The Growing OPIATE & OPIOID epidemic...

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Bliss, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Curious on your thoughts on their effects nation-wide.
    Should Narcan be widely available to revive the near-dead?

One Sheriff refuses to provide it to his officers, due to their safety and the cost to taxpayers. Is he being heartless or reasonable?

A young 10 yr-old child, Alton Banks, just died from unknowingly ingesting it while at a community swimming pool. A speck of fetanyl powder killed him.

Does it concern you that American youth and adults are dropping like flies, or is it a "Oh well, too bad, not my problem" situation for you.

For international members, has it hit your country? Your thoughts?

2. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

A little breakdown of these powerful narcotics..

[​IMG]

It’s human nature to avoid suffering, and one of the most frequent reasons why people seek medical treatment from a doctor is to help with pain relief. When over-the-counter pain relievers don’t provide the relief that a patient is seeking, the doctor can prescribe a stronger pain medication.

However, when not used according to the doctor’s instructions, or used for a long period of time they can lead to drug addiction.

Difference Between Opiates And Opioids

Opiates: A Natural Pain Remedy

Opiates are alkaloids derived from the opium poppy. Opium is a strong pain relieving medication, and a number of drugs are also made from this source.

Types Of Opiates

• Morphine
    • Codeine
    • Heroin
    • Opium
    Opioids: Synthetic Pain Medications

Opioids are synthetic or partly-synthetic drugs that are manufactured to work in a similar way to opiates. Their active ingredients are made via chemical synthesis. Opioids may act like opiates when taken for pain because they have similar molecules.

Types Of Opioids

• Methadone
    • Percocet, Percodan, OxyContin (oxycodone)
    • Vicodin, Lorcet, Lortab (hydrocodone)
    • Demerol (pethidine)
    • Dilaudid (hydromorphone)
    • Duragesic (fentanyl)
    How Opiates And Opioids Work

Both of these types of drugs alter the way that pain is perceived, as opposed to making the pain go away. They attach onto molecules that protrude from certain nerve cells in the brain called opioid receptors. Once they are attached, the nerve cells send messages to the brain that are not accurate measures of the severity of the pain that the body is experiencing. Thus the person who has taken the drug experiences less pain.

Drugs in these classes also affect how the brain feels pleasure. A person who takes them who is not in pain will experience a feeling of elation, followed by deep relaxation and/or sleepiness.

Addiction To Opiates And Opioids
    When people use these medications only to treat pain as directed and for a short time, they are less likely to become addicted. Prescription drug addiction occurs when patients develop a tolerance for the level of medication they have been described and no longer get the same level of relief.

They may not have the same expectations for relief as their physicians and may equate the term “painkillers” with the medication being able to take away all of their pain, while their doctor may be thinking in terms of pain management, which means bringing the pain to a level where they can function at a reasonable manner.

When expectations do not match, patients may take more of the pain medication than prescribed to get a higher level of relief and in turn develop a drug addiction issue.

3. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

I care as much about the opioid epidemic among primarily Trump-voting, far right rural voters as they do about my issues as a black man, which is zero

These people don't think twice about demonizing black drug addicts, black people in general, big cities, blue states, liberal "hellholes," Democrats, Obama, etc with a broad, sweeping brush. George Soros is their boogeyman, not the drug dealer/meth cooker

Some white trash coal country hick ODing on smack or meth is no big loss IMO

I mean, of course you're free to give a shit, but you asked.

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  4. medullaslashin

medullaslashin Well-Known Member

The differences in the way they're handling this drug "epidemic" and the way they approached the crack epidemic are stark. Another devilish part of society's response to the crack epidemic (and its accompanying crime wave) was a popularization of notions of black "low iq", "low impulse control" and "genetic inferiority", as epitomized by that '90s book "The Bell Curve", written by an obvious racist, the cross-burner Charles Murray. Race-ghouls cite that book and its statistics to this day.

Personally, I think the opioid epidemic is overblown. Call me paranoid -- but I believe the crack epidemic was INTENTIONAL targeting of the black community, and now the opioid epidemic among whites is being "played up" in media to distract from that fact...

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  5. 4north1side2

4north1side2 Well-Known Member

Being that white people refuse to show the same level of compassion they had for black drug users for fellow white drug users, I don't give a single fuck.

Now Google some statistics that supports your racist views clown that it affects black people dramatically too.

6. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Is this an issue for us to care about?
    Especially in red states where they hate us?

7. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Last time I checked 45 and his babbling talking head was demonizing marijuana.

Lol

8. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Amended: This warning is ONLY FOR RED STATE CITIZENS, per @The Dark King, who feels it doesnt affect Blue States ( code for Black?). Ignore if you live and/or are a Blue. State Democrat.:) You are immune.

Be careful on the beaches, swimming pools, lakes, parks, basketball courts, badeball diamonds, playgrounds, ya'all.. Red State Rural members...ONLY. Please watch out for and protect the liitle Red State Tykes.

It's raining needles': Drug crisis creates pollution threat
    By MICHAEL CASEY
    Yesterday

[​IMG]

In March alone, San Francisco collected more than 13,000 syringes, compared with only about 2,900 the same month in 2016.

[​IMG]

They hide in weeds along hiking trails and in playground grass. They wash into rivers and float downstream to land on beaches. They pepper baseball dugouts, sidewalks and streets. Syringes left by drug users amid the heroin crisis are turning up everywhere.

People, often children, risk getting stuck by discarded needles, raising the prospect they could contract blood-borne diseases such as hepatitis or HIV or be exposed to remnants of heroin or other drugs.

Reports of children finding the needles can be sickening in their own right. One 6-year-old girl in California mistook a discarded syringe for a thermometer and put it in her mouth; she was unharmed.

9. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

LOL. I was thinking this was a troll thread.

10. bodhesatva

bodhesatva Well-Known Member

I find it interesting that the opiod epidemic in the US is disproportionately a rural-white thing, and to a much lesser extent a black problem. I'm not saying that's good, I'm just saying it's interesting, and it would be good discussion to figure out why that's the case.

It is definitely my problem, even though I am personally not a rural person -- I live in America, and we're all connected. I want to help people out, even those I don't know.

11. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Hmmm...so evidently youre speaking for whom and to whom exactly?
    Sp the Opiates epedemic doesn't exist in Blue States. Well l will adjust my warnings then.

12. bodhesatva

bodhesatva Well-Known Member

What about someone like me? I'm not black, but I care about black drug issues. I'm not a rural person nor am I even close to being a Trump voter, but I care about the opiod crisis in their communities, too. I see why it's harder from your perspective, though, and I might feel the same if I were in your shoes. I'd just ask you to consider this: the division you are describing here? The mutual hatred between city-dwelling-multicultural communities and rural white communities? Trump is feeding off it. The mutual animosity and lack of sympathy is playing right in to Trump's hands.

13. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Get your Grave Jig ready for this dead child, you pathetic, soulless demon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Opioid crisis claims its youngest victim: Boy, 10, dies after coming in contact with a 'speck' of fentanyl at his local swimming pool
    [​IMG]

I can hear your laughter from here, Northslime.

14. The Dark King

Like its been said I'll give this the same concern when it was crack

15. The Dark King

Trust and believe those in charge are not talking about this kid

16. The Dark King

Nope try again
    Their indifference and support of our persecution created this long before Trump got here. Can't expect us to care about communities who usually support our state sanctioned murder

17. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

I live in a deeply Democrat City. The crisis is EVERYWHERE here. But why should l care, right? I should only care about rural Red State addicts. The largest heroin supplier and dealer is Mexico. But they NEVER send dealers to Blue States.

This is the mentality of some on this forum. "You die now. We no care".
    This forum has been taken over and gone to pot. The 2-3 usual suspects are very happy it has too. BM.com.

18. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

When you take a step back & think about it, both Republicans & Democrats feed off of this divide.

19. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

He's the leading story. Try again.

20. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

No, butthurt people like Northslime, TDK and his minions feed off it. They WANT addicts to die. They think a poor rural person with White Skin is his arch enemy. Thats how delusional theyve become. Forget that there's more who relate, than hate.