The Nerdz Lounge.

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Ra, Dec 12, 2010.

1. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

Trailer for The CW's new "The Vampire Diaries"/"The Originals" spinoff series "Legacies" dropped during SDCC a couple weeks ago. The producers are basically comparing this show to "Harry Potter":

Producers' preview:

2. meowkittenmeow

meowkittenmeow Well-Known Member

Which one of them is Janice Connor (Assuming they gender swap John Connor.)? Hollywood, in general, is lacking in originality due to it being more of a business and less of an art form. If you want original work, you have to look in indie projects (Ethan Hawke tends to find decent sci fi projects from time to time). The gender swapping is fine so long as it isn't a full gender swap. For example, Ghostbusters and so on. That's when the fans tend to get pissed because it is often the males who have enjoyed this genre and tend to buy all of the memorabilia (Comics, Toys, Figurines, posters, etc.). I think it isn't just unfair to the predominantly male fans, but it is unfair to women who might actually like an original series specifically for women. In addition to that, they might be more inclined to by the memorabilia if that is the case. This sort of thing just insults everyone's intelligence. I vaguely remember reading about how this was inspired by a script written by a black woman (same with the matrix), but I can't quite remember exactly.

3. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

I won't watch because Julie Pec sis straight up racist but I can see kids getting into it mainly girls

4. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

We already had the feminist Terminator show: The Sarah Connor Chronicles where Sarah and a female Terminator protected John Connor. There was also a female T-1000 for good measure. I personally believe the whole franchise is played out & should have ended with the last one

Agree completely with @The Dark King's take. I cheered when Solo flopped because I saw it as male fans making their displeasure known about The Last Jedi, while I boycotted it because of the "pansexual" Lando. Disney got the message with that one, but instead of righting the ship, they'll blame "toxic fan culture"

Strange how sci-fi and genre stuff is the hill that feminists want to die on, seeing as women hate the very nerds who grow up to make this stuff, and would never date them IRL. The only reason this bumper crop of chicks even come to cons is for cosplay a.k.a. getting attention from thirsty geeks. Oh look here's the 500,000th Princess Leia Slave Girl

The same feminists who are forcing gender and race switching on our beloved franchises don't seem to want a BLACK BUFFY GO FIGURE

https://www.themarysue.com/i-dont-want-a-black-buffy/

5. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

I just can't believe they would make John Connor a girl. I'm fine with the Terminator defending the Connors being female,(big fan of the Sarah Connor Chronicles), but why change the gender of Sarah Connor's son??

You can't produce a sci fi hit appealing to only or primarily women. Although you can make a hit scifi movie geared towards adolescent boys.

Boys and girls are just different. Just like most young men don't read Rom-com, most women aren't into sci fi action flicks.

Hard to believe James Cameron is producing this.

What I really don't understand is why make the main protagonists ALL women?? Why be so exclusionary??
    At least the original Terminator movies had equally important and powerful male and female characters.

The success of Wonder Woman has gone to people's head and think that formula can re-produced, a Girl Power superhero movie, when in fact WW is one of the most popular and established characters in the DC Universe and she still couldn't carry her own comic book.

EDIT: I just read that the young Hispanic girl on the movie poster isn't John Connor, just one of the main protagonists.

John Connor may not be in this reboot initially. The reboot is supposed to start where Terminator 2 ended.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  6. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

Whether it's fair or not female-led action movies are a massive crap shoot. For every Mad Max Fury Road, there are ten Red Sparrows. I believe it's because action movies call to the male psyche more than they do to women, and men find it difficult to live vicariously through a badass female hero, making dudes reluctant to go to those movies.

Hollywood is doing the right thing by trying to diversify, but they need to remember who their audience is.

7. The Dark King

I agree Black Buffy is plain stupid why couldn't they just call it Slayer and star a black chick. I'm a huge Buffy fan and would love to see more of the universe explored but this is a bad idea. Smh

8. The Dark King

I disagree I don't think its that men can't live through female characters because like I said earlier I loved Buffy The Vampire Slayer. I really enjoyed Red Sonja as well anything with Michelle Yo in it, hell Crouching Tiger was dope because of the women. The problem is the way they write women in these stories is they make them into pseudo dudes not women there's barely anything feminine there. Not to mention when they do write female characters there's no evolution and no hard work to get their powers. Think Rey in The Force Awakens. What made Sarah Connor dope was she started out weak and realized she had to become bad ass to protect her son. Buffy had to train for years to become bad ass. For some reason they don't get that and then blame men when their inferior art bombs.

9. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

Yeah, I like a lot of those same characters too, but the fact of the matter is there are a lot of men who watch action movies specifically for the male power fantasy, and those men don't really warm up to female action heroes. That's why with a few exceptions movies starring female action heroes don't do as well overseas as they do in America.

10. ColiBreh1

11. ColiBreh1

Is it a safe bet that this new "Buffy the Vampire Series" reboot series won't air on The CW? The CW only airs shows that are produced by either Warner Bros. Television or CBS Studios (not counting summer filler tv shows). BtVS, it's spinoff series "Angel", & even the 1992 film were all produced 20th Century FOX.

I should probably check which studio is producing The CW's new "Roswell" reboot series because 20th Century Fox also produced the original series that aired on the old WB Network/UPN.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  12. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Black Buffy? damn. Tell me that's gonna be the name of it.......lol

13. RicardoCooper

Yup that's all they had to do

14. RicardoCooper

Wonder how much money the studios are willing to waste with their social experiments

15. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

Ha, the writer of that article is black and bi.
    Princess Weekes
    [​IMG]

16. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

I feel sorry for the black kid. You know how they're going to do him. But, maybe he'll be cool like Marcel was? But, my guess is he'll be the nerd or gay or both. "Heart throb never. Black and ugly as ..." you know the rest.

17. The Dark King

I get why people audition for these roles just sad that too often these young men and women don't get the shine they deserve. Like I said Julie Pec is so fucking racist and it annoys me people have to take jobs from that prick

18. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

Okay you brothas are gonna have to clue me in on this Julie Pec. Who is she and what racist things has she done? So far I only know of her being a showrunner and a producer.

19. The Dark King

For me its about the content he creates and the black characters are used. There's a very clear bias

20. ColiBreh1

How did y'all feel about Vincent?

The name is actually spelled Julie Plec & Julie is woman, not a dude. Anyways, I've only heard of Julie Plec being racist from this old the hater site I like to whine about thread about behind the scenes rumors/gossip on "The Vampire Diaries":

https://www.lipstickalley.com/threads/the-vampire-diaries-tea.771627/
    Ever wondered why Kat Graham gets sidelined in the show? Because Julie Plec is a racist and a bitch in general. nobody in the cast can stand her