Random Political comments...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Bliss, Mar 6, 2013.

1. DudeNY12

DudeNY12 Well-Known Member

Lol! Thanks for the funny. I feel the same way about the Donald as he feels about me (and anyone in my image). Call them lunitics if you'd like, but all of the hate towards him is his own doing.

2. DudeNY12

I don't give them anything, but I definitely recognize that the party in control do all they can to cater to the NRA.

3. DudeNY12

That's not true. My understanding from hearing various LEO officials speak is that they want common sense gun control.

4. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

No, Dude...they cater to constituents who wish to honor and keep the 2nd Amendment. What is it, that you are missing this? It's much deeper than the NRA's opinion on guns..

5. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Huh? No way. They repeatedly say guns should not be on the street in any capacity.

A Democrat in N.C running for Sheriff just last week is being called out because he said he will pry guns from cold dead hands if need be...

"..What would he do if gun owners don’t comply with the laws he’d like to see enacted? He advocated killing anyone who refuses to surrender their guns.
    “You’ve heard people say you have to pry my gun from my cold dead hands.” He then shrugged his shoulders, shook his head back and forth, and then continued: “Okay…”

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...-kill-gun-owners-who-wont-give-up-their-guns/

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  6. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

Politically the NRA does have incredible power in Congress. First of all, they give all congressman a NRA rating, and if you fall below 90% they guarantee you will be primaried and lose your seat.
    The NRA is like the pro life movement in that if Republican candidates aren't seen as being on the right side of those issues, they can't win elections.
    It's not about campaign donations, it's about ideology and the GOP base.

BTW most cops don't want all guns banned, but they don't want criminals with military style weapons on the street either.
    You'd be hard pressed to find a cop who wants all handguns banned.

Common sense restrictions and regulations for gun ownership?? Yes.

7. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Except the dnc ain't arguing for ridiculous laws just so a handful of people can continue to get rich

8. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

This is a tough issue all the way around. As a responsible gun owner myself (for family protection, including our livestock, and protection from wildlife) I do keep a close eye on challenges to the 2nd amendment. I agree with Bliss to an extent that some would like to use these school shootings as the basis for an all out ban on the 2nd amendment, that being said survey after survey, and study after study, show that the vast majority of Americans (including gun owners) want common sense gun reform, closing the private sale without documentation loophole, tighter restrictions on bump stocks and other modifications that can make semi auto weapons operate like fully automatic weapons, better screening for mental health issues, or prior violent behavior (spousal abuse ect.).

As far a schools, I agree with those that say there is a BIG difference between a licensed and firearm trained civilian (like the proposed armed teachers) and a fully trained and experienced LEO or military personnel. While arming teachers may have a positive affect of deterring possible mass shooters, it also opens up the possibility of more dangerous accidents like these http://abcnews.go.com/US/accidental...ed-teacher-resource-officer/story?id=53737703. To me, what makes sense is to have specially trained LEO's or military personnel (vets often have a hard time finding employment after returning from deployment, why not set up a federal program to put them in schools for security services, win/win solution there) placed in schools, with someone with actual combat training/experience, it would be far less likely for accidental shootings to occur and much more likely for a positive result if a deranged shooter did make attempt to shoot up a school.

Of course the main roadblock would be funding such a program, and there would be some outcry that such a plan would be "turning schools into prisons" but to me thats the best solution to a serious problem that just will not go away no matter how much we want it to. There are armed police officers at my kids private school, with a cop car parked very prominently in front of the school at all times, for me that is comforting, not "making the school a prison".

9. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Outstanding article from a veteran as to why arming teachers is a bad idea from his perspective...very informative as to what its like, and how people, even trained people can react or freeze, during a real firefight where life and death is on the line.

https://www.charlottefive.com/arming-teachers/

10. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

Holy shit you had something good to say about the DNC?

Pinning this post now

:D

11. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  12. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Interesting watch.
    But it is somewhat flawed, IMO.

First, they had a trained police officer to act as the gunman. Most gunmen are as inexperienced as their victims.
    The gunman in these examples repeatedly targeted only the person with the concealed weapon, who sat in the exact same seat.
    Even a gunman does not know exactly what will meet him behind the door when he barges in.

Second, to outfit each teen with an ill-fitting holster, and a baggy shirt - you have to admit it is a somewhat of a propaganda experiment. I'm pretty sure there could have been alternate outcome examples produced if it wasn't so slanted in favor of the gunman having the only advantage.

In a gun-zone, a gunman doesn't know who is packing and who isn't. He would likely bypass that school and head for a gun-free one. Even if he did not, bringing him down might occur much swifter.

13. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

This was a really good article, when put in perspective.

There is no doubt that fighting in combat and being shot at and shot, is the most stressful thing a human can be under. Keeping that in mind, the example that this veteran used invloved multiple gunman firing from all sorts of hidden directions. Normally, it's one gunman in schools.

TBH, I don't think that also arming teachers is the only answer, nor even THE answer, however, I think it's something that can be considered for those that want to partake. It's not for everyone and it shouldn't be.

Some schools can have police officers, some can have security guards, some can just have signs of a gun-free sign, or some can have armed teachers. But banning guns is a pipe dream of a solution.

Finally, I think in a school shooting situation, when a teacher locks that door and has his/her children hiding, I think she/he would feel so much more safer knowing they had a firearm if that punk came through the door.

At least there would be a semblance of defense, instead of watching a gunman come in and mow everybody down.

Very interesting read, though.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  14. The Dark King

But Parkland had an armed guard and the piece of shit knew that and still went in and shot up the place. And again everyone has their Rambo fantasy where they think it's going to be like a movie when in reality military personnel have to train for months experiencing what its like to have live rounds shot around them before theyre ready for engagement. The same LEO at Parkland good guy with a gun didn't engage once dude opened fire. This ain't a game everyone is hyped to shoot but no one wants to be shot at. This really ain't hard we banned these types of weapons at the beginning of the century and mass shootings went down tremendously. We have data to support the banning of this particular gun or at the very least heavily regulate it. So insane this is a debate

15. DudeNY12

Agreed! I think most of us have no issue with the 2nd Amendment in general, but talk about gun control, and they hear... "They're trying to take our guns away"

16. DudeNY12

Oh... How could I forget about one of their latest reasoning against gun control... That the criminals would still break existing and any future gun laws, so there's not need for further gun control. With that rationale... why have any laws at all? We have laws against murder, robbery, auto theft, kidnapping and so on, but unfortunately (and obviously) these crimes still being committed.

Lets call it what it is. A pathetic case of reaching knowing they have no reasonable excuse to oppose common sense gun control.

17. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Totally agree with this post.

Close the private sale loophole.
    Tighter restrictions on bump stocks and other related mods.
    Better screening for mental health issues etc.

I'm all for hiring veterans as guards in the schools. It follows the same logic of having protection in your home.

18. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

That's like saying you shouldn't own a gun because criminals still attack the home of gun owners...lol.

How did you get "Rambo fantasy" out of hiring guys that actually served protecting the country??

If you are responding specifically to blister, nevermind

19. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

So we can put people in jail when they break the laws, just like we already do when people shoot up schools.

20. The Dark King

Specifically responding to Bliss