The Nerdz Lounge.

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Ra, Dec 12, 2010.

1. meowkittenmeow

meowkittenmeow Well-Known Member

That is the interesting thing about gay black men. Bi and queer black men tend to tell a very different story. Most of their ridicule comes from black women (because a black woman can eat pussy every thursday and still consider herself straight). So, there is a good number of angst towards black women in those communities. Black women realize that, and push gay black men to the forefront. Black women don't want to be held accountable, so they will choose gay black men who they see as sisters. They are also quick to silence lesbian and bi black women. Those women are quick to call out black women on their bullshit as well. Which is why lesbian rappers like young ma get called misogynists. I find it all rather amusing. They have their matriarchal power, and are very methodical about it. You mentioned in a previous thread about how feminism doesn't help poor women especially poor black women. I agree, but the black women in power still need feminism in order to control the narrative and maintain power. It's an interesting Dynamic.

2. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Can't have being mentally and physically superior that's just too much lol

3. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

https://twitter.com/realmikecolter/status/1054220817603551232

Based on this statement made by Mike Colter on twitter it seems that this show and the Luke Cage character is done for good. The way he is talking here it sounds like he is ready to move on from the character which would automatically spell doom for Jessica Jones after the 3rd season unless they COMPLETELY change her story. Which I don't see working out well. Maybe with the feminist fans.

4. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

Jessica will be the last Netflix Marvel show standing because she fits the feminist agenda. They will lose money to keep the show going just like how "Girls" lasted 6 seasons despite low ratings

5. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

Years ago I was listening to these two creative black guys chat. One of them got around to bringing up this space saga. I won't go into the interesting details about the plot but I will tell you that the saga centered around two black boys from different parts of Earth. The first response that came from the other guy though was why not make one of the two boys a black girl. And my little response/interjection was why? Why not just keep it to two black boys?

But that response from the other dude, long before the #Me Too movement or the greater public push for more "kickass" female leads, is so typical of the few black men in power in Hollywood. They are overly concerned about black female representation eve though black male representation has not come close to being fully realized. Black men like Coates who write the BP comic book or Coogler who co-wrote and directed the film go out of the way to do more for the representation of women in these projects than white guys have who come before them. White guys don't feel awful or guilty by putting white men on a pedestal above all others in such fiction. Black dudes though spread the wealth much better but don't get a lick of credit for it. It was a black male before Coates who came up with Wakanda's female warriors/bodyguards. It was Coates who decided to make the BP comic a feminist manifesto more often than not. And it was Coogler who decided to provide the black actresses much better roles than the white male directors of Marvel gave their white female supporting characters in prior Marvel movies.

And this desire to make sure black women are properly represented, even at the expense of black male characters, is so ingrained in the minds of prominent black guys in entertainment. I see it in their quotes in articles and in their comment on social media all the time. And a bunch of these dudes came from two parent homes in which they had a strong father (like Coogler) so it's not just the dudes raised in homes by mama alone.

6. JamalSpunky

That cartoon isn't great either. It waters down the great stories told by Marv Wolfman and George Perez from the 80s Teen Titans comic books and turns it into a show for toddlers. The fact that that version of Titans is the one that most have been exposed to is so sad.

But, yeah, I'm staying away from the TV version largely because of the casting of that black chick as Starfire. Defenders use that inane response that Starfire is a fictional alien character whose race has no true representation in the choices of humans we have on this planet. Well, no shit but that doesn't mean you should cast someone who looks so different than her. The should have gone for some mestizo Latina and made her skin a little more bronze/red with a long wig.

7. JamalSpunky

She was his love interest in the heyday of the comic books too. The problem is not their likely pairing on the show, the problem is the terrible casting of Starfire.

8. JamalSpunky

The only group who has truly benefitted from the recent big diversity push in Hollywood have been black women.

They have been the main beneficiary of race bend casting more than anyone else. Not just comic book characters, but there are movies/series on the way based on fairly new and popular novels in which black actresses are getting to play characters originally conceived of as white.

Black women have replaced Hispanic and Asian women as the women of color most likely to be paired with white men on screen.

Black chicks can be plucked from obscurity and given major roles in major films in a way black guys have NEVER been able to. A good example is the black actress picked for this upcoming Charlie Angels' update. Her IMDB resume is littered with nothing but short films and appearances on unheard of British shows and yet she got a gig in a potential franchise. Compare that to John Boyega who had to wait years after getting rave reviews as the lead in "Attack the Block" and the Sundance sensation "Imperial Dreams" before going through a grueling and unheard of six month casting audition before landing a leading role in Star Wars.

And now you have black chicks who can take one of the rare established leading roles of a black male character in a franchise such as Men In Black. Notice how a white guy remains in MiB but this time he is younger, sexier.

I tend to trust black women filmmakers and showrunners more than the heterosexual ones because they aren't so invested in doing a project just for the purpose of pairing a black female lead with a white dude. :rolleyes:

9. JamalSpunky

It wasn't heading that direction either with that showrunner from Luke cage ignoring Jessica at all costs. Still I think Coulter would jump back in if the Jessica Jones show requested him. He loves working with that actress and vice versa. And I'll say it again the best handling of his character came from the first season of Jessica Jones IMO. At the very least it set the tone in making Luke an intelligent and thoughtful person and not the 70s stereotype that he was portrayed as for the better part 40 years.

Definitely one of my biggest gripes too. In the comic book Shuri is no genius. And yet all I kept hearing after the film came out was how the film did a great job at giving girls, particular black girls, an inspiration for getting into more scientific and technology fields. Wait a minute. People are forgetting that black boys don't have much of a presence in these fields either, unlike white and Asian boys. Don't black boys need some inspiration too?

10. JamalSpunky

This axing of Luke Cage came as a surprise as a writer’s room under showrunner Cheo Hodari Coker had had been working for awhile, producing scripts for a third season, with a formal order considered almost a foregone conclusion. The pink slipping of the Mike Colter-led series was ultimately a combo of the age old creative differences and the inability for the parties involved to reach a deal, according to sources. We hear that Netflix was not particularly impressed by the delivered Season 3 scripts. The writers room was recently put on hold, and we hear a behind-the-scenes turmoil ensued. There was a disagreement between the sides on a creative direction and possible personnel changes, leading to the cancellation.

I'm guessing the creative differences may have been the Luke Cage showrunner not wanting to incorporate the Jessica Jones angle.

That's not going to be happening either. No Daughters of the Dragon is coming.

11. The Dark King

And like I pointed out before with a Wrinkle in Time and other fiction with black women writers producers etc they could care less about black male representation at all. They will have a white father and father before writing a black male character into it. And there are no black male love interests anywhere in America media zilch nada nothing when a black woman is in charge. Like I said before they've made it clear white zaddy is the prize and white women are their arch nemesis. Black men are just stepping stones. I strongly encourage black men to leave those women alone find peace and happiness elsewhere they aren't equipped to share that with you.

12. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

Popular Tech News site TheVerge.com just put out this featurette today:

13. SilverSmith

SilverSmith Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Wonder Woman Sequel Delayed
    10/22/2018

Wonder Woman 1984 has been delayed seven months from Nov. 2019 to June 2020. Gal Gadot revealed the date change Tuesday on Twitter, calling the new date the Wonder Woman sequel's "rightful home."

(@GalGadot)
    Super excited to announce that, thanks to the changing landscape, we are able to put Wonder Woman back to its rightful home. June 5, 2020. Be there or be square!!!

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  14. darkcurry

They(We) don't get credit, because remember we are apart of the patriarchy, the white people of the black community and they feel that they are entitled to anything they get while black men can not have success unless he credits a black woman. Because black women are the all powerful of our "race" and black men need them they don't need black men so we get treated like 2nd class citizens in our community along with the entire world and it's warranted. And if you point it out you are whiney and need to shut the fuck up and need bitch slapped for disrespecting our queens.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  15. darkcurry

Greed is taking over. Of course. lol.

16. darkcurry

This sounds more like a superstitious business move that the studio may have been in conflict with. They probably feared it wouldn't do well in the winter time.

17. The Dark King

Not a good idea. People are gonna lose interest

18. The Dark King

Yup which is why I'm all about completely icing them out and ignoring them. They truly over estimate their reach.

19. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

"Changing landscape" What does that refer to?

20. darkcurry

Yeah, because who KNOWS where things would be at in 2020. That is a LONG way.