on CNN and Fox.

11. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

I'd just build an island like Hispaniola but in the Pacific to escape hurricanes. Make money off half if it via tourism. Do whatever the fuck I want with the other half. Attack me and I'll pull the damn moon out of the sky like Thanos......lol

12. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

It's this exactly. There were 2 things I read early on that told me this wasn't gonna be my new favorite comic. They both involve Starlight, the "new girl" of the team, who is a naive and idealistic conservative Christian. She was a member of the junior team (think Teen Titans) who got called up to join the big team (think Avengers or Justice League).

1- Starlight gets a tour from the Superman/Captain America leader of the group that ends with her having to give head to all the guys on the team to secure her spot. She's traumatized.

2- Sometime later she catches her (also "Christian") boyfriend and fellow superhero having sex with another ("Christian") member of her old team. The writers even admitted they initially only included Starlight to make her look bad.

Here's a bonus.
    3- One of the main "heroes" straight up raped the wife of one of The Boys just cause he saw her on the beach and thought she was attractive. She got pregnant, and the child was so powerful that he tore his way out of the woman, killing her. The dude had to beat the infant to death with the chord still attached. He didn't even know what happened to her til later on when he read something she wrote.
    [​IMG]

13. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

EXACTLY! Superman's greatest superpower is his character. The fact that he can be that powerful and not completely take over proves the point.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  14. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Meh......Superman is pussy wipped, so he will be a good little boy for love.

Captain America is just because he feels it deep within. All he needs is his small apartment and shield and that's enough for him to dedicate his life fighting for the freedoms of everyone.

He also has to actually work hard on the job considering that he's not overpowered.

15. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

Oh you done got me going now! Lol :p:D

Superman is whipped??? Are you referring to Lois Lane? Clark Kent was a high character guy long before he met and fell in love with her. He even became Superman, devoting his life to protecting and inspiring, before he met Lois.

The entire point of John and Martha Kent was the idea of instilling those "Midwestern American values." That and his honorable parentage (the House of El) are the foundation of his character.

Superman feels the need to "be just" every bit as deeply as Captain America, arguably more deeply because no one could stop him if he chose to be unjust (he'd obviously be much tougher to stop than Cap).

And Superman clearly works very hard to do what he does. He's just on a higher level. Does LeBron James not work hard just because he has WAY more ability than the best guy in your local rec league? Both may be impressive to us, but one is clearly superior.

However, that's not your point, is it? People often find Superman less than compelling because he can do so much (like people got tired of the Jordan Bulls and the Saban Crimson Tide). This is a result of poor writing.

I've got SO much more to say on this topic, but I've bored you enough lol! Thanks for humoring me. :cool:

16. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

I think Superman's story is less compelling because he desires a normal life just as much as he desires to help others, that's why he was able to get pussy wipped.

Captain America never cared for a normal life. From military to sheild, his work is his life and comes before all. He does this because of his deep felt conviction. Just like if a woman was to marry a Navy Seal they would just have to accept that his work comes first and he will compromise that for no one.

Only a woman with true unconditional love can tolerate Cap, and he knows it.

It takes deep character and conviction to not even consider a normal life. He is happy being himself and accepts that he is not normal.

17. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

So Superman isn't as good because he manages work/life balance? How does that extra wrinkle make him *less* compelling lol? If Superman didn't have or want a personal life, wouldn't that make him more one-dimensional and bland (he's not either of those)?

Also, Superman is undoubtedly happy being himself and has long accepted that he's not normal. In fact, he's way less normal than Cap.

"It takes deep character and conviction to not even consider a normal life," sounds a lot like that BS lame writers have superheroes spout to their would-be girlfriends about why they can't commit LOL. I feel like they used that line on Arrow at least six times lol.

I guess we just don't see this the same. I enjoy the sparring tho :D

And as far as the Navy SEAL comment, I seem to remember hearing that special forces recruiters actually prefer family men because they have deeper and purer reasons to fight. Who know tho?

18. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Lol. Recruiters are known to lie like politicians lol. There isn't one that doesn't.

As far as special forces you either do it out of conviction or you do it because you love the job. Because it's actually much more than a job, it's a way of life.

Don't go into the military psychology of it, that's your weakest area. lol

19. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

True dat.

20. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Biggest lie I was told was that in the Navy you only do the job you signed up for. Lol.

I had to run the snack spot for like 2 months, then learn low level aircraft maintenance, then inspections. When I got qualified in that, I had to run a shop I didn't want to be in and train people on aircraft inspections and safety until they let me into Avionics, which is what I signed up for and studied in Military school to begin with.

Then there was "collateral duty" and standing "watch" on the side. lol

I got into the Avionics shop relatively quick because I busted my ass, so it was worth it but damn if that wasn't the biggest lie. Lmao