Name the last three books you have read...

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Sir Nose, May 12, 2009.

1. Tamstrong

Tamstrong Administrator Staff Member

2. 4north1side2

4north1side2 Well-Known Member

3. Tamstrong

4. Tamstrong

5. CAkicker

CAkicker Well-Known Member

Wow Tam, How do you find the time to read all those books? And so fast too?

6. Tamstrong

It just depends. I go through moods where all I want to do is read, and I've been in that mood for a while. Rather than spending a lot of time watching TV or movies, I use that time to read these days. I read while I'm eating/taking breaks at work, while sitting in the waiting room for appointments, or whenever I have a spare moment. I always have a book with me. I've always been a fast reader, especially if I'm enjoying the book. Reading a lot is also a good stress reliever, which helps keep me sane.

7. Tamstrong

8. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

I meant to ask last time I was in this thread your verdict on this and did you see the movie?

9. Tamstrong

The book was great. I recommend reading it if you haven't. I waited to watch the movie until I'd read the book, and I actually watched the movie yesterday. The book, as in most cases, was way better than the movie. The movie was okay, but it wasn't worthy of the Oscar it won in my opinion. It just didn't live up to the hype. They did do a good job with set design though. If you've watched it, what did you think?

10. Tamstrong

11. Tamstrong

This one was identified as horror, but it's actually a thriller/action book:

[​IMG]

First book in a thriller/crime series. My only complaint was the number of mistakes in the book distracting me. The story flowed pretty well otherwise though:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Tamstrong

13. Tamstrong

14. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Have you watched any of the series and if so thoughts compared to what was in the novel?

15. Tamstrong

No, I haven't watched any of it yet. I wanted to read the book first, They had a good deal on the 10th anniversary edition, so I finally bought it. The book is good, and I'm hoping the show won't disappoint. I'm not in any hurry to watch it though, mostly because I'm cheap frugal and don't want to spend any extra money on streaming right now. :p Ricky whittle looks a lot better bald though; he looked kinda goofy before he shaved his head.

Have you read and/or watched yet? What do you think of the book vs show?

16. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

I've watched the two seasons that have come out thus far but haven't read the novel. I've known about the novel and who Shadow Moon is for years before the talk of the series came about due to other people I'm aquainted with reading it, the short stories which feature Shadow that take place after the novel as well as Mr. Nancy's story in Anasi Boys.

The show is a good character piece IMO although the 2nd season seemed to stray a bit from the main plot probably due to all of the behind the scenes drama & shake-ups that took place between seasons. The various mythologies are great especially if you actually are familiar with some of them.

17. Tamstrong

Sounds like it's worth watching. The mythologies are the biggest draw for me. I'll probably watch it when I have some down time, maybe on one of the holiday breaks from work. I haven't read Anasi Boys yet, but I did "borrow" it from Amazon Prime recently and will be reading it soon.

18. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Also meant to ask since you're into Gaiman ,did you get into his Sandman series back when he was doing it for DC/Vertigo? Netflix has a series in the works for that particular property of his.

19. Tamstrong

No. It's another series I haven't gotten around to yet. I also hadn't heard about it until a few years ago. A friend who owns the hardcover set said he'd let me borrow them sometime, but he's yet to hand them over. I guess I need to remind him since it's been a good while since he offered. I actually forgot all about them, so I'm sure he did too. Sounds like another show to add to my growing list. Thanks for the info.

20. Tamstrong

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This one was disappointing.

[​IMG]