Star Wars

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Thump, Dec 13, 2015.

1. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

Both the Marvel and Star Wars slate is overkill. But at least Marvel has a better recent track record.

As for Obi-Wan, its actually better that McGregor is older because there is no way Kenobi can look like he did at the end of Revenge of the Sith and eighteen years later be THAT old in a New Hope.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I read about the first reason after I posted last night. I would’ve told him to kick rocks and recast the role. Get a voice actor who can mimic Pascal and keep it moving. No one would’ve GAF.

I think, storytelling wise, there are other ways they could have done that, without showing his face, which would have had the same effect.

It was handled so clumsily, anyway. Bill Burr’s character said he couldn’t show his face to his old superior because he’d be recognized. But, then he goes and does it and doesn’t get recognized. Now, the Empire has his face in their database.

I read there’s a rumor that Boba Fett will be taking over as “The Mandalorian” in season 3 because of Pascal’s drama over the mask. Take that with a grain of salt, though.

3. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

Another possible reason for the awkward way that was handled could be to a thing I read that said the outline for each episode are purposefully kept vague so that the director of the episode has a lot of leeway as to where he or she wants to go with the story.

• List
  4. glt1980

glt1980 Well-Known Member

I dont know about that, we know dark side users do age faster and more intensely, Palpatine, Vader, Maul for example. We cant assume that just the darkside has that effect, the training Obi Wan did in exile could have greatly effected him. Look at what happened to Luke in TLJ(yeah I know the movie sucked), projecting himself across the galaxy sapped his life force. We also know that Tattooine was a harsh and desolate planet, it had 3 suns, get too much of the one Sun we have living on Earth and you look can look haggard. Owen and Beru grew up in that environment and they were younger than Obi Wan but still aged quickly.

5. glt1980

If the primary reason they did it was to keep Pedro Pascal happy I understand it, you have a hit series after a string of missteps in the Star Wars universe and you are starting to regain so momentum you want to keep thing moving that way. But I do agree that keeping him masked until the end was the way to go, not knowing what is behind the mask adds to much to the mystery and intrigue. The most iconic character in all of Star Wars was not unmasked until the end and it worked. Not know what was behind Vader's mask added to just how much of a bad ass he was. Unmasking him in the end did not matter because his Legend status had already been established. One of the initial reasons that I had high hopes for Kylo Ren was because of the mask he looked so cool and intimidating then when he took it off that went away, even not knowing the identities of the storm troopers adds to their mystique.

The mandalorian's legend is still be written so to do it so early might actually dimish it.

Speaking of the new shows I think that Disney/Lucas films missed a chance to right the biggest wrong of the entire sequel trilogy. John Boyega has said he would love to do a series based on Fin's character as long as it was true to what the character was supposed to be. Perhaps in a few years when the bad taste of the ST is out of mouths of Star Wars fans Finn will get his redemption.

6. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

Dude out here bagging on his former employers. He had a point, but bad form from Disney's perspective. Don't hold your breath looking for that Finn series.

7. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

Season Finale of The Mandalorian did what I suspected they'd do all season.
    Baby Yoda left to be trained by CGI Luke Skywalker, and Mando finally embraced taking off his helmet in front of everybody (without it being an emergency like the last episode). The only thing that pisses me off is that we got Boba Fett and Luke Skywalker in the same episode but they don't meet.

I really don't know where the show is going to go next season.

8. glt1980

Speaking of Boba Fett, the man who played the original Boba in ESB and ROJ; jeremy Bulloch passed away yesterday at the age of 75.

• List
  9. SilverSmith

SilverSmith Well-Known Member

The Book of Boba Fett, a new Star Wars spin-off, announced in season finale. Confirmed for Dec 2021.

10. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

Too bad they had him take his helmet off in the previous ep as well. That moment in the finale should have been the only time we saw his face.

They managed to have the all wahman strike force NOT be obnoxious although they waded through dozens of stormtroopers without a scratch

CGI Luke is the last twist I saw coming. You'd think they'd get the CGI faces right, I just cant buy into them 100%. Same with Grand Moff Tarkin and Leia in Rogue One. Strangely I can buy into the de-aged Stark and Nick Fury over at Marvel, though

Mando still has to fight Starbuck (can't remember her Star Wars name) for the Dark Saber next season

Fan rumors are saying that Book of Boba Fett is actually Mando Season 3 but then again, fan rumors said that Kathleen Kennedy would be fired yet here she is

So I guess the Empire didn't really fall at the end of Return of the Jedi, lol. Plenty of Imps, ships and bases still out there

Overall super happy with the season and ender despite my nitpicks

11. SilverSmith

12. ryanpaulstewart

ryanpaulstewart Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. SilverSmith

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  14. Skaddix

Skaddix Well-Known Member

Its hard to take this seriously lol without it at least having a show even animated.

Well actually Acolyte might fit in this zone but since Sith are suppose to be secret kinda limits things.

15. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

Mando has been a pleasant surprise. The Grade A cast certainly has a lot to do with that, though. I loved Rogue One and Solo more than the latest trilogy and they can give the Skywalker family a break, imho. The only Skywalker I'm interested in seeing more of (other than Luke) is Cade Skywalker, but Dark Horse losing the rights pretty much insures that that will never happen.

16. Skaddix

Oh yeah man I was a big fan of Star Wars: Legacy from Dark Horse...they kinda had to the rush the ending cause Disney Takeover but a good run.

17. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

I had my issues with the Star Wars extended universe (human racial representation, and convoluted stories) but Legacy wasn't bad, and they had my favorite incarnation of the Sith.

18. Skaddix

Its funny cause I think the EU had the opposite issue of the ST...the EU at least post ROTJ never really was able to move beyond the Big Three effectively. The sT just nuked them.

But yeah I agree the Human Racial Diversity was godawful. Like that popular NJO picture where all the characters are white lol and yeah I get it some are related to the Big 3 but that doesnt excuse all the other Humans on it. It wasn't like it was 3-4 humans related to Luke, Han, Leia and then all the rest Aliens. Lando was like the only black man in the galaxy for the Books and making basically all the new characters white at the start cascaded over time to make it worse. Comics were generally better later on. But part of that is they were far more flexible timeline wise.

19. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I saw that. David Prowse and Jeremy Bulloch were both lost this year.

I agree. Krayt, Talon...great characters.

Legacy was better in this regard. A Skywalker was the central character, but there was more species and human racial diversity across the board, as well as some IR and inter-species relationships, which only stands to reason, as humans are only one of a myriad number of species in the universe.

Yes! It was my favorite Star Wars title since the original trilogy.

20. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]