Rate The Pope!

Discussion in 'Religion, Spirituality and Philosophy' started by Morning Star, Dec 31, 2013.

?

How Would You Rate Pope Francis

1. I approve!

13 vote(s)
    72.2%
  2. I have no opinion of him at this time.

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. I do not approve!

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  4. Other - State your reason(s)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Morning Star

Morning Star Well-Known Member

With the sex scandals and the ritzy lifestyles, along with the exclusiveness in the whole Catholic Church, so much needed to be fixed in order to bring back those who felt alienated and disgusted by the actions of those who are suppose to be trustworthy. The big attempt was establishing a site devoting to bringing Catholics back to the flock, but that proved to be all too futile because nothing was really done to reach out to the masses.

Enter Jorge Mario Bergoglio, now known as Pope Francis, of Argentina. He has really took the world by storm and this is mainly due to him shifting the conservation on what matters most in the whole idea of the church - tackling the issues of poverty and partially the structure known as capitalism, instead of focusing on social issues like abortion and gay marriage. Not only that, this individual really took a strong stance on being more inclusive, not just to Catholics, but to non-Christians. It's definitely a step in the right direction to make people believe in the Catholic Church once more.

Whether you agree with his policies or not, you have to admit that he's definitely a figure that holds his true to his convictions and would rather see people live a better life in the midst of it all.

But that begs the question: Do you approve of Pope Francis? Why or why not? And furthermore, what would you like to see from him as a whole?

2. lippy

lippy Well-Known Member

I am not Catholic...I have never felt one way or the other about any Pope...until Pope Francis...his existence warms my heart...his selflessness is encouraging...the shift from social issues is telling in that he is not about exclusion but rather inviting all to embrace faith...

he is exactly what we need to see more of in this world

3. Morning Star

He grew up in a poor environment and even when he was Cardinal, he actually went around and took action to help uplift people from poverty. That's progress. I agree with you, nevertheless, we need more people like him in this world.

4. Bookworm616

Bookworm616 Well-Known Member

I like Pope Francis. I think he's exactly what the Catholic Church needed to start the process of healing within and without the Church.

He's a breath of fresh air and I'm excited to see where he goes from here.

Finally, something the Catholic Church did correctly.

5. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

Pope francis has barely been pope. Pope john was pretty good. He will in the end out look better than francis unless something big happens.

The man hasn't been pope for longer than a year and we are rating him. We might as well rate the next president while we are at it.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  6. Morning Star

It's understand that you feel that way, and rightfully so. It may seem premature to give off an opinion about him, but the fact that he's actually managed to make some internal changes in the church, and walk-the-walk, it's actually a decent reforming bit that he's doing. Starting with the very place he's in is an excellent start and thus, deserving of such accolades.

7. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Pope Francis is a Samurai. He is dedicated and compassionate. He lives a simple life given his rank in the world. I think he will do very well. I like him.

8. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Big fat fail today. Stupid comments that it's OK to punch someone in the face if they insult your religion.
    Who am l, who is he, who are any of us to decide if we can punch you because l am offended by your words. Your rights end the moment you touch another.

Turn the other cheek, or respond with words, screw this violent response to everything.

Nothing anyone says about my Faith could or should ever justify my punching them. Free godamn speech is the most fundamental right over religious rights any day, ever.

9. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

While he's too conservative for me (that's not saying much since I'm an atheist), I do respect his strong stance on Catholic social teaching and his slight retreat from the excessively judgmental application of doctrine. He hasn't repudiated doctrine, mind you, just not being as strident as his predecessor.

10. EuroChick

EuroChick New Member

So far, he's getting two thumbs up. :smt023:smt023 He's been pretty ballsy thus far. I like that about him. I didn't like the last one. John Paul II was great too.

11. Bookworm616

Bookworm616 Well-Known Member

I think maybe you misunderstood? Here is what he said:

If a friend "says a swear word against my mother, then a punch awaits him," Francis said. Vatican Radio reported that he then "gestured with a pretend punch" directed at the friend, Alberto Gasbarri -- an action that many journalists interpreted as a joke. Vatican spokesman Thomas Rosica later told CNN the remark was "spoken colloquially," adding the Pope wasn't advocating violence or in any way justifying the terror attacks.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/01/14/asia/philippines-pope-francis-visit/

12. Stizzy

Stizzy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    He's a bad muthafucka!!!! 5 thumbs up!!!

13. EuroChick

EuroChick New Member

Actually, Pope Dizzy Stizzy gets 10 thumbs up!
    :smt023:smt023:smt023:smt023:smt023:smt023:smt023:smt023:smt023:smt023

14. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

Father, pray for us. Lol

15. Stizzy

Stizzy Well-Known Member

Why thank you maam!! Lol

16. EuroChick

EuroChick New Member

Anytime, Sir! :smt025

17. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

I didn't misunderstand - I watched the actual footage of him saying it. He wasn't joking, he was firm in his statement.

How the hell do you say that after what just happened. Unacceptable. He could have said and 'demonstrated" a plethora of other examples of dealing with religious insensitivity.
    He likely saw the cartoons the Athierst publication CharlieHedbo did of him, and got miffed.

BTW, Stizzy...you look so cute dressed as the Pope. AND you get to live! :eek: Be blessed. ;)

18. Archman

Archman Well-Known Member

This pope will play a pivotal role as a unifying force for all religions through out the world. .....He will help to smooth the path for the New world order under-which the world will have one global religion. .....

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  19. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

Why can't these people just do it the american way. Either sue them into nonexistence or find another legal avenue of stopping them from printing.
    geez....

20. EuroChick

EuroChick New Member

A civil suit requires a degree of civility. ;-)