Name the last three books you have read...

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Sir Nose, May 12, 2009.

1. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

So if memory serves you should now have been introduced to the Fae (Summer Knight) & with these last 3 books, Shiro, Sanya & the Denarians, the White Court & hints at the Black Court Vampires & of course who Thomas Raith actually is.

2. Tamstrong

Tamstrong Administrator Staff Member

Yep, all of them and the Kemmlerites.

3. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Kinda forgot about them. Ivy the Archive & Kincaid, Mouse & Waldo Butters were also introduced over these 3 books as well? Certain characters I remember because they keep popping up over time.

4. Tamstrong

Yeah, Kemmler's bunch showed up in the last one I read. Yep, them too in addition to Lasciel, and more of the wardens. I'm looking forward to seeing who keeps popping up over the series.

5. Tamstrong

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Tamstrong

[​IMG]

It was pretty good for the most part—some plot twist I really appreciated. It was a bit over the top in some ways, but that isn't necessarily a negative with stories like these. Something that irked the hell out of me though, was the author using "lied" as the past tense of lie (as in lie down) multiple times in the book. smdh It made him sound like a moron. lol

[​IMG]

This one was okay, but the way the author executed the ending was weak. I liked the idea, but it was too half-assed and incomplete-feeling to me. The story had a lot of potential, but the flat ending made it feel like a waste of good reading time.

[​IMG]

It's a pretty good story. There were a few distracting editing mistakes, but overall it was a solid read.

7. Tamstrong

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

So you basically have only 4 books left in the series proper thus far (Cold Days, Skin Game, Peace Talks & Battle Ground ) plus the 2 short story collections (Side Jobs & Brief Cases) which features all the Dresden short stories that were either originally published in various sci-fi/fantasy anthology series over the years or were unreleased until now.

9. Tamstrong

Yep, and I'm about a third of the way through book 14. Hopefully I'll be finished with it this weekend.

10. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Golgotha, Book 4

[​IMG]

In AD 1119, a group of nine crusaders became known as the Poor Fellow-Soldiers of Christ and of the Temple of Solomon - a militant monastic order charged with protecting pilgrims and caravans traveling on the roads to and from the Holy Land. In time, the Knights Templar would grow in power and, ultimately, be laid low. But a small offshoot of the Templars endure and have returned to the order's original mission: to defend the roads of the world and guard those who travel on them.

Theirs is a secret line of knights: truckers, bikers, taxi hacks, state troopers, bus drivers, RV gypsies - any of the folks who live and work on the asphalt arteries of America. They call themselves the Brotherhood of the Wheel. Jimmy Aussapile is one such knight. He's driving a big rig down South when a promise to a ghostly hitchhiker sets him on a quest to find out the terrible truth behind a string of children gone missing all across the country. The road leads him to Lovina Hewitt, a skeptical Louisiana State Police investigator working the same case and, eventually, to a forgotten town that's not on any map - and to the secret behind the eerie Black-Eyed Kids said to prowl the highways.

[​IMG]

The eighth book of the bestselling Rivers of London series returns to the adventures of Peter Grant, detective and apprentice wizard, as he solves magical crimes in the city of London.

Peter Grant is facing fatherhood, and an uncertain future, with equal amounts of panic and enthusiasm. Rather than sit around, he takes a job with émigré Silicon Valley tech genius Terrence Skinner's brand new London start up—the Serious Cybernetics Company.

Drawn into the orbit of Old Street's famous 'silicon roundabout', Peter must learn how to blend in with people who are both civilians and geekier than he is. Compared to his last job, Peter thinks it should be a doddle. But magic is not finished with Mama Grant's favourite son.

Because Terrence Skinner has a secret hidden in the bowels of the SCC. A technology that stretches back to Ada Lovelace and Charles Babbage, and forward to the future of artificial intelligence. A secret that is just as magical as it technological—and just as dangerous.

All good reads. Will be checking out the next novels in the series, especially the Golgotha series.

11. Tamstrong

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Verdict on Harry's new status quo?

13. Tamstrong

Favorable for the most part. As usual, he's right where he needs to be, whether everyone else realizes it or not. lol

14. Tamstrong

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've thoroughly enjoyed the series and the short story collections related to it. Word is book #18 should be released sometime in 2022, and I'm looking forward to seeing what's next.

15. Tamstrong

[​IMG]

This is the prequel to the Stranger Things story about Eleven's mother. I enjoyed it.

[​IMG]

A friend of mine sent me this one. Since she's been bugging me about what I think I figured I'd get reading it over with so she'd shut up. Obviously this book is a satire for America's Next Top Model, which is a show I've been a fan of for a while. Like all reality TV, it's more about entertainment than actual reality. The book was okay. There were some funny parts, and some clear references to the things on the show that inspired the book. It's by no means a great novel, but some of it was entertaining.

[​IMG]

The idea itself had potential, but the author failed to achieve it. It was boring and soooo slooow. There were a few times I thought something was finally going to happen, but the moment fell flat every time. Someone called the author "Grand Master of Science Fiction", but there's no way it could be based on this book. I'm almost curious about his other work since it's supposed to be so great, but this book makes me feel like I'd probably be wasting my time.

16. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

That last book is clearly a product of the 1950's or 60's era. Most science fiction from that time is straight high concept with even higher levels of exposition. All the "classics" of that era are the ones that threw in a bit of action to set them apart from the rest of the bunch.

17. Tamstrong

That's very true; exposition is pretty much all it is. It's probably the reason the book was free. lol It's too bad they didn't know how to bring some of those concepts to life back in the day.

18. Tamstrong

[​IMG]
    It was a pretty good read. Being raised by a trucker who was also a biker, and growing up around his friends kind of made me feel like I knew some of the characters. They're typically seen in a negative light based on stereotypes (no doubt folks around here know how that is), so it's cool to see them shown in a more positive way. Of course there are some villains in the book or there'd be no story, but I like that the folks usually looked down upon were the ones to help save the day. As usual I also enjoyed all the weird and creepy stuff with monsters, magic, and the supernatural shit.

[​IMG]

I liked this one too. What's not to like about a killer clown cult, outlaw bikers, werewolves (and other were-creatures), and hobos though? So many things happening with the different characters until everything comes together toward the end, and the Brotherhood of the Wheel and other heroes doing their thing.

[​IMG]

This one was creepy, cringey, crazy, dark, and over the top, but I liked it. lol The beginning was the most cringey part, which made me question whether I really wanted to read it, but I pushed through. I enjoyed it, and the corny ending was pretty cool too.

I hope all my rambling made sense, because it feels like maybe it didn't. lol I'm too tired to proofread, so take it or leave it. Maybe I'll give enough damn tomorrow, but right now my tired ass is going to bed. :p

19. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

I just finished King of the Road last next. Was going to put it up as one of my next 3 books once I'm done with the book I'm currently reading.

I figured you'd like the killer clown cult. Though it was pretty interesting connecting the railways & hobo life/culture into the mix especially the railways being part of the "supernatural roadway" that the Brotherhood protects. Loved the reveal of who Emmett was.

20. Tamstrong

I didn't figure it's take you long to get around to the second one. I liked that connection and finding out who Emmett was as well. I'm looking forward to whatever happens next, but I haven't taken the time to see when/if part three is in the works yet.