The Late Legendary Boxing Champ Jack Johnson pardoned by President Trump

Discussion in 'In the News' started by ColiBreh1, May 24, 2018.

1. Reverie

Reverie Well-Known Member

Pimpin, nope it is straight up attraction.

He adored us, and we adored him right back. The attraction was brutal.

2. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

He is fine as f**k here!!

3. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Maaan... His style was class A.
    Look at how incredible he looked.

4. Mrmike757

Mrmike757 Well-Known Member

My man went vanilla and never went back respect lol.

5. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

I give the brother credit for crushing pussy left an right, black and white but not for saving hoes. Getting white chicks to leave their husband though....gah damn! Stone cold.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Reverie

Reverie Well-Known Member

The man could wear a suit.

Totally!

He, he, he.

7. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Videos were great!!!! His cheeky sense of humor shines through. ;):D

I watched Ken Burns documentary when it came out. I agree it was excellent.

This past Sunday morning I was listening to 'In the Living Room with Sonny Hill' who's a very well-known National Basketball Player and local broadcaster, and he had Marc Lamont Hill on.

On a previous show, Sonny had mentioned Jack's name to Marc, who had apparently never heard of Jack and what happened to him. So he looked into it and was completely flabbergasted by all of what this great boxer experienced ....it was a really great update exchange between Sonny and Mark.

Boxing fans also called into the show (both B & W), telling stories about Jack Johnson, in particular how the fight in Havana was thrown, that he (Jack) didn't give in, yet others suggest it was because Jack was hoping to get the Mann charges dropped, which BTW, was one of the things that Mark 'discovered' - how they got Jack on the Mann Act.. (Basically how he was railroaded, etc.)
    It was cool to see the new generation become aware of him.

Sonny was also quite furious that the MSM were not covering this at all. He said Jack deserves the coverage because of all he endured and triumphed..l agree with Sonny.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. redlolly

redlolly Well-Known Member

I saw this recently it was wonderful.
    Shameless pandering from Trump. I'm convinced there's nothing he wouldn't do if he thought there might be a vote in it.

9. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

True Redlady.

10. Soulthinker

Me too.

11. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

Trump got this one right. Credit where it's due

12. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Had NO IDEA he opened a restaurant and club. A business man, too? No wonder the ladies loved him. (hoping the domestic violence allegation weren't true - would sink my heart if so :()
    Nonetheless, it's been 105 years..before granted his pardon. Holy sheet.

In 1912, Johnson opened a successful and luxurious "black and tan" (desegregated) restaurant and nightclub, which in part was run by his wife, a white woman. Major newspapers of the time soon claimed that Johnson was attacked by the government only after he became famous as a black man married to a white woman, and was linked to other white women.
    Johnson was arrested on charges of violating the Mann Act—forbidding one to transport a woman across state lines for "immoral purposes"—a racially motivated charge that embroiled him in controversy for his relationships, including marriages, with white women.
    There were also allegations of domestic violence. Sentenced to a year in prison, Johnson fled the country and fought boxing matches abroad for seven years until 1920 when he served his sentence at the federal penitentiary at Levenworth. Johnson was posthumously pardoned by President Donald Trump in May 2018, 105 years after his conviction.

13. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

It's hard to tell, you have to remember they didn't like the fact he was with white women. The whole Mann Act was made because of that. So it could be lies. None of those women ever came out and said he did anything of the sort. Lucille Cameron divorced him because of his philandering and his last wife, Irene Pineau remained with him until his death. Unfortunately his first white wife, The beautiful but obviously tragic Etta Duryea suffered from depression and commited suicide.
    [​IMG]

His last wife Irene buried him next to Etta, which tells me she was more than likely the love of his life and he OBVIOUSLY had expressed that to Irene or she wouldn't have done something so unselfish like that.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  14. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Good info.
    One note: Pretty sure The Mann Act was in effect before him, not because of him. There was a lot of sex-slavery trading and kidnappings going on. They just trumped up the charges on him using it.
    Kind of like the RICO Act. Broad powers.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

http://www.pbs.org/unforgivableblackness/knockout/mann.html
    You are correct, I had to jog my memory it's been a long time since I seen the documentary on Jack Johnson. Been meaning to watch it again as I do still have it on DVD. :)

16. Soulthinker

Back in the early 70s there were plans for a marker for JJ but, for some reason the family would not allow it.

• List
  17. Soulthinker

One of the people who worked at that club was Bricktop the owner of one most famous club in Paris.

• List
  18. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Never saw the actual signing and paperwork. Powerful and cool photo.

[​IMG]

19. Soulthinker

Today, Jack Johnson has a marker. Must had been erected about 10 years ago.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  20. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

He's no Herschel Walker.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2022