The Nerdz Lounge.

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Ra, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

It's called Supergirl for a reason. Trying to appeal to the 21st century "model" of what (white) women say they want to be.

What did you think you were going to get? Gratuitous tits and ass shots and Jimmy & Martian Manhunter running in to save the day each episode? C'mon now......

2. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Just weird that male shows don't need to take down Superman in order to be great heroes. Arrow didn't need to take on Batman to further his story. The Flash didn't need to take down Wonder Woman or Green Lantern. Its usually the taking down of a villain is how they establish themselves. See my point?
    And seriously what's with Martian Manhunter being her lap dog. He's far more powerful and far more experienced. Its like the only way she can be strong is by belittling males.

3. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

This kind of overcompensating has been happening in pop culture for a while now. The most glaring example is the Rey/Finn dynamic from Star Wars. It was awesome that Star Wars gave us a capable female protagonist, but making her the biggest Mary Sue in modern film history, was a terrible story mistake.

I understand why they do it, women have been marginalized in adventure stories for decades so they are course correcting to fix that. Unfortunately, a lot of stories written lately seem to have over-corrected and are turning the female heroes into unrealistic, and unrelatable parodies of themselves.

4. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

I get your point, but here's the thing : her taking down Superman didn't advance her story. Superman, being the character of hope, told her she was more powerful than he was. He was trying to inspire her to continue to follow in his footsteps. Being that she's the focus of the show and he's not around the majority of the time, it's not very entertaining to watch a superhero with her power set continually doubt herself. Then you're definitely waiting for J'onn or Superman to come through and solve everything when she's not stepping up to do what needs to be done.

5. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

I still lol'ed when Reign Beat the shit out of her.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I shouldn't have did that though. That was a brutal beat down. She basically tattooed her fist all over her face.

6. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

And she wouldn't have recovered from that particular ass wiping if her cousin had not given her "hope and inspiration" that she's stronger than him. She would have been like "Fuck it! I'm Out!" otherwise.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

Wait what??? Supernan himself said she was stronger!? Wth kinda bs is that?

8. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

So she's "stronger" than SUPERMAN and still got beat down like that!? This is insulting.

9. The Dark King

I really don't agree with women being marganilized in hero stories growing some of my favorite and most popular shows were Xena and Buffy. They were far better written and the characters had depth. Hercules didn't need to roll over for us to see that Xena was a bad ass she had her own dope ass story that out lasted Hercules. Super dope the love of her life was a black Roman. Buffy had depth she fought big odds and big monsters she trained hard and suffers big losses and that's why the show was so beloved. In fact she was a great depiction of a very strong woman who didn't need to beat you over the head with feminism in nearly every show to make let you know her and the other women were strong too. In fact that show did more for women and LGBTQ in one season than Supergirl ever will.
    I think men are represented more in these stories because men support these stories. Its like that women's only showing of Wonder woman and men being rightfully annoyed by it. Men created and supported that character for decades while girls were completely uninterested. DC created a Barbie with superpowers and girls still didn't like it. When me and my friends were in Dragon's Den debating over who would win in a fight Wonder Woman or Rogue not a girl anywhere in sight. They only cared because men care. Independently I think most girls wanted to watch dramas not action oriented stuff. Men ain't the ones making romance novels and Nicholas Sparks movies popular

10. The Dark King

Yup
    The Last son of Krypton who defeated Doomsday and Darkseid got knocked out by his younger inexperienced cousin.
    Like RA said it was created to pander to a certain demo. I no longer watch especially got tired of seeing them treat the two black male characters with less respect than her weaker less capable sister.

11. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Her show. Aimed at WOMEN.

No different from when white folks get clowned or play the back in shows that are aimed at black folks.

Same old Hollywood shit now for more specific audiences.

12. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

The action/adventure genre in popular entertainment has been a white guy club since Tarzan and Robin Hood were the goto big screen heroes. Sure there have been a few token women (and non-white men), but for the most part the role of female characters was femme fatale or damsel in distress. These new storytellers believe they are fighting back against the classic gender dynamics by creating these modern hyper-capable uber-Women. They also seem to think that any acknowledgement of the physical advantages of men is sexist in and of itself. So the result of this is shows and movies where women are flawless and invincible, and men are either beta males, or macho meatheads.

13. The Dark King

And that's why the writing sucks
    I am honestly surprised these shows last considering girls don't care about this shit the way men do

14. darkcurry

TRUTH! It's good we notice it from black folks as well.

15. The Dark King

What black superhero exerts that power at the expense of white people?

16. darkcurry

I was talking about this overall:
    "No different from when white folks get clowned or play the back in shows that are aimed at black folks."
    - @Ra

17. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

True Detective Season 3 teaser

18. darkcurry

Looks okay. I need just a little more though. Hopefully the 2nd trailer will grasp my attention.

19. darkcurry

[​IMG]

I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed this trend. I'm going to swing by the store and get me a hoodie now. It's been too long. lol.

20. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

It's like some of them have never even heard of nuance or anything other than pandering.