NFL bows to the POTUS

Discussion in 'Sports' started by DudeNY12, May 24, 2018.

1. DudeNY12

DudeNY12 Well-Known Member

I'm totally disgusted that the NFL basically caved to this racist POTUS. I really hope the players/union will get together and challenge the owners.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23593960/nfl-hold-formal-anthem-policy-vote

The NFL did not take a roll call vote when it passed the new anthem resolution taking effect this season, league spokesman Brian McCarthy confirmed Thursday.

Instead, they called for a show of hands to test support, which came back with zero nays -- an unofficial process that is often used, according to McCarthy.

"That was considered a vote," he said.

Sources tell ESPN's Seth Wickersham that league officials wanted to make sure that the resolution would not fail, and so after hours of debate they called for the show of hands. The informal nature of it surprised some in the room.

Not taking an official tally is atypical for a major resolution.

The new national anthem policy requires players to stand if they are on the field during the performance but gives them the option to remain in the locker room if they prefer. The policy subjects teams to a fine if a player or other team personnel do not show respect for the anthem. That includes any attempt to sit or kneel, as dozens of players have done during the past two seasons to protest racial inequality and police brutality.

Teams will also have the option to fine any team personnel, including players.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said the vote was "unanimous" among owners, although San Francisco 49ers owner Jed York said he abstained. Sources told Wickersham that Oakland Raidersowner Mark Davis also abstained from voting, but the NFL said that was not true.

Wednesday's decision drew praise from President Donald Trump, who told "Fox & Friends" that the NFL was "doing the right thing."

The anthem policy will be part of the NFL's game operations manual and thus not subject to collective bargaining. The NFL Players Association said in a statement that it will review the policy and "challenge any aspect" that is inconsistent with the CBA.

ESPN's Kevin Seifert and Dan Graziano contributed to this report.

2. RaiderLL

RaiderLL Well-Known Member

I'm so disgusted with this whole thing. Somethings gotta give. It feels like it's getting harder and harder to find even glimmers of justice in this country. So frustrating.

3. DudeNY12

DudeNY12 Well-Known Member

Agreed! It's bad enough to be subjected to such a racist POTUS, but this thing is yet another attempt to silence anyone (especially those with a platform) who speak out against injustices.

I always look forward to football season, but I really hope the players (and their union) will fight this as a united force. Kaepernick basically sacrificed himself, and others need to join him in fighting this horrible decision.