Random Conversation 2.0

Discussion in 'Conversations Between White Women and Black Men' started by Bookworm616, Oct 7, 2011.

1. meowkittenmeow

meowkittenmeow Well-Known Member

What I have learned in my travels is that there are a solid number of times where being treated as a “black foreigner” in another country is better than being treated as a “black man” in the U.S.

2. K

K Well-Known Member

heartbreaking

3. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Most definitely

Europe is on my radar but after a while I just get tired of seeing the same pattern in human thought period. I pick up on patterns easily, that's both a gift and curse. Also when you look at history there is the same old tiring patterns that emerge. Ridiculous assumptions.

I enjoy interacting with folks but I just need it to be on a voluntary basis for every aspect of it every single time except for getting groceries. If getting groceries is the only time I'm actually required to interact with folks, I consider that ideal. Just to be retired from it all even investing and only working in my hobby shop for fun. That's the goal and I'm willing to straight up bust my ass to get there.

4. DJG87

DJG87 Well-Known Member

Never had a problem in any of the countries I’ve been to. Always been shown the upmost respect. Here however... I love America & what it should stand for but as a black man in the military the casual racism is very real.

5. tp480

tp480 Well-Known Member

I concur with that statement.

6. K

K Well-Known Member

like the new avatar!

7. meowkittenmeow

It’s really only heartbreaking when you can’t travel. After a vaccine is made, I will probably just travel for a few years.

8. meowkittenmeow

I ran into a lot of blatant racism during my military career. But, that’s life.

9. meowkittenmeow

10. Tamstrong

Tamstrong Administrator Staff Member

Property taxes are a bitch, and so is the appraiser who decided to increase mine. Damn, I was enjoying sitting outside and browsing on my laptop and realized I hadn't checked the mail. I was hoping the bra I ordered would be in there, but no, it had to be a friggin' tax appraisal. smh

11. meowkittenmeow

Disabled veteran property tax exemptions can be nice depending on the state. California only exempts if you make very little money and I think the first 200,000 is exempt. It’s weird for that state.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  12. JordanC

JordanC Well-Known Member

I hear you mine went up last time. Sadly. Our city joined a district fire protection to ..cough...save money. Now there is a $300 charge for fire protection on my property tax. After they said it would be cheaper to join their district. Being a single property owner is more scary when people throw in extra amounts to pay.

13. Tamstrong

Tamstrong Administrator Staff Member

It sucks. It's frustrating when their big "money saving" ideas bite us in the butt. Indeed it is, and it seems to get scarier all the time.

14. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Wait is that a private fire Department?

15. JordanC

No sadly it was previously our city only. Now it is multiple cities around me. They call themselves SSFD. South Suburban Fire District. My city is like 50,000 people.

16. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Jesus smh

17. JordanC

I know that's only $25 a month but it could be groceries or gas instead.

18. K

K Well-Known Member

Our Police Cheif was talking about the riots here and that the demonstrations were very different and it was clearly a group coming in and causing the problems. We have frequent demonstrations at the capital (and other areas). He said the group prompting the destruction was very well organized, very calculated, and different. All who were arrested were from out of the area. They found pallets that were brought in with bricks and rocks (Like Meow said). When the police were going after the individuals their group would surround them and move the suspects into the crowd.

My son's friends were out cleaning up the mess during the days this weekend and they got most of the mess cleaned up and then had a calm vigil with people speaking, chanting, etc. Then some others came in and things got out of hand some of them jumped on the freeway and it was all shut down. We watched it all unfold in 5 minutes, it was very quick and definitely not something that evolved from anger building up from a protest. The "regular" protestors had been cleaning up the destruction from the idiots from the night before and working on the vigil all day (bringing out food, speakers, etc) As the others came in and started the chaos the regular protests were trying to stop them.

It really bothers me that they are throwing all the protestors in the same group. It's not the same.

19. JordanC

Focusing on the riots is the media and people trying to change the narrative away from racism and police killing black men and women. It just a side distraction away from the fact that nothing is being done by this administration about it in general nor MN about this particular killing. Don't let people distract you from the real problem by fake incense about rioting and looting.

20. K

K Well-Known Member

There is no distracting any of our groups from what the real issues are. I'm simply stating what happened. We will continue to do what we do to keep bringing the focus back to where it needs to be.