Tennis Season is ON!! Roland Garros

Discussion in 'Sports' started by tuckerreed, May 30, 2006.

1. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

One day, Kickster, one day. :p

2. orejon4

3. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Serena Williams is an absolute disgrace stealing the limelight from the U.S Open Winner, Naomi Osaka. A sore loser beyond the pale. On top, to try to blame her cheating and tantrum violoations on sexism..just stop it.

• Williams has been fined $17,000 for three code violations - coaching, smashing her racket and 'verbally abusing' the umpire
    • She maintains Ramos treated her unfairly because she is a woman
    • WTF chief Steve Simon supported Williams on Monday and said the umpire's rulings were not fair
    • Novak Djokovic, the men's champion, said he does not think there is a double standard
    'I felt like I had to apologize' (for beating her): US Open winner Naomi Osaka said..

4. LA

LA Well-Known Member

An absolute disgrace? Reaching much???

5. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

No way! Did you watch that award ceremony???

6. Reverie

Reverie Well-Known Member

Serena made an arse out of her self.

7. orejon4

I disagree. In 30+ years of watching tennis, I've seen men get warnings for far worse. The only egregious thing deserving a point deduction was the racquet smashing, not the coaching or the chair being called a thief. She wasn't even watching the Mouratoglou hand gestures. And definitely not an entire game! That being said, I think Serena was very kind toward Naomi, who played magnificently and shouldn't have had this mar her victory, but in my opinion, it doesn't. Even had the rulings not marred the set, she was on her way to a win nevertheless.

A great overview of the women's final controversy: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-...nishment-double-standards-undeniable/10222688

And I was crushed in the Men's Final. I was really pulling for DelPo.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  8. meowkittenmeow

meowkittenmeow Well-Known Member

9. Reverie

I had respect for this woman before she turned up with her baby in a credit card commercial.

10. orejon4

LOL. That doesn't bother me so much. I guess she's just trying to cash in on the endorsement deals and perqs that they were unable to get for so long. I'm impressed that she has so quickly returned to competitive form. She and Kim Clijsters are the only two pros I can think of who bounced back so quickly from childbirth.

11. Reverie

It bothers me, because I hate when people use their children to earn money.

12. orejon4

I seriously doubt that she is using her child to make money. The marketing campaigns she engages in and compensation she receives are about her as the greatest woman tennis player in history. The inclusion of her daughter is more about humor that such a hard woman has a soft edge as a mother. Most of her ads subtly poke fun at her character.

13. orejon4

Osaka and Djokovic with the wins.

14. CAkicker

CAkicker Well-Known Member

They are Olympic Gold Medal Favorites

15. orejon4

True. Not a big fan of the Djoker, but Naomi Osaka’s story is really heartwarming. She’s a great, humble kid.

16. orejon4

Glad the Djoker didn’t take Olympic gold. Does anyone else think Barbora Krejickova might have been faking that diaphragm issue to interrupt Muguruza’s rhythm so she wouldn’t force a third set?