Random Political comments...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Bliss, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

When a Business closes, it means it's no longer profitable where it performs, yeah?Walmart still operate 600 Sams Clubs.
    Look to find out why, before begrudging the closures.

....Thump, l'm going to offer you $2600 more to do the exact same job you're doing now. Do you want it?
    Because you can complain and decline it, or accept it and figure out which bills you want to put it towards.
    Those extra $'s difference alone can mean the world to some people.

2. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

I've had 16 jobs in my life, of all the jobs I've had I've never seen a job make as much money and have as many poor employees as Walmart. Walmart is one of the most profitable businesses in the history of the world, so excuse me if I don't roll out the cake and balloons because they raise their base pay from far below a living wage to slightly higher, (but still far below) a living wage.

3. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Interesting. I hear Amazon has as many poor employees and work their employees like dogs.

16 jobs? You must be an old head
    (...cause if you aren't..lol :p )

4. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

I'm so sick of people trying to pretend as if when a company creates jobs its a charity. IT'S CALLED CAPITAL INVESTMENT. You aren't people you are capital to be exploited for the purpose of getting more capital. There are no favors being done here.

5. DudeNY12

DudeNY12 Well-Known Member

Exactly, and of course when that bottom line (and dividend payments) isn't looking rosy enough... That capital will be shown the door with the quickness.

6. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

So do you work for a company, or nah?

7. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Have you ever run a business?

8. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

9. DudeNY12

You're right. However, if I did... I would strive to be more like Costco, and run hard to never be like WalMart

10. The Dark King

Sure do but I'm also vested as well as run other interests on the side. What does that have to do with what I said though?

11. The Dark King

Or the container store. Why do people just accept that evil is the only way we can do things? You don't have to destroy the earth and destroy people to turn a profit.

12. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Well, maybe that's why they closed 63 Sams Clubs..maybe Costco is out-performing them.

13. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

"Destroy the earth...evil.."

Do you wear fur, do you eat meat? Drink milk? Use electronics?
    You then are complicit in destroying the earth via factory-farming and slaughterhouses, and help exploit people for cheap electronics. (You wanting to drive a Tesla is virtue-signaling at best. Lol)

14. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Well I feel that if you stopped making a profit for your company, you would understand why they would get rid of you. By the same token I think your clients would also do the same to you if you stopped performing for their portfolio of Bitcoin and stocks, etc.
    Would you not do the same if you ran a company?

15. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

I'm like the Berners/Stein-Bots now; should've picked a better candidate

16. The Dark King

Well that's the thing its not about making a profit its about how much profit. They reduce labor in order to get the most profit possible not just a profit period. So its the difference between a 100 dollar return verses150. Ill gladly take 75 dollars profit if it means thousands aren't left without a job. Its rarely ever zero sum. I also wouldn't use my already considerable fortune to lobby and get more money I don't need at the expense of others. Its gross.

17. The Dark King

I eat locally farmed food. Most of my electronics are used or refurbished because I ain't dumb enough to 1k for a phone that's only 3 mbs better than my current phone. But I get where you're going. I just don't demand people be perfect in all other areas before addressing a particular problem. We can walk and chew gum at the same time.

18. DudeNY12

Maybe, but I'm not talking about profit margin. Costco is known to be a great company that compensates and treat their employees well, unlike Walmart. I'm a longtime Costco member, and I'm happy to shop there for the bargains as well as knowing they treat their employees well. That's why they don't have high turnover (which also impacts the bottom line) like Walmart and many other retail outfits.

19. DudeNY12

Agreed! It's nothing but greed.

I know of an employer in this area who had two occasions in which they made employee-friendly decisions to get through a fiscal crisis. One year they didn't give cost of living increases to avoid having to layoff some of their staff. Another time they withheld annual increases to senior management so that they could still give increases to staff.

20. bodhesatva

bodhesatva Well-Known Member

Oprah also helped bring Dr Oz and Dr Phil to the limelight -- "helped" might not even be the right word, those men wouldn't have their shows if it weren't for her -- and both, in my opinion, are cranks. She also helped prop up Jenny McCarthy's Anti-Vaccine crusade, which as a nurse let me tell you drives me absolutely crazy because real children die without vaccines.

She's sort of a feel-good heart-warming person who insists on feel-good heart-warminess even when it's not appropriate. Works as a television personality, not so great as a purveyor of science (or, potentially, politics).