Movies with BM/WW Couples

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Kid Rasta, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Elklodge

Elklodge Well-Known Member

I mean the movie is now the front runner for best animated film, has a rare and mega coveted A+ score from exit polls and is the biggest opening weekend of any animated movie opening in December. It's gonna do super well and play during Christmas, honestly it is outperforming what Sony expected so this is nothing but good news.

2. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

All of that is great news. But I'd heard that projections we're in the $40 million range, and it only hit $35 million. Maybe my info is bad. Either way I loved the movie and want more.

BTW @Elklodge, who's that in your avatar pic? For some reason she's extra distracting today lol

3. Elklodge

Denise Milani is her name possibly my favorite theres a thread for her in the men's locker room https://whitewomenblackmen.com/forum/threads/the-one-and-only-denise-milani.8291/

4. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

5. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

I just saw this headline title on Collider.com's official YouTube channel:

http://collider.com/spider-verse-2-miles-morales-spider-gwen-movie-talk/

I have no idea why @darkcurry disagrees with me it's an agenda. I'm for it, but I can admit it's an agenda.

6. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

7. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

No I do believe it is an agenda. I think studios now want to do it because of course money, but there are those in hollywood that want to actually bring diversity into art. This is one of the most TABOO relationships in at least this country's and London's history. So whatever their agenda is will backfire and the only thing they'll get out of it is the money. Diversity and bm/ww IR is on the rise in art. And we haven't even scratched the surface.

8. darkcurry

New Photos For The Movie Bird Box
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. meowkittenmeow

meowkittenmeow Well-Known Member

I'm really looking forward to this. That and the next season of The OA.

10. darkcurry

What's The OA?

11. ColiBreh1

We were have a discussion a couple weeks ago about why are we getting so much IR pushed in TV, films, & ads nowadays. @darkcurry seems to genuinely believe Hollywood is just pushing diversity. I on the other hand knows this is racist liberal Hollywood we're talking about, they're obviously pushing an agenda.

12. Elklodge

Even if it's an agenda at least it's one I can get behind. Hollywood has had brothas and sistas mixing since it's inception. So might as well now make movies that represent the changing landscape. Gwen x Miles are a cute couple, excited they're already diving in head first to make them an established couple.
    I mean the freaking movie ENDS with Gwen basically sending Miles a trans-dimensional "You up?" message lol. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Netflix series, kinda metaphysical in tone.

13. darkcurry

I said it's a mixture of both. I don't believe everybody coming with more diversity are on this racist liberal agenda. There are some that are genuine. But as @Elklodge pointed out it's one agenda we can get behind. Just stay on your toes and as long as the liberal party keeps letting their racist rhetoric slip in their tweets and speeches and double standards like the celebs who have gotten away with blackface it's going to make it tough on them. That's why I love the support Kevin Hart and Kyler Murray got when they really tried them.

But they're making black men look good. I just got done telling @qaz1 about All About Nina and how even though it's feminist type of movie they just made the brotha out to be not only the lover, but the SAVIOR of the troubled white woman. @RicardoCooper would like that. lol.

14. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

I feel like I missed something. What is the liberal Hollywood agenda when it comes to IR?

And I do think Kevin Hart got a raw deal. But I simply cannot support Kyler Murray, because Sooners suck and Tua was robbed! :p Hook em!

15. Tsharp99

Tsharp99 Active Member

I just saw "Bird Box" last night, it drops on Netflix Friday. Sandra Bullock and Travante Rhodes are a couple in it. It's sort of like "A Quite Place" in reverse. If you've seen "A Quiet Place" you'll know what I mean.

16. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

This actually reminds me, how did Common come off looking in that movie he did with Laura Dern (The Tale)? Was he actually the admirable black love interest in TWO movies??? Lol

17. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

How'd the relationship go, since we're on the subject lol?

18. Tsharp99

Tsharp99 Active Member

Not to give anything away, it was a loving relationship between two people and race wasn't mentioned or inferred.

19. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

I'm iffy on this film. I read the book and found it to be spectacular and very dark. The only downside is that despite the story taking place in Michigan, I believe in a suburb of Detroit, all the characters in the book were white with the possible lone exception of Olivia who was possibly Hispanic. Possibly. I realize the Detroit area can be kind of segregated but...come on (I believe this movie version takes place in California). Anyway the casting of this film has been surprising. There are more characters stuck in the house than in the book it seems. A few of these characters are of different races, including the role Trevante Rhodes plays. His character and Sandra's don't have a romantic relationship in the book (although they seem to have an attraction); they never got a chance for it to blossom before certain events shook things up. And Sandra's character is in her early 20s in the novel. Its a real tragic story and this film seems headed in some very different directions.

That said the scrip made changes which included this romance. But Trevante wouldn't have ever been chosen if Sandra Bullock didn't agree to it. She appeared to be the fully onboard after the white female director, whom I think is non-American, who suggested Rhoades for the the role. Here are some quotes from Sandra:

“You write this human being and in the time of the big #MeToo thing, you get to experience a glorious man that I go, ‘That’s the man I want. That’s the father that I would want my children to have. That’s the kind of representation that exists in a lot of places but we just don’t see it in films.’ And here it was written. I wanted more of a love story, Susanne wanted more of a love story. I missed love stories, you know? So she says, ‘I want you to meet Trevante’ and I’m like, ‘Ok.'”

more

We were all in Moonlight heaven at that time and we sat down… I remember where he sat, I remember how he looked, and it’s how he is right now. You know, it’s a human being that hears you, who respects you, you felt his connection to the ground and to the greater. There was insight. There was kindness. I mean, the talent was already there, we saw that, but then you meet this human being and… it’s the movies. You want your leading man to be the leading man that you want to just ride off into the sunset with. You also want that leading man to be someone you trust with your children.”

and this....

Sandra says she was so sure about having Trevante Rhodes playing her leading man that she threatened not to to do the project if he wasn’t hired.

“I walked away and I said, ‘If we don’t cast him, if we don’t make this deal, I’m just gonna…’ I was very dramatic,” said Sandra Bullock. “I said very dramatic things. But to me, I said this is the story I want to tell and I want this human being to be my ride or die in this process.”

As far as the on-set dynamic, Sandra says it’s all love working with the Moonlight star.

“We work really really well together. There’s an unsaid ping pong match that happens when you just connect with somebody. It’s just nice. He’s a good human being who happens to have a wicked 12-pack!”

I'e posted maybe a half dozen times before about examples of white women with clout either as leading ladies, directors or screen writers have been responsible for the casting of black actors as their main co-star and/or onscreen love interests. In the cases not involving white women as screenwriters, these casting decisions of black actors were made despite black men not initially being envisioned for the roles. White women take some grief on this very site at times when it comes to onscreen diversity but when in power they do a better job of projecting black men as suitable love interests for a white female star than black men or women in similar positions ever do. Hell, white guys do a better job at this too.

I recall the shit that Bullock took on these boards as an actress who was a mainstream movie version of a dodger because of some flimsy evidence that she avoided starring opposite black men as love interests. Hmmmm. Either she "evolved" or the people making those assertions were as foolish as I called them out for all those years ago.

20. ColiBreh1

This is true. Most black male Directors/producers/showrunners would be scared to do it.