THE FUCK YOU THREAD

Discussion in 'Conversations Between White Women and Black Men' started by z, Nov 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Real talk but with the inevitable market saturation to follow, people will end up flipping burgers for 7 dollars an hour whether they like it or not (some people turn to drugs or whatever for the prospect of earning more)

That just basic math

Another reason to support lifting the minimum wage, because people shouldn't be shit on (my vocabulary is limited, forgive me) because of the job/career they chose

The downside tho as illustrated by a basic Econ course is that with higher wages, you may end up with less positions, as opposed to lower wages and more positions

2. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

You need to revisit some of your econ notes because you are forgetting the multiplier effect. Money circulates and the more there is the more it circulates. Higher wages means more customers to buy things with. If everyone has low wages that means far less spending.

3. lippy

lippy Well-Known Member

You obviously think mentoring means buying them a basketball and shooting a few hoops ...mentoring is so much more than that...it's day to day or weekly contact with a young person or persons depending on how you do it...big brothers and sisters is a one on one program that I have participated in...I actually had a little brother which is unusual...group mentoring can be through YMCA or any shelter...it's a commitment of setting an example

I think it's best to mentor where people can identify with you...I teach classes to women on appearance, interviewing and getting back to work...I work with groups because one on one doesn't fit into my schedule with all the traveling I do...I am also willing to put my money where it counts...I just spent a considerable amount of money at SAMs club buying underwear and socks for a women's shelter...it brings you back down to earth when a woman is so grateful just to get new under garments...through my travels I collect all my hotel amenities and give them to the shelter as well

Do I think it's enough ...no....could I do more ...probably...do I think that everyone could do more...now that would make an impact

It's not all or nothing ...you may try and fail but at least you tried...if you made a difference in the life of just one youth...then it was worth it

4. The Dark King

Ok fair enough. I've also done the mentorship thing, did it for three years in my early 20s and we did family dinner once a week and we did a lot of homework help and I helped a kid who wasn't going to graduate hs graduate but when he turned 18 he kind of fell of the face of the earth and I always look back on the fact that he had a lot of friends and probably would have benefited a lot more from me by us investing time in skills he could later use more so than the good times.
    I tend to think far beyond the moment.

5. 4north1side2

4north1side2 Well-Known Member

I know for a fact that local news media and outlets spotlight inner city crime on their platforms as the main articles. Comparing Sandy Hook to inner city crime is apples to oranges and you know this.

Sounds like a personal problem.

6. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Interesting view on things

I'm sure both sides are looking thoroughly at all of the possible outcomes...and not just implementing knee jerk reactions to the poor wanting more compensation for labor

Right?

:-o

7. Since1980

Since1980 Well-Known Member

This is a major point that people who oppose minimum wage increases often forget about. The people who will spend that money are the folks who have to spend that money, whether it's on food, clothing, transportation, etc. Not only that but that money also goes right back into the economy in the form of tax revenue, which a lot of counties and cities are starving for at the moment.

Edit: rep added.

8. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

http://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2014/01/economist-explains-11

Some more info on that minimum wage issue

As long as it wouldn't affect the hiring (or firing) of workers, I'm all for it

The wage level is an absolute joke right now..you really can't expect people to survive off peanuts

And the whole argument that you should have stayed in school or chosen a better career path is horseshit

There will never been enough high paying jobs to go around, regardless of education.....ends up becoming 'i got mine, fuck you'

9. The Dark King

My problem with a low minimum is it creates problems on all levels, what incentive does a worker have to work for almost nothing if they can't survive. You tend to get people who don't care because their pay is low, you see it all the time in places like Walmart and fast food. When the service is poor people don't want to shop there as often not to mention the toll it takes on the economy as a whole because if people don't make enough they don't shop.

10. The Dark King

Thanks fam, that econ minor rears its head lol

11. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Basically

There was a thing here about trying to raise the pay for security workers

Safeguarding people and property is a noble profession, yet the pay these workers receive barely gets them by

12. The Dark King

The problem is the individualistic nature of capitalism, everyone who owns a business only thinks about extracting as much profit as they can in the short term. What happens to the value of money when only a handful participates in circulation?

13. lippy

lippy Well-Known Member

One thing I think they fail to teach in owning your own business 101 is that your margin (profit) is only as good as how much business you are doing...owner starts to make money and all of a sudden he needs a luxury car when to continue to grow the business he would have been better off giving his workers a raise so they either don't leave or become his competition...he would have been better off extending promotions to his customers or creating a loyalty program so they keep giving him their business instead of going somewhere else...

But it is easier to play the blame game and have it be someone else's fault that his/her business is failing

14. The Dark King

Amen Lippy. It seems like a no brainer but too many people think of business as a way to become part of the elite class, it has little to do with serving the public that helps them get money. It's weird narcissism that has only been pervasive for the last couple decades. There was a time where people took pride in serving their community now its about a damn Lexus and a vacation home.

15. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

Here's a question about raising the minimum: Does that not force employers to raise other income levels? If I'm an admin assistant making x amount of dollars and a high school student who's working the counter at McDonald's is now making the same as me, yet I have a lot more skills than he/she does, is it fair that I'm only making the minimum? Maybe this has been addressed somewhere else - if so, someone link me, please?

16. The Dark King

Well you could argue you get more hours than the hs student since they more than likely can only work part time.
    Also keep in mind you probably get health insurance where the hs kid doesn't. You also might have more flexibility in hours etc

17. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

Ok, change it to the kid who graduated HS and works there full time.

18. Archman

Archman Well-Known Member

This is one of the most fruitful discussions in recent months.....the problem is in getting these disadvantage youth to figuratively sit at this table and accept your assements and reasonable solutions......How can they be convinced to LISTEN....

19. The Dark King

Well remember minimum wage doesn't mean maximum wage and as an employer you still have to create incentives to keep management happy.

20. The Dark King

Incentives incentives incentives.
    Offer them perks like a free tablet. This idea that education is its own reward is outdated and out of touch with the today's youth.
    Make it worth their wild, make it competitive, give real opportunities that will last a life time like finish your certifications in x amount of time and receive x rewards. It can be done people have to stop and think about what would get them excited.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.