Random Conversation 2.0

Discussion in 'Conversations Between White Women and Black Men' started by Bookworm616, Oct 7, 2011.

1. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

There is no pm on here.

2. Tamstrong

Tamstrong Administrator Staff Member

Hello, UKV.

The PM function doesn't work. If there is someone you'd like to send a message to, check his profile for contact information and use that if it's available. You can also put your own contact info in your profile (if you haven't already).

The best place to get started as a new member is by reading the Basic Guidelines for the site:

http://www.whitewomenblackmen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4664

After getting familiar with the guidelines, introduce yourself by making a thread here (skip this step if you're just looking to meet someone because personal ads aren't to be placed on the forum):

http://www.whitewomenblackmen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=60

If you're looking for a date, hookup, or to place a similar personal ad (people with trashy BBC or IR fetishes or disgusting 'hot wife'/cuckold types need to take their search for that crap there as well), go here:

http://www.whitewomenblackmen.com/personals.php

Other than that, just take the time to get familiar with the layout of the site. Read through the threads to get a feel for the people and to see what topics have been posted. Then just jump in and join the conversations or start some of your own. :)

3. Tamstrong

There are too many posts to dig through to quote, but I don't get the thrill of an expensive engagement ring or the need to spend that kind of money on it either. I also don't get what's so great about fancy, expensive weddings.

It could be because I'm not really much of a jewelry person, but to me it's a waste of good money. IMO, simpler is better in regards to rings, and big money is something better invested in a home or something else toward building a future with someone.

Unless they're doing it to show off (which is lame), I'm not knocking couples who are into the whole expensive rings/weddings kind of thing. Different strokes for different folks, so if that's what they like, more power to 'em.

4. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

It's the whole fairy tale/fantasy aspect of it. We didn't do the fancy engagement ring or wedding when we got married because my wife wanted to be able to have the nice house more than she wanted the big ring and wedding. And she's the kind of woman who has always loved that kind of stuff and wanted to have it when she got married.

5. Tamstrong

Yeah, I know a lot of women who love that fairy tale aspect, and there's nothing wrong with that. I've just never been one of them. Maybe that just means I'm weird...at least that's what a lot of people have told me regarding that kind of thing. lol

I've been to some lovely "fancy" weddings, but it's never been anything I've wanted for myself. Not only does spending that kind of money on a wedding seem crazy to me, the diamond engagement ring & fancy white dress has never had any appeal for me. The realness of two people coming together as one has always been the more impressive & beautiful to me than the fairy tale.

6. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

I'm on the fence about engagement rings but weddings really seem like a waste. The money would be better spent on the honeymoon.

7. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

In some ways I think the whole fancy engagement ring /wedding deal is akin to the love of and desire by some women to have kids. My wife also is one of those types as well. She always wanted kids from a very early age and was always doing babysitting or some such as a teen because she liked being around kids and she initially went to collage with the intention of becoming a teacher. She's still fascinated by all things wedding & baby related even after going through both herself. Now that's weird to me...:p

8. FG

FG Well-Known Member

We can not forget that this is also a culture thing. Back home, an engagement ring is a plain gold band for both, with date and name on the inside. Big wedding are very rare. Weddings are usually intimate affairs, and much less money spent on it compared to here... Blingy stuff, big cars etc is not in our culture it's rather frowned upon generally to show off money in any way.

9. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

True. But some us have learned to be practical. Not enough of us however it seems. :)

10. FG

FG Well-Known Member

For me, I think it's a combination of both being bright I up in a culture that really don't focus on big rings and weddings, and being practical. I just don't get either, never have. I rather spend the money on house, retirement, investments and travel than on a big, expensive ring/wedding. I never dreamt of a big wedding, even as a little child but I was a tomboy anyways.

Also, before I got into big pharma, I couldn't wear jewelry at work anyways because working as a scientist, you will sooner or later ruin your ring or collect lab stuff in it, and you wear latex gloves anyways.

11. Tamstrong

As long as you and your future Mrs. are on the same page, it's all good. There's all kinds of things I'd rather spend money on.

A good friend of mine used to say she always wanted a "big ass rock", which she eventually got. She also had a $70,000 wedding. She's one of the people who think I'm crazy for not wanting those things for myself. lol

It could be. Both seem to be a pretty common fascination for a lot of women. When I was younger, I did picture myself married & having children (not that it worked out that way), but my vision of those things wasn't the most common version. I think the whole line of thinking is on the weird for most men. lol :p

It's very much a cultural thing, and it's also a racket. I like the way they view it & do it where you're from. Simple & intimate is much more appealing to me than all the show off crap. :smt023

12. FG

FG Well-Known Member

70k on a wedding is down right irresponsible! I had a coworker who spent that on her daghters wedding a few years ago. I thought she was insane.in agree, a small intimate affair seems more memorable and appropriate anyhow.if I would have married, it would have been a few family/friends on a beautiful beech or something.

13. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

Especially if the marriage ends up in divorce!

14. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

70,000 for a wedding is insane. I can't imagine how the money made any difference. Can't even remember who got married at the last wedding I went to. What a waste of money.

15. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

This conversation prompted me to talk to my gf about her thoughts about engagement rings.
    I told her I don't get it and really don't like the idea of spending thousands of dollars on jewelry. Well needless to say that shit did not go over well in the Knight household lol.
    All she kept saying but its tradition its tradition. I would have been more open if she simply said it's just something she wanted but just saying it's tradition is lame. She made it clear no ring, no marriage. I don't want this to be a deal breaker but am I wrong for favoring financial responsibility. What if I lose my job then that's thousands of dollars that could have been spent on food and living expenses. It's not like a car that has utility or at the very least a vacation where its for both of us. I'm beginning to see this whole engagement ring thing is incredibly selfish on the female's part because there will never come a time where a woman can reciprocate in the same way. I seriously don't get it.

16. The Dark King

70k would be better spent on something I can live in and/or drive at least there is some type of utility. My God people are just weird.

17. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

I see where you coming from when you say it would have been better if she said it was just something that she wanted. Don't really see why it should be a deal breaker tho. If you did lose your job then wouldn't she have your back? If not then that should be the deal breaker.

18. The Dark King

I have no doubt she would, I just like to think ahead financially. Things are good today but doesn't mean they always will be and I think more about need than want. Even shit I want has some utility, like that dream machine the Tesla S. Yeah its a high ass price tag but you spend about 300 to 400 bucks on energy and it can't be charged at home. At least for that high price tag I save in other ways. I just don't get why jewelry means so damn much, it makes no sense. I'd rather her push for something expensive that makes sense and that we both get to use. I'd rather write a check to kill her student loans than the ring thing.

19. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Lol@ it makes no sense. You right about that. I guess the difference is that I don't have the expectation of logic in relationships. (or when dealing with people at all for that matter.) I just see an area where I can compromise and another area where I cant, but Im no expert in the matter.

20. The Dark King

That's actually a very insightful way to look at things.