Robert Smith is my god***m hero!

Discussion in 'In the News' started by JamalSpunky, May 19, 2019.

1. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

In case some of you weren’t paying attention to today’s news, African American entrepreneur Robert Smith made some noise.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/19/us/morehouse-robert-smith-student-loans-trnd/index.html

This black billionaire, who was the commencement speaker for the graduating students of Morehouse College today, declared he would be paying off the remaining debt of this class. The total for doing so would run somewhere in the $40 million range.

When I heard the name I knew it was familiar, and not just in a passing familiarity of a black dude who is super rich. After some snooping I saw the name of his wife and recognized where I have seen mention of him dropped most often. It was on this board because this is the dude who married fucking Hope Dworaczyk!

[​IMG]

Obviously this guy was already a major winner, but now he has reached true icon status in my eyes. Here are the multiple reasons why.

1- He is an African American male whose value was estimated at 5 billion dollars by Forbes. And he didn’t get to that fortune through means we normally associate black wealth: sports, arts, music, fashion….church. This man is a former chemical engineer and investment banker. Those are not fields we normally see black people step their toes onto let alone thrive. He is the founder and CEO and chairman of a private equity firm. This should make him a role model for African Americans to follow.

2- Dude has the audacity to have a white wife in 2019, an era in which the black men who step outside the racial line for a mate must suffer ridiculous scrutiny from the Woke Throng. Not only is she white but she’s a former Playboy model. She’s 5’10 and about 15 years his junior. Who does he think he is? Some white guy? Seriously, though homeboy doesn’t care. He wasn’t waiting on some lady from the Kennedy family, he unapologetically went after someone whose physical appearance gained her notoriety.

[​IMG]

I still can't get over the gall of this highly successful black man to pursue and marry a woman who may lead to some scrutiny because of her race, their age difference and her former profession. Black males are NOT supposed to be allowed to do this type of thing but Smith did it anyway and it seems to be working out. This makes him a truly free black man.

And his wife, Hope, isn’t some Instagram slut who is looking for attention or comes out publicly expressing a desire for men to pursue her even though she’s “happily” married (like a certain wife of an NBA star). She is classed up based upon her social media output and she is someone who uses her husband’s wealth for humanitarian causes. Most of all their marriage shoots down that bullshit lie about how black men who marry white women or any non-black lady are sellout coons who don’t care about other black people. Granted some people are still going to try that spin. I’m guessing some black folks who are praising this man for what he just did will lose a lot of that zeal once they learn who his wife is! There is guaranteed to be those who will speak out on twitter, blogs, YouTube or even op-eds about how black people have to have some suspicions of Smith because of the color of skin of his wife. Of course it will only prove those people are nutjobs who thrive in the black community only by race-baiting. I can’t especially wait for all the bitter black chicks. At the same time I’ll give props to the black ladies who see the big picture and won’t turn on the man because of whom he married.

3- The extra bonus of not having a black wife is that the black media and especially black women won’t be rushing to put the spotlight on the spouse of the successful black man. If Hope was black those individuals would be trying to credit her just as much for his altruism and his donations, even though it isn’t her damn money.

4- This man is doing all of this for Morehouse graduates. Not Spellman….Morehouse. For those unaware Morehouse is a historically black, all-male institution. There may be a handful of non-black male students but this generosity by Smith will benefit mostly (if not entirely) young black male graduates. Juxtapose that with Bill Cosby who in the 80s donated some of his Cosby Show cash to Spellman only, the historically black, all-female school. Not a dime is going to black chicks this time around, unless you include the mothers of these young black Morehouse men who may have helped their sons with some of their student debt after graduation. When do you see generosity like this that benefits just black males? Often times young black males are excluded altogether. I have heard of things done in countries in Africa and in Haiti for black girls because of the belief they have been put more at a disadvantage in their societies. But someone looking out for black boys alone? That’s almost unheard of. Even further than that during this commencement address Smith was evoking the “brothers” that came before too and those that will come afterwards. I didn’t think black men in the USA were allowed to discuss the betterment of African American men without simultaneously adding black women into the equation. Heck, often the needs of black women are placed ahead of their black male counterparts in speeches and donations. I mean I love me some Obama but could you imagine him, if he ever had enough money to donate such a windfall, paying the debts for a particular class of students who were exclusively black males? Hell, no. He’s a feminist and would therefore want to include black female students in this. I realize Obama started My Brother’s Keeper, but let’s keep it real. And by the way this “exclusion” of black female students as a result of Smith picking Morehouse will likely draw some scrutiny over the near future, especially when certain people realize Smith has a white wife.

5- Smith and wife have sons! Actually only one son is listed in one online source but I’ve seen pictures and it appears the couple has two. Lots of people here know I have a pet peeve about this and they question my reasons for what they see as a trivial matter. The answer is I’m all about the well-being of black males, especially the next generations. I like to see as many of them be put in situations which gives them a leg up on thriving in our society. When I see famous or semi-famous interracial couples, regardless of whether it is BM-WW or WM-BW, I see families that could potentially provide stable, safe and economically strong households for children. And I want black boys to be represented in such households which is partly why I get annoyed when I see daughters being like 75% (based on my non-scientific observations). This sis why I can be relatively disappointed when Rupert Murdock’s daughter’s first marriage to a black man led to two children, both of whom were girls. Those girls, now young ladies, are automatically part of the high society that comes as a birthright. Because of their father’s presidency, the Obama girls are raised to that standard too. So its nice to know that Smith’s son(s) will have similar opportunities.

2. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

I love this!!!!

3. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

Beat me to it. But as humanity goes you KNOW there are always those that have problems with it. But I recognized him as soon as I seen him and I was like we posted about him on here. I didn't realize he was the RICHEST Black person in America even beating out Oprah which just goes to show the level of respect the media(black and white) has for black MEN because they always toted Oprah around whenever talking about black billionaires.

I hope this leads to him doing more. Making chess moves! :)

4. meowkittenmeow

meowkittenmeow Well-Known Member

Yet they call us toxic...

5. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

This dude is feared. I can guarantee that!

He knows what he needs to know in order to have no bounds no limits and he applied it like a boss!

6. meowkittenmeow

My point is that even the ones that we are supposed to look at as the “most jacked up” do more for the entire community than the women in the same position that aren’t jacked up (IE. Cosby vs. Winfrey). We are always doing the most in support of our community, but get dogged out like we are nothing.

As for Smith, I’ve been watching him for a while. He wasn’t afraid to go global when the good ole boys at Goldman were too stuck in their heads to see the benefits of it. This man is a genius and I am deeply proud of him, and find him to be an inspiration.

7. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

This is a great win indeed on every possible level. Black MALE philanthropist looking out for black males like we're actually worth something.
    I say it all the time as far as the media and elevated black women are concerned the only purpose black men serve is to be dead or in jail(do not watch See You Yesterday it'll annoy you). We are only good to be a platform for the likes of Ava Duverne to elevate with works like 13 while she also makes a film like A Wrinkle in Time which excluded black boys even though they had to race bend for the daughter and mother.
    Oprah can build schools in Africa as if the boys there aren't facing horrific odds as well. How cruel do you have to be to ignore children because of their accident of birth.
    It's the truest of inspirations to see a black man build his life up like this and give back so much.
    40 million is less than 1 percent of his wealth but he just gave these young men back decades of their lives. They can be leaders themselves without the chains of debt around their neck.
    And the best part is it was truly altruistic he gains absolutely nothing from this other than good will.

8. darkcurry

lol. If a black woman did this Black Twitter wouldn't stop talking about it and used it in a way to go after black men like they do many times.

Like I said although It worries me because of what kind of country this is I hope he aims higher with his power and status and don't be afraid to inspire like he just did today.

9. meowkittenmeow

That's generally how it goes.

10. The Dark King

What's higher than being billionaire who isn't tied down by image or outside forces. Great thing about investing is no one knows where your money is so you aren't beholden to anyone. You don't answer to shareholders a board a CEO. You're the show and everyone knows it. They come to you not the other way around. He's in my dream position the mountain top.

11. darkcurry

There are certain words you missed in what I said that is VERY important.

12. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

Concur with pretty much everything you wrote here. However while I'm not an Oprah fan and always looked side-eyed at what she did with her Girl Academy in South Africa, it should be noted that about ten years after Cosby's gift to Spellman, Oprah gave a similar donation to Morehouse. I'm being fair to her by bringing this up.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  13. The Dark King

Fair enough

14. The Dark King

15. Frederick

Frederick Well-Known Member

The gesture is well appreciated, but the system is fucking broken.

There's no justification whatsoever for the cost of a university/post-graduate education these days.

16. Reverie

Reverie Well-Known Member

This.

Anyway, a male/women only institution seem like educational heaven to me.

17. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

Amen. As phenomenal as this gift is, there aren't enough of these types of benefactors to make a dent in the problem.

18. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

They don't have that in Europe?

19. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Morehouse is a private school Bernie. How you gonna fix that, ban them?

20. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member