Name the last three books you have read...

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Sir Nose, May 12, 2009.

1. Bookworm616

Bookworm616 Well-Known Member

And they actually just moved that bus in like 2020. I can't believe it took them that long to move it.

I watched the movie a few years ago. For the most part, it was a good movie, though I found myself fast forwarding over some stuff because it seemed a bit longer than it needed to be.

The book is amazing. He really delves deep into McCandless's life. You get a real sense of who he was and how he may be came to his decision to cut his family out of his life. Jon Krakauer really did his research into McCandless. And the version I read had an update on what he thought ended up killing him. I mean, this update is from like 2013 or something, so even though he wrote the original article and book not long after he passed, Jon was still trying to solve the mystery like almost 20 years later. That's the affect this kid's life had on the author.

And I have to say, I felt more strongly about McCandless by reading the book moreso than the movie. Though Emil Hirsch did a great job playing him, Jon Krakauer did a phenomenal job bringing him to life. Reading that book really got me into reading more of Krakauer's books. And I cried multiple times reading the book.

I highly recommend this book (and Into Thin Air) especially if you loved the movie.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. beccaomecca

beccaomecca Well-Known Member

Man Emil killed it playing McCandless huh!! I would agree with you, there were definitely periods of the movie feeling like it was stretched out. Yeahhh that’s right! It’s crazy that it took that long to be removed, although it would have been pretty cool to see and feel where it all tragically came to an end. I just found myself pissed off watching the movie and thinking damn how could he have come all this way for end to end like this. And then to think if he had a decent childhood he would most likely still be here today :( I wondered if they carried any responsibility for his death. I did hear that a few years later another guy died in a similar fashion, lost in the wilderness. It’s funny when I was watching the movie I was thinking man this dude has to be a crazy nature loving Aquarius! We long to be lost and disconnected from people a lot of the time, then when they showed his birth date at the end it tripped me out because we share the same birth date although I’m 86 and he was 68. The movie really affected me, it’s a wonderful thing to feel moved from a movie, but this one was just so FREAKING sad, it cut me up seeing how happy he was in the adversity of all he’d suffered through, he still shared a positive message to the world. I’ve always been a huge fan of Sean Penn too, Dead Man Walking is someone one of my favourite movies.
    Now I really feel intrigued that you say that the book is better than the movie. I’ll definitely have to give the book a read :) - thank you :) i know I’m going to cry all over again no matter how hard I try not to lol.

The only two movies I’ve cried in is this one and Beaches haha my best friend made me watch it and I literally had to leave the room (in hope she wouldn’t pause the movie) and balled my eyes out haha!

Nice, that’s cool as that you’ve enjoyed other books from Krakauer, sounds like an author I’ll have to get into, although I have four books on the go right now. I’m terrible!!!

Really appreciate your feedback:)

3. Tamstrong

Tamstrong Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Bookworm616

Well, when you finish those four books, Into the Wild will be waiting for you. :)

The book, more than the movie, had an effect on me that I never expected. The story of Chris McCandless is both incredibly inspiring and senselessly tragic. You really get an understanding, through the book, how he just shot himself in the foot before he even did his little "into the wild" journey. Had he just had a map of the area, I'm confident he would be alive today and we'd never know of his existence.

Being in a dead-end job and having to work two jobs to exist, his story has a romantic and inspiring charm to it. His story has stuck with me still, because I admire his courage in doing what he did and just reading of his adventures makes you realize just how much he lived in his short 24? years. He saw more of the country, in the 2ish years he wandered, than most people do in their lifetimes.

And it's amazing the impact he had on everyone he came into contact with. It's a shame his life ended the way it did.

5. beccaomecca

Haha! Right! So realistically I won’t be reading into the wild until 2050 haha! You sound like a writer yourself :)

I absolutely agree with you, I think that’s why I felt a lot of frustration during the movie because it was like how could you embark upon such a dangerous journey ill prepared! There were so many what ifs, if he’d just gone with the old man I think he’d still be here too, he showed us before Covid showed us the real importance of life and living not just existing.

I feel like I’m usually more touched by books than movies, I guess because of my own interpretation of how characters etc look, I don’t tend to enjoy watching the movie and reading the book because they’re bound to not be exact.

Yes you’re right I think you wouldn’t be human if you weren’t impacted by the book or movie, I wasn’t expecting to be as effected as I was lol

Do you know of any other books that are similar in nature to into the wild?

6. Bookworm616

Well, you should read it before 2050! LOL.

I'm not much of a non-fiction reader, so I don't really have any suggestions other than "Into Thin Air" which is the book the movie "Everest" was based on. I had no idea until I read the book the author, Jon Krakauer, was actually ON that climb that was one of the worst Everest disasters. That is just crazy to me.

As for me being a writer, I've written a couple of screenplays (they didn't go anywhere) and I'm currently writing a book, though I'm in a bit of a writer's block right now. That is not my profession, but I'd love to make it my profession one day!

7. beccaomecca

Oh wow good on you, I’m sure you’ll one day have your books on the shelves :) I feel like you have some connection to Jon Krakauer seriously haha. It’s interesting … thank you for your suggestion that does sound like a great read :) I’ll give it a go once I get some of these other books out the way lol.

8. beccaomecca

DA2C0FFE-015A-41D2-978D-A52F462F947A.jpeg
    H is for Heroin gives a sad glimpse into the lives of those affected by the Opioid epidemic that has taken the nation hostage. The sobering verse and haunting images remind us all that the after effects of this drug fueled holocaust are lasting and permanent. Sadly, the book turned out to be a very real glimpse into the life of Nick's sister (Yo-Yo) who lost her life at a very young age.

ABC7D747-7177-4C98-B218-2EDE7FAC2A79.jpeg
    THE CELESTINE PROPHECY AN ADVENTURE An ancient manuscript has been found in Peru. Its contents: nine insights the human race is predicted to grasp as we enter an era of true spiritual awareness.

In this gripping adventure-tale, James Redfield offers a compelling vision of the new spiritual understanding that is emerging in human culture. You will instantly recognize the truth of the First Insight: in each of our lives occur mysterious coincidences-- sudden, unexplained events that, once interpreted correctly, serve to guide and direct our actions.

Join the adventure and let this synchronistic perception guide you through a daring search for the remaining insights. Each will be found in turn, and each will clarify how a growing link with the spiritual is relentlessly transforming human life.

Reading like a story of high adventure, but having the in-depth effect of a spiritual parable, THE CELESTINE PROPHECY will take you on a journey, that will lighten your soul, and connect you with a vision and an experience that is already changing the world. (Easily one of the best books I’ve read but you have to be open minded about it)

845D39C1-B6DD-4F52-B043-961D41A7CBF9.jpeg
    When disaster struck inspirational gurus Allan and Barbara Pease's lives, they turned to science to learn how to turn failure into ultimate success. They discovered new studies of the brain that show how you can reprogram your mindset, enabling you to see opportunities, not difficulties. In The Answer the Peases share their experiences with honesty and humour and show you how to make your life what you want it to be.

So if you want to improve your life but need help to make the first step to change The Answer will show you how to:

– Ask the right questions of yourself
    – Gain confidence to change a job, relationship or lifestyle
    – Decide what you want and establish a true course in life

In The Answer you will discover that changing your life starts with asking the right questions.

Attached Files:

9. Tamstrong

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

I was about to ask how & why you were able to read 3 more books so quickly, but then..duh.....:confused:

11. Tamstrong

LOL. Yep. Since I'm on summer break and with everything I'm dealing these days, it's been a good way to spend my time.

I've also been trying to find something watch on "TV" to mix it up, but after catching up on Stranger Things nothing else is really appealing to me right now. So, I just start another book. lol

12. Bookworm616

LOL! It does seem that way, doesn't it? I think it's just I started reading his books very recently and I'm loving his writing style. The reason I don't read much nonfiction is because the writing is so dry and it gets boring really quickly. Jon Krakauer writes his nonfiction more fiction-like and it's a style I'm really enjoying right now.

:)

13. beccaomecca

haha it sure does seem that way :-D it’s a beautiful thing! Oh yes I feel you on that hey, once you find a relatable writing style from an Author you’re hooked! I really like Paullina Simons I think she’s a great writer. I just suck with reading haha I love it but I’m old now and out of touch haha I think I need that app that turns text to audio haha!

14. Tamstrong

[​IMG]

They come for your children... and leave their own.

You know, the best thing about nightmares is that they’re not real. It’s all just in your head, and as soon as you wake up, pop!

It’s all gone. You’re safe.

It’s not like they could crawl out, creeping from your mind with long, slender fingers and milky yellow eyes sunken into heads with pointed horns bursting out.

That’d just be insane.

Daniel Tanner’s life is insane. A mysterious disease came to claim his son, seemingly pulling him into the grave with cold fingers named misery and hopelessness.

Now a stranger has come calling with an even stranger tale of monsters—horrible things that take children in the middle of the night and leave their own, things that crawled out of the faery tales our barbarous ancestors used to tell, things that they tried to warn us about.

We didn’t listen.

Because monsters aren’t real, are they? There’s no reason to fear the dark, no reason at all to believe the old tales about the creatures with a taste for human meat.

That would be insane… wouldn’t it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Tamstrong

[​IMG]

This is the most recent book of this series. It's an entertaining read so far.

[​IMG]

This was a story that needed to be told, but unfortunately I wasn't impressed with the way the author told it. I don't recommend it at all.

[​IMG]

I really enjoyed this book. I was hoping to find the next book in the series, but I haven't had any luck so far.

16. Tamstrong

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are all great reads. If you enjoy horror, give them a go.

17. Tamstrong

[​IMG]

Not bad.

[​IMG]

Meh.

[​IMG]

Nope.

18. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Jericho Porter was done. Out. Retired.
    Porter had managed the impossible: retiring from the Gatekeepers…alive. Now, he was ready to slow down and live life on his terms. He was finally free.

He was also mistaken.

When Malkah Hafeez, an ex-lover and fellow Gatekeeper, calls in a favor, he knows he should refuse. She saved his life once, right before betraying him, gifting him with two neutralizing bullets center mass and leaving him for dead. He knows the smart play is to cut his losses, walk away, and disappear.

He’s done it before; he can do it again.
    If he does, he dies.

Against every sense of self-preservation, he agrees to one more contract, joining Malkah’s elite team as she completes the erasure of a high value target. Outgunned and outmanned, Porter must risk it all, unleashing the fearsome power of the Gatekeepers once again.

In order to survive, he will have to step into his old world for one last dance with death.

[​IMG]

Go West, Prof Croft!

When my magical order assigns me to Grimstone, Colorado on a case, I’m in no hurry to pack my staff and spell books.

The outlaw county is a far cry from my academic calling in New York City. And I’m being paired with junior wizard James Wesson. A hustler, womanizer, and wannabe cowboy, he’s exactly why I prefer working alone.

But something sinister is snatching blondes on the full moon. The local werewolf gang? The six-hundred pound witch who runs the brothel? Or does the perp come from the mortal ranks of a population as strange as any supernatural I’ve encountered?

The only certainty is the lunar cycle, set to wax full in twenty-four hours—meaning we need to get cracking.

Can the wizard duo of Croft and Wesson blow open the case in time to save the next victim?

Or will our odd-couple act spell doom for Grimstone?

The-Law-A-Dresden-Files-Novella_-Dresden-Files.jpg

Not every danger comes in the form of a mega-threat like a Titan. Some predators are a lot cozier...more personal.

When one such creature threatens an independent tutor, Harry Dresden must shake off the blood and dirt of his most recent battles and rise to the occasion, even when it turns out that the new predator is far more dangerous and connected than first appearances would suggest.

Three entertaining reads. The first two are spin-offs for two different larger shared universe series. The third is a novella that takes place a few months after the events of the last full length Dresden Files novel. Good little Dresden appetizer until the next full length novel releases.

19. Tamstrong

[​IMG]

The story idea was okay, but it was a bit too predictable and too much like a plot for a movie on the Lifetime channel. The writing, mostly due the nightmare formatting and poor editing, was a mess. The author overused italics to emphasize crap that didn't even make sense most of the time. And every time the italics were used, there was NEVER a space before the next word! Sometimes the lack of spacing also included the word before as well. WTF?!?!? I won't be reading anything else by this author for damn sure.

[​IMG]

It was okay. It was a bit longwinded and sloppy, but I still got some entertainment out of it. It's like he was in a hurry when he wrote/edited this one. It's not as good as a lot of his stuff, but it's not his worst work either.

[​IMG]

Thank you for posting this one in your last post, Ra. I hadn't even realized he'd released it.

As usual, Jim Butcher wrote another good one.

20. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

But Susan Wiggs says Patricia Kay is a "master story teller". Is Susan Wiggs a writer herself & does she have the same writing style if so? o_O

Yeah, I didn't know he had something new out already until it showed up in my Kindle New Release Notices. Luckily I had just finished the Croft & Wesson book so was able to to get & read it when I saw it.