Random Political comments...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Bliss, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

While l think rich Congress members who could still afford payroll need to pay it back, they are conparing apples to oranges. Its not a valid comparison.

One was ensuring people would not lose their jobs, or if the company they worked for was shut down by the force of government, at least the people who wanted to work but could not, were still able to be paid weekly. That was the PPP loan.

This is why so many scammers are getting caught because they provided phantom employee numbers. The PPP was for the employees pay checks and rent.

Now for a school loan - that's voluntary, and the only person who benefits is the one individual who chose to go to college and is making up to $125,000.

You can't compare it side by side with a PP loan, otherwise why not take the $10 billion dollars we've sent to the Ukraine and help pay the school loans off with that - use that as a comparison.

2. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

And another thing, Since, throwing money at a problem doesn't solve it.
    The problem is the high cost of College, correct, but you don't see the White House calling out people like Native American Elizabeth Warren who squawked from her high horse that "it's the high cost of colleges as the reason people have huge loans" --- well, over a decade ago she ALONE was paid almost half a million dollars to teach one course at Harvard.
    SHE is why college costs so much.

Where is the energy about that?

3. Since1980

Since1980 Well-Known Member

No, I think that it is comparable, since both of PPP Loans and Student Loan forgiveness is being paid for by the same taxpayers, yet the GOP only has a problem when a portion (not even the entire amount) of other people's loans are forgiven. When the entirety of their own loans are forgiven, they don't have a word to say about that. It is rampantly hypocritical.

And just like they claim taxpayers didn't volunteer for partial student loan forgiveness, taxpayers didn't volunteer for Congressmen to use the PPP program as a chance to funnel taxpayer dollars right back into their own pockets. Unlike student loan forgiveness where the income is capped at 125k for singles and 250k for couples, there's no upper income limit for the folks who got PPP loans. They literally passed a law designed to give themselves money at our expense. Congressmen were literally getting millions in PPE money, despite already being wealthier than the average American; after all, poor people can't run for Congress.

If it's not their responsibility to pay for other people's student loans, then I'm free to argue that it's not my responsibility to keep their businesses afloat. To be clear though, I'm not even opposed to PPP loans in general, as long as they're managed well and accounted for, and the money goes to people who actually need it. And Congressmen should have exempted themselves from being able to receive funds. My main issue the hypocrisy of them being perfectly okay with income redistribution, despite how much they claim to hate it.

As long as they're the ones who benefit, of course. If they don't want to be called out as hypocrites, then they need to stop being hypocrites.

4. Since1980

The cost of college is way too high, I agree with you on that. But Harvard's endowment is $53.2 billion. You can probably find more than half a mil in a couch in any frat or sorority house on campus. We're not talking about some underfunded local community college paying out the ass to get someone famous to teach a class or lecture. Harvard is the richest of the rich. They're the 0.1% of the 1%. So, I have zero energy when it comes to Harvard. What they pay their professors has nothing to do with the rising cost of tuition of other schools.

Plus Harvard students tend to come from extremely wealthy backgrounds. "According to The New York Times, the median family income of a student from Harvard is $168,800, and 67% of students come from the highest-ear 20% of American households. About 15% come from families in the top 1% of American wealth distribution."

They also tend to go on to extremely lucrative careers because they went to Harvard. If you're a Harvard student, there's a pretty good chance that you wouldn't even qualify for the partial loan forgiveness under this plan in the first place.

Elizabeth Warren getting paid to teach at the wealthiest college in the world has zero effect on anything but her bank account. And they can definitely afford it, regardless of how much tuition they charge.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2022
  5. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

Meant annually. Oops.

6. Since1980

What's going unsaid his tweet is that military enlistment has been trending downward for years now. And military enlistment is always lower when unemployment is low, which it is now. When people have other options for employment as they do now, the military will be the absolute last resort.

Plus, kids these days see the kind of treatment (or lack thereof) that our veterans receive, and they want no parts of that. We'll throw billions at the military-industrial complex to keep it afloat, and then maybe throw out a few crumbs to veterans. We'll thank a vet for their service and completely ignore the treatment that they need when they get home. It's all lip service, and people are starting to realize that. A 10% veterans discount at Chipotle ain't gonna cut it.

When you see your parents, siblings, friends, classmates etc. repeatedly get screwed over by a system that will gladly send them into war and do absolutely fuck all for them when they get home, no one is going to be beating down recruiters' doors to go enlist.

7. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

On the loan forgiveness part, only Congress can approve that, Nancy Pelosi vehemently told us so.

Nancy calls out Biden

(Yes l know he's now using the emergency act to overide Congress).

Congress, whom we elect to pass Bills and laws, didn't vote to give themselves PPP lines, they voted to give everybody who had a business, loans to stay afloat.

Believe it or not, Since, there were and are Congress people who had side businesses that were affected - remember they earn $170,000 a year. (I think before the pandemic it was $150,000 a year?). So having a side business is not unusual, nor unfair. So why would they be exempt from getting a PPP loan? (Now, I do have a problem with them then making donations to themselves, hence why that money should be returned.)

You keep forgetting that businesses were forced to close down. Nobody forced anyone to go to college and incur debt.
    Do you see the difference?

I'm not disagreeing with some of your reasoning but it's misplaced and conflating school loans with PPP loans. Why not throw in the Ukraine Aid, why not pay off people's mortgages, or car notes, as well. Trust me, I'm likely benefiting from it because l earn under 125K, but I understand the resentment from millions of people who don't want to pay $20,000 and $10,000 of other people's loans, if they had to pay their own off. I get it, but sadly you don't.

8. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Then what is she banging her gums about?
    Because it's 'elite' universities like Harvard that charge exorbitant tuition fees. She's not talking about your local Community College or a local no-name College -- they don't have outrageous tuition fees. So not sure why you even mentioned that @ "We're not talking about some underfunded local community college paying out the ass to get someone famous to teach a class or lecture"

It is the schools that she herself demands they charge too much for, that she was paid too much for. There's no escaping her hypocrisy.

As l said before, the real problem of outrageous costs was ignored by vote-buyer Biden. He should ask, why should a law degree at an Ivy League school cost 10x more than one at your local Community College?
    We know the answer...because they pay people like Elizabeth ridiculous amounts of money and the Government pays them off to keep charging high fees, that's why.

So you should care.

9. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

BTW, to bring this full circle, lol...

Screenshot_20220829-140824_Chrome.jpg

https://www.bostonherald.com/2020/0...g-more-than-8m-in-coronavirus-relief-package/

o_O

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

Why do you have such a hardon for Ivy League schools?? Most students who attend public universities can't afford to pay out of pocket for their tuition. College anywhere is expensive. I don't know anyone who went to college who didn't need scholarships/grants/loans to attend college. And I know too many people who had to drop out for a time to raise money to finish their degrees.
    What Biden is doing is right, and most Americans know it.

Europe can afford not to make college students buried under debt but we can't?? Wake up. We're being hustled.
    Nancy Pelosi and celeb professors aren't the problem. It's when colleges became for profit institutions, which they should never be.

11. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

12. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

13. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  14. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Democrats had a shocking win in Alaska on Wednesday with Mary Peltola's defeat of Republican Sarah Palin in the special election for the state’s open at-large House seat. Peltola will serve out the remaining 4 months of the late Rep. Don Young's term and is on the ballot for a full two-year term in the November midterm election.

Peltola, who is Yup’ik, will become the first Alaska Native to go to Congress in U.S. history. She will also be the first Democrat in nearly 50 years to represent Alaska in the House. For 49 years, the seat was held by Young, who passed away in March at the age of 88.

Political pundits are interpreting Peltola's stunning victory as both a repudiation of Palin individually and also as a potential indicator that former President Donald Trump’s influence among Alaskans is waning. Trump personally campaigned for Palin in Alaska ahead of the election. However, while Alaska is generally a safe red seat, experts say its electorate has an independent and moderate streak—notably exemplified by its high-profile GOP Sen. Lisa Murkowski—that sometimes puts it at odds with the MAGA movement.

Palin, for her part, will be vying for the seat again later this year. If Peltola were able to hold the seat again in November, it could be a substantial step in Democrats’ attempts to retain control of the chamber overall in 2023.

15. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

16. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Introspection.jpg

17. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano Moderator

20220902_183342.png

18. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano Moderator

FB_IMG_1662209421306.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano Moderator

20220906_011703.jpg

20. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Katjy Griffin wrote on Twitter Tuesday, 'If you don’t want a Civil War, vote for Democrats in November.
    If you do want Civil War, vote Republican.'

Wow. A Democrat calling for a violent civil war. I see nothing has changed since 1861.

Screenshot_20220908-001101_Daily Mail Online.jpg